Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Fill up -> 140 miles ( low fuel warning )
Average speed around 85 mph

Maybe I should go slower ( but where is the fun in that )
But I take a break every hr or 80-100 miles and fill up, just in case

I tried testing 65-70 But always end up 80 lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've got 40+ miles left when the fuel warning comes on, and typically get around 230 or so miles total.

Do you stop filling when the fuel nozzle cuts off, or do you top up? If you'll be parking in the sun on the sidestand, topping up to the bottom of the filler tube should be safe. If you'll be riding off the excess (or parking on the center stand) you can top up a lot more. And go a lot farther on the tank.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen an average of 46-47MPG per computer going various speeds on and off road.
However, I live in CA so the Average speed always falls in around 45+/-...
So I too fall in around 230 per tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just tested this the other day buy running the tank down. After the single bar is on for a while, the yellow fuel light comes on and the single bar begins to flash. At that time if you scroll the middle display line where fuel consumption, avg speed etc are, you will see both the amount of fuel left, and the estimated distance to empty. In my case (metric) it showed 3.2 litres remaining (which is bang on 0.8 US gal) and 74 KM (which is about 43 miles).A
As a extra note, when I filled, it still showed 2.1 litres remaining. I topped up fully, on the side stand, and took 15.240 litres which when added to 2.1 gives17.3, well short of the specified 18.8 litres, so I am thinking that the estimated remaining fuel (2.1 litres) is a bit conservative, and in fact there was more like 18.5-15.2 = 3.3 liters left. That's OK, as it means there is likely at bit of additional range.
This fillup got me 222.7 miles.
I am note usually this ANAL, but had let if run down to single bar several times before, but never far enough I guess to see the yellow gas light or flashing single bar, hence you can't see remaining fuel or distance. I just wanted to verify that it is working properly and it did exactly what the manual says it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I put a fuel container on-board and ran the bike to empty to see how much fuel, if any, was being left in the tank. As described by others, the display reads .8 gal when low fuel bar flashes. That figure seems fairly accurate, as I made it 30 miles (riding at 55 mph) on reserve before engine started sputtering. I added the 1/2 gallon I carried and proceeded to a nearby filling station where I added another 4.5 gallons. So it seems that the Queen truly has 5 gallons of usable fuel. Good news.
As to my fuel mileage experience (I have 6500 miles on the odo of 75/25 asphalt/dirt), I can average 40-45 mpg when driving the speed limit and dirt road riding but the mpg drops 30-35 when highballing the back highways at 90+.
So I can now be confident that average riding will get me an honest 200 mile range with a conservative 25 mile reserve.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have just got back from an 1800 mile trip. All on motorways. Despite the computer often telling me I was averaging 48 or 50 mpg (U.K.) this wasn't true and the actual average was over 54 mpg. Most of the time I was riding at a true 71 to 73mph (by the satnav - the speedo was indicating 78 to 80). In Germany I was riding at a true 80 and yet the real average mpg stayed the same at about 54 which I thought was impressive
Mike
Btw the computer usually gives me a correct average mpg so I am not sure what sometimes confuses it

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was out with a friend who's a new rider, hence the speeds were pretty slow as he's not too confident yet. He seems happy sitting around 50mph, so taking all the miles we covered and never going above 60, my AT achieved 68mpg (imperial, i.e. proper gallons :wink2: ). The last 100 miles of that tankful was me riding by myself at a somewhat brisker speed. Still, impressively frugal should you need to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have seen an average of 46-47MPG per computer going various speeds on and off road.
However, I live in CA so the Average speed always falls in around 45+/-...
So I too fall in around 230 per tank.
That is what mine is working out at over 5 refills
This 55 -60 MPG I have read about is pretty elusive.:smile2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The on board computer calculates the average mpg based on miles on the tripmeter. For example when I reset the tripmeter B I see the average goes to blank _ _ and it gives u another average number after u start riding again. So what I do is resetting it after I fill the tank. If u never reset it, the average number u get is everything you have ridden on your AT so far. i.e all the tanks combined.

The best way I find to know the actual average is to always fill the tank up to the same mark every time and use fuelly.com for the average mpg.

Robert

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
747 Posts
Hello

Maybe I should go slower ( but where is the fun in that )
But I take a break every hr or 80-100 miles and fill up, just in case

I tried testing 65-70 But always end up 80 lol
Reminds me of a tune:

Ah, those 80's music videos. Today, the videos are better but the music's gotten far worse.

·
Super Moderator
7,220 Posts
Reminds me of a tune:

Ah, those 80's music videos. Today, the videos are better but the music's gotten far worse.
:rolleyes: Ugg. It is oh soooo easy taking any thread off the rails with remarks about today's dismal music. Such sad pain, and corporate gree ... ... must resist.

Yeah, the AT can get up and go quite easily. Such a versatile machine.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
747 Posts
Mea culpa - I just couldn't help it. ;)

Here's my penance - taking us back to MPG. All of Red's fill ups. The dips in MPG are from long freeway runs. The peaks represent a lot of trail riding at low to medium speeds.

Almost $5k of farkles stands out like a neon sign. Yikes!

These numbers are not stock - I have an EJK jet kit on the bike tuned to Stage 2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts