Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum members,

I am finally getting around to wiring my Koso Apollo heated grips. I need to locate a switched power wire under the seat area. I will be using a Posi-Tap for a clean install.

I have searched the forum and google, but can't locate a specific wire. WHen hooking a GPS up, one forum member posted, "I took the switched live feed from the diagnostic plug (small red connector under seat) using the Black and white wire and a Posi tap very neat, job done!"

I can't tell if he was talking about the black and white wire on the plug or if it was a black an white wire from his accessory to an unknown color wire on the plug.

Can any of you give me some advice on where to tap the positive wire for my grips into?

Very Respectfully,
Greg

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know that if you install the PC-8 (which made electrical installations easier for me since I'm a novice), it plugs into the red plastic accessory alarm socket under the seat. I assume this is to identify switched power since it's connected to the battery directly but has switched and unswitched circuits. I looked at a wiring diagram (which I can not really decipher fully), and it looks like none of the wires in that particular plug are black/white. With the front accessory plug, the switched power wire is red/yellow. I would think the red/yellow in the rear plug would indicate the same thing and might be worth a shot. I'm hoping someone else more qualified responds, as my experience is limited to the electrical accessories on this bike. I do like my koso grips, though, so far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
On the accessory plug, on the left under the pillion seat (meant for Honda theft alarm) the red-yellow wire provides switched power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the accessory plug, on the left under the pillion seat (meant for Honda theft alarm) the red-yellow wire provides switched power.
Thank you for helping me. I even have a shop manual, but I can't figure out the wiring diagram.

I will look for this wire. It will be ok to tap the heated grips into this wire (red/yellow) since the grips draw (I assume?) a lot of power? The grips have a 4 amp fuse on the power wire.

Thank you again all. I sincerely appreciate it.

-Greg

·
Registered
295 Posts
I stand to be corrected but I would not connect heated grips directly to one of those switched lives unless you are looking to pick up a switched live to a relay. The load that heated grips draw is too much for those wires. You need to either fit a power supply is Eastern Beaver Pc8, Fuzeblock etc or create your own harness incorporating a relay. This harness will connect to the battery and only use the switched live to trigger the relay. You can get to the black and white on the red diagnostic plug without having to remove the passenger seat. Good luck. Take your time and have a look at simple relay wiring diagrams. It's not tricky but be careful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it all squared away. I went to the auto parts store and bought a relay and matching socket. I used the Red/Yellow wire for a switched lead. Everything is super tidy and works like a charm. Thanks for everyone's help.

V/R,
G20

1 - 7 of 7 Posts