Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Question about the tires, what did Honda fit for the launch? All the press photos feature road focused handling vs launch photos where its clearly wearing more aggressive dirt rubber.

Just wondering if Honda plans to offer knobbies as an upgrade or something...

Cheers!

Or did Honda provide bikes with both road and off-road focused tires?

· Registered
193 Posts
Hmm, would you mind if a manufacturer fed just a tiny bit nitrous oxide into the intake system, or mounted DOT slicks on the vehicle to pick up a few tics on the vehicle's 0-60 time for magazine testers? How about if computers on unnamed diesel powered Bugs were modified to burn clean when being emission tested and not burn clean when not being tested? And that VW, er the manufacturer, advertises high fuel economy and environmental purity?

I think the line should be drawn at failure to disclose any significant variation between as tested and as purchased off the showroom floor. I'm sure Honda wasn't hiding anything from the testers, but should have made it clear the tire changes had to be pointed out in the reports. People can draw their own conclusions when they know the facts.
The tries thing is common. Nitrous is a spurious analogy.

Sport bike First rides always feature a track test with cut slicks and then a road ride with the standard tires.

This is no different. They gave the AT the tools for the job.

Obversely how fair would it be for Honda to demonstrate the bike in the dirt with road tires? I mean all that will happen is the bike gets crucified for not living up to expectations.

OEM tires are (almost) always a compromise bikes or cars. And tires are often one of the easiest and most overlooked modification for those looking for more performance.

It's smart of Honda not to include dedicated knobbies, It's true 80-90% of these bikes will end up straight as straight touring machines with an ADV flavour.

I would of liked them giving the option to upgrade to the TKC's for example... but you should be able to get excellent trade in value for the Dunlops if you head to the tire shop the minute you pick the bike up...

· Registered
193 Posts
Dries, how did you find the dark instrument readout in the sunshine? One other review I read said they were difficult to read especially with a layer of dirt covering. How did you find the readoutS?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.