Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me '20 AT Manual. I just got all the suspension setup for some sportier riding and started playing with it a bit before the MABDR in May.

I'm not a big guy, 6'1" and 195, 230# with all the gear. Trying to set sag this evening, I had to completely max out the spring preload and I'm still 15-20 mm away from a 30% setting (220 mm shock is stock) so now I'm confused. I thought the AT was easily sprung for a 185-200 lb rider.

Has anyone else noticed this? Also, besides Touratech's Gold Plated, Platinum Filled $400 spring kit, does anyone else have springs for the AT? Have YOU done a re-spring?

NOTE: I did read the post from Nov. 2021, but I didn't want to revive that and he received some fairly unhelpful answers. "WhY dO YoU wANT tO SeT RacE SaG?" ect. I'm no expert, but I've been riding for a few decades and I've had a few bikes. I'm curious about whether anyone else has this issue and what you did about it.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This thread goes back to Sep. 2020 and I just read the whole thing. I found that while it started as something seemingly unrelated, all of my questions were answered in 3 pages and 15 minutes of reading/research.

I'm shocked at the number of riders that have NO idea what suspension is for and how profoundly stupid and downright dangerous some of the suggestions are. I don't know why I'm surprised, but I always am because I have tremendous faith in humanity I guess. Anyway, if my title interests you, go read that thread. There are some pretty smart guys over there too.

· Registered
330 Posts
I really cannot address the 2020, but my 2018 ATAS manual had the same problem. My weight is the same as yours, but I am about 2" shorter (have shrunk 1" over my 73 years). With all 35 clicks of preload in and tools and rain gear only in the panniers, I was sagging 42% of my suspension travel, and clearly no available weight adjustment for traveling gear and clothing. In Dec of 2018 I pulled my forks and suspension and sent them to Cogent Dynamics in NC to have everything set for my weight and riding style. Now I sag 30% with 20-25 clicks of preload, leaving an additional 10 for touring load. The difference it made in handling was incredible. I read so many riders complaints about front end wobble or shake and my first thought is that they probably haven't a clue how to properly set their sag, both front and back.

· Registered
42 Posts
Hi from East Texas,
I have a 2016 AT manual, and am only 175 lbs. I am unable to set my sag at the correct amount as well, this bike is way too under sprung.
I started riding at age 4, and rode motocross and harescrambles until my 40's. Am now 60 y/o. And yes sag setting, compression and rebound do make a difference.
I started with my preload set at max on front and back, but have since backed off to about 75% of max. I have played with the compression and rebound and found a setting that works for me.
I recently rode the Idaho BDR and well as having rode the NEBDR last year. The NEBDR has multiple class 4 sections, and my bike handled perfectly even fully loaded with camping gear and supplies. I have no complaints on how the bike handled, but I also was not riding at "race speeds".
If you are planning on riding the more technical sections at a very spirited speed, you may want to up grade your suspension.

· Registered
2023 Africa Twin 1100 manual (on backorder)
218 Posts
The 1000's have significantly weaker springs compared to the 1100's, the dampening is different as well. Comparison between the two is not applicable.

I myself on a 2021 manual at 80kg sat just fine in terms of sag, set at about 1/3rd of travel static with rider.

Respringing forks isn't too hard, rear shock is a bit of a sketchy procedure. However if you take them out yourself and take them to a suspension shop it shouldn't break the bank.

Reactions: Motojon76

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really cannot address the 2020, but my 2018 ATAS manual had the same problem. My weight is the same as yours, but I am about 2" shorter (have shrunk 1" over my 73 years). With all 35 clicks of preload in and tools and rain gear only in the panniers, I was sagging 42% of my suspension travel, and clearly no available weight adjustment for traveling gear and clothing. In Dec of 2018 I pulled my forks and suspension and sent them to Cogent Dynamics in NC to have everything set for my weight and riding style. Now I sag 30% with 20-25 clicks of preload, leaving an additional 10 for touring load. The difference it made in handling was incredible. I read so many riders complaints about front end wobble or shake and my first thought is that they probably haven't a clue how to properly set their sag, both front and back.
I'm going to call them and Ktech tomorrow. Any idea what springs you bought? Spring weight?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don't know. But Todd is a real professional and will be happy to discuss with you on the phone. Todd 828-628-9025 [email protected]

For future reference to anyone looking at Cogent, they only have 1 option for the rear shock, and 2 for the forks. Makes it easy.... if the spring works for you.

K-tech is about $100 cheaper and has several options to for more customization.

Quality is the same from my experience.

· Premium Member
278 Posts
For future reference to anyone looking at Cogent, they only have 1 option for the rear shock, and 2 for the forks. Makes it easy.... if the spring works for you.

K-tech is about $100 cheaper and has several options to for more customization.

Quality is the same from my experience.
Racetech has springs for the 1000's... maybe the 1100 too... are you doing south to north on the BDR? When in may?

· Registered
314 Posts
I'm 145 lb in my skivvies and the shock spring on my 2017 is too soft to set proper sag. With the preload max'ed out it's close enough but a higher rate spring is definitely in my future. I'll have the shock valving addressed at the same time. I had Race Tech do my forks (springs and revalving) and I'm very happy with the results.

Reactions: Motojon76

· Registered
16 Posts
The stock suspension on the AT and most other bikes for that matter cannot be tuned for a heavy rider with out replacing the springs. I took my bike to GMD Computrac in Atlanta to be tuned professionally. I worked with the owner Kent and the entire process was straight forward. So what was done, Race tech springs in the front forks and rear shock. New race tech gold vales in both fork tubes and the rear shock, New seals and fluids and professionally tuned.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The stock suspension on the AT and most other bikes for that matter cannot be tuned for a heavy rider with out replacing the springs. I took my bike to GMD Computrac in Atlanta to be tuned professionally. I worked with the owner Kent and the entire process was straight forward. So what was done, Race tech springs in the front forks and rear shock. New race tech gold vales in both fork tubes and the rear shock, New seals and fluids and professionally tuned.
I assume you have a CRF1000, or you're a VERY big guy. Yeah?

· Registered
2017 Africa Twin DCT
29 Posts
Reading alot about this, these seem undersprung for pretty much any aggressive riding. I'm 6'5" and 260.... I'm too cheap to invest in suspension on my AT and it usually only ever sees pavement.... if riding true offroad i'm on the dirt bikes. Last year I had Wheelers in NC tune my AT to the best of their ability with stock suspension.. knowing going into it that it was undersprung. I've found their changes to be abundantly better for making due with THE STOCK SUSPENSION for ME on pavement for what most would consider spirited or aggressive road riding. Obviously everyone will say this isnt ideal, but i've played with it alot and being committed to not investing in upgraded springs and valving, this reduced the front end bounce on hard corners and bottoming feel in the apex which allows me to stay planted... even with my size. Again, i'm well aware at my size that i'm in dire need of heavier springs and there is likely a better setup out there... but I choose to just roll with stock suspension since i have just as much fun on the weekend as everyone else without the thousands in price tag for the upgrade. Not criticizing those who get the suspension dialed perfectly, In the racing days, suspension is where we spent the most money. But i'm now an old weekend warrior with a bad leg and kids that ride too so I have to choose where to make those dollars count

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reading alot about this, these seem undersprung for pretty much any aggressive riding. I'm 6'5" and 260.... I'm too cheap to invest in suspension on my AT and it usually only ever sees pavement.... if riding true offroad i'm on the dirt bikes. Last year I had Wheelers in NC tune my AT to the best of their ability with stock suspension.. knowing going into it that it was undersprung. I've found their changes to be abundantly better for making due with THE STOCK SUSPENSION for ME on pavement for what most would consider spirited or aggressive road riding. Obviously everyone will say this isnt ideal, but i've played with it alot and being committed to not investing in upgraded springs and valving, this reduced the front end bounce on hard corners and bottoming feel in the apex which allows me to stay planted... even with my size. Again, i'm well aware at my size that i'm in dire need of heavier springs and there is likely a better setup out there... but I choose to just roll with stock suspension since i have just as much fun on the weekend as everyone else without the thousands in price tag for the upgrade. Not criticizing those who get the suspension dialed perfectly, In the racing days, suspension is where we spent the most money. But i'm now an old weekend warrior with a bad leg and kids that ride too so I have to choose where to make those dollars count
I have fun on the AT with stock suspension. If I wasn’t planning on the MABDR, NEBDR and TAT this year I’d leave it.

I bought K-Tech springs for under $300. No need to revalve the ‘20+.
My AT is a 2017 so yes it's the 1000 cc. I'm 5'-10" and 215 pounds with out gear. I could lose a few pounds but I'm fit not fat.
You’re not that big for sure. The 1000 has a significant difference in damping abilities, which is why the whole suspension needs rework for many riders. I’m glad the 1100 is more stout and just needs springs.

if you’re happy with it, roll it. I like mine stock, but there’s a need for me to suspend the bigboy a little better.

· Registered
16 Posts
Where are you located? I'm on the fence of doing MABDR with a pass through Laconia for the rally and then continuing on to the NEBDR or the TAT this year. I can't do all three as i still have a job. Hit me up, we might could link up?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where are you located? I'm on the fence of doing MABDR with a pass through Laconia for the rally and then continuing on to the NEBDR or the TAT this year. I can't do all three as i still have a job. Hit me up, we might could link up?
I'm near Orlando, FL. Heading up the 12th of May and starting on the 13th.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts