Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Do you wish for an Africa Twin with a shaft final drive?

• Dang, yesterday already! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Are you on crack?

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I secretly refrain sharing my response for fear of being mocked.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Why bother? Just buy the Beamer.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Is Honda coming out with a Africa Twin shaft drive?

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Only if Honda can find an extra 20 hp.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No way! That would mean I would have to sell my current AT.

Votes: 1 2.3%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
1,984 Posts
I can change it back if you like. But its hard to nail down when you branch into multiple questions with only one possible answer when 3 or more apply :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think it will come. But will the resultant bike still be an Africa Twin? I doubt very much it will be a CRF as that is highly specific and as shaft is aimed at touring (mostly). It can't really continue as Competition Racing. Unless Honda don't really care.

I think one possibility is a divergence. A chain drive range and one or two shaft drive variants that pay lip service. That take various style cues from the CRF... But are aimed at a different market share.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you looked at any of the BMW forums to see how much of a pain these shaft drives are - and how much to fix!!

One of the reasons I moved from a GS to AT.
I second this sentiment. I've had three shaft drive BMWs and they all had problems with the final drive. Covered under warranty but who wants their bike sitting in the service dept. waiting for parts? I had two GS bikes and a K1200. So the problems were with the ADV and road bikes.

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you looked at any of the BMW forums to see how much of a pain these shaft drives are - and how much to fix!!

One of the reasons I moved from a GS to AT.
Thanks for the feedback Jones. Solid comment. And now you out-of-the-slumber, I wish to be the first to Welcome you to the Forum!

·
Registered
154 Posts
How are the reliability of the Super Tenere's shaft drives?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a few problems over the 20 years of ownership of this bike.. but a problem with the shaft or drive train wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like the AT just the way it is. I sold my BMW GSA cause it was more of a touring bike. The AT while still large makes a great bike for 50/50 riding...

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Repent!!!!!
All ye who speak ill of our beloved chain drive. Less our Chain god wrath be upon you..

just saying......

1 - 20 of 79 Posts