Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Do you wish for an Africa Twin with a shaft final drive?

• Dang, yesterday already! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Are you on crack?

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I secretly refrain sharing my response for fear of being mocked.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Why bother? Just buy the Beamer.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Is Honda coming out with a Africa Twin shaft drive?

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Only if Honda can find an extra 20 hp.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No way! That would mean I would have to sell my current AT.

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know why more bikes aren't belt drive. Works fine on Harleys.
It is my understanding the belt drive is good in a relatively clean environment. Once a stone or something of similar consistency gets caught between the belt and the pulley the belt may fail which makes belts unsuitable for off road operation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It is my understanding the belt drive is good in a relatively clean environment. Once a stone or something of similar consistency gets caught between the belt and the pulley the belt may fail which makes belts unsuitable for off road operation.
Stones dont provide any major issue to a belt, there are a number of videos of stones being poured into belt drives by Eric Buel when he went that way on their Adv bike. There is a good read of a Australian guy who did 190+ countrys 2 up on a Harley with belt drive, the thing that he said caused damage was mud, if it built up and hardened repeatedly it would stretch and break the belt. I think he was still getting about 40k km out of it per belt compared to about 150k km. The issue is its a mission to change a belt on the road in a Harley, swing arm has to come out, so not as simple as a chain. I traveled many km on gravel roads on a Harley with no issues, most Adv tires will fit straight onto a bunch of the Harley models beacuse of their 21/18 wheel combos. If you have an Adv bike and you want long lasting road rubber have a look at what they are putting on Dynas etc you have a heavy duty tire with high milage and good grip levels.
20180901_124125.jpg

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yeah, I can't see stones being an issue with that amount of guard on the lower belt. But soil (mud) and sand otherwise would be problematic. Heck, I am amazed chains works as well as they do.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
Is the poll saying you are probably on crack if you want to buy a Beemer? I suppose it depends on your interpretation of the results :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Not sure if Beemer owners would be so “ghetto” as to be on crack, coke mabe, but not crack.. But then that’s just my opinion..

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Not sure if Beemer owners would be so “ghetto” as to be on crack, coke mabe, but not crack.. But then that’s just my opinion..
Molly? Spice? Bathsalts? Nah, probably just a mix of ibuprofen and Geritol with a Starbucks chaser :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you looked at any of the BMW forums to see how much of a pain these shaft drives are - and how much to fix!!

One of the reasons I moved from a GS to AT.
Amen brother. My road-gobbling FJR is a shaft drive which is where that technology belongs.

With chain drive you significantly drop the "unsprung weight" of the wheel, brakes, swing arm and drive mechanism. Lower unsprung weight means a faster responding rear suspension (frequency response) which helps keep the tire in contact with terrain when going over the rumblies. Ever see a serious dirt bike with a shaft? If so, it didn't get too far in competition I'll bet. Oh, and what is MotoGP running? They're all chains with stiff, light-weight swing-arms and wheels so they can keep the rear suspension as agile as possible.

This is also why front shocks are inverted on many performance bikes today - keep that unsprung weight down.

Willy's vote: Are you on crack?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Amen brother. My road-gobbling FJR is a shaft drive which is where that technology belongs.

View attachment 54484

With chain drive you significantly drop the "unsprung weight" of the wheel, brakes, swing arm and drive mechanism. Lower unsprung weight means a faster responding rear suspension (frequency response) which helps keep the tire in contact with terrain when going over the rumblies. Ever see a serious dirt bike with a shaft? If so, it didn't get too far in competition I'll bet. Oh, and what is MotoGP running? They're all chains with stiff, light-weight swing-arms and wheels so they can keep the rear suspension as agile as possible.

This is also why front shocks are inverted on many performance bikes today - keep that unsprung weight down.

Willy's vote: Are you on crack?
Whew-ww Willy - that is one lovely shaft!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Whew-ww Willy - that is one lovely shaft!
Ah Thumper, très bon! But do you know the difference between my shaft and my jokes?

Nobody laughs at my jokes. :)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts