Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from you about the first time you dropped your AT.

My 1st drop: I dropped my DCT at a traffic light...while surrounded by other cars and bikes. 500Kms on the odo. I was fiddling with the accelerator with my left hand while it was in D mode!!:rolleyes:
All very embarrassing and I now have a nice scar on my shin to remind me of my boo-boo.
Minor scratches on the engine guards.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Filled the fuel tank to the brim, pulled over on an adverse camber country lane, like an idiot my foot was in a bit of a dip. The resultant angle of the bike and weight of the full fuel tank was just too much for me to hold up. I let it down gently, the grass verge and Heed bars stopped any damage. I did lift the bike quickly, which my back didn't like. This taught me a lesson and was a reminder of how much a full fuel tank weighs. I came straight home and made a tool (three sections of copper pipe and a ratchet strap) to lift the bike in future. Luckily I haven't done it since. Like all accidents, this happened in a second when I was complacent.

i guess it's when the bike goes down, not if!

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
I hope not to experience that on the AT, however, in the past "letting it down gently" has given me some grace. Each time I was surprised I didn't crack some teeth as they clenched.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
710 Posts
A few weeks back I was riding fully loaded in the rough around a small runoff collection pond here in FL when I saw a damp mound of sand about the size of a pickup truck, 3-feet high. I decided to ride over it to one side instead of hitting the swamp at the edge to avoid it. Not enough speed! The front end washed out and down we go at about 15 mph. It took 2 of us to get the bike back up. When I tried alone, the bike just slid around. The Moskomoto bags took the beating without a hitch. All the gear inside was fine.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
Setting on the bike rolled it off the center stand in a parking lot that had a steeper slope that I thought, bike rolled more (and faster) than my short legs was ready for. Ended up in bike taking a nap and me doing the spits over her For about 10 sec. till I lost my balance and decided to nap with her. Between the crunch of the AT and the thud of me. My 4 other riding buddies ( all on Harley’s I might add) thought that both of us was F’d up. Didn’t help that when I was on the pavement I was rolling bac-n-forth cause I was laughing form my idiotic move. But I was up and had picked up the AT just as the first one arrived to help me, then they ALL had to come over and stare with open mouths that to only damage done was a scuff mark on the brush guard and a tiny mark on the lower eng. guard. (After they had asked about me of course).
Second nap:
Work parking lot, side stand not all the forward, both feet on pegs going to stand up and get off bike (some idiot did NOT apply the parking brake) then the slightly uneven black top decided it didn’t like where I chose to park and moved me forward a bit. I almost caught her, but was really straining so I just chose to move outta her way instead of possibly getting caught under her. Then I chased her around twice trying to pick her up cause the wheel was turned all the way to the left (the side it fell on). Got the wheel straight and picked her up.. By then the third time after the first two attempts when the front wheel rolled her away from me instead of upright. That 3rd time was NOT a charm, especially when I KNEW that would happen and I chose to do it instead of just opening my top box getting a small bungee and just tie the front brake lever back to keep that from happening...

oops you said FIRST, well I guess I can say that it was a “first” for both of those parking lots..

Reactions: awarsi

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had the bike a few days went to fuel up .. all fine paid, jumped back on bike kicked off side stand bike leaned over to my right leg and swiftly started to head for the ground clearly hadn’t got used to a full fuel load . like an idiot I did everything I could to prevent the outright drop of the bike ... and managed some how to lay it gently on its side ... still don’t know how I did it ... then struggled for 10 mins to try and get the bike back up !!! Much to the amusement of the petrol garage staff and an old lady refuelling her car

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wonder if they'd be laughing if you got hurt. Nice folks.
Didn't happen no the Twin but on my V-Strom. I came to a bridge near my former home that had one lane for two directions of traffic. The bridge had wood plank decking, it was raining and water flowing against my intended direction. The back wheel kicked out and I was down. After making sure the bike and I were okay, I looked at the long lines of cars in both directions. With the exception of one driver everyone was sitting behind the wheel glaring at me. The one exception was a pleasant very petite young lady. She asked if I was okay and if she could help get the bike vertical. She will make someone a lucky guy.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Didn't happen no the Twin but on my V-Strom. I came to a bridge near my former home that had one lane for two directions of traffic. The bridge had wood plank decking, it was raining and water flowing against my intended direction. The back wheel kicked out and I was down. After making sure the bike and I were okay, I looked at the long lines of cars in both directions. With the exception of one driver everyone was sitting behind the wheel glaring at me. The one exception was a pleasant very petite young lady. She asked if I was okay and if she could help get the bike vertical. She will make someone a lucky guy.
Well you had me feeling sorry for you right up till you mentioned the single petite blond, then I totally forgot about you and what you said.
Just kidding.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
My first AT drop came in my garage. I had wheeled it out into the driveway and washed it and then rolled it back into my garage to dry off and wax it out of direct sunlight. I went to put it up on the center stand, but my shoes and the center stand foot lever were both still wet and slippery. The bike went about 3/4 of the way up, my foot slipped off the center stand foot lever, it crashed back down and went over. No real damage, mostly it hit a bunch of topsoil and fertilizer bags I had purchased for a lawn project that mostly cushioned the fall :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
My first AT drop came in my garage. I had wheeled it out into the driveway and washed it and then rolled it back into my garage to dry off and wax it out of direct sunlight. I went to put it up on the center stand, but my shoes and the center stand foot lever were both still wet and slippery. The bike went about 3/4 of the way up, my foot slipped off the center stand foot lever, it crashed back down and went over. No real damage, mostly it hit a bunch of topsoil and fertilizer bags I had purchased for a lawn project that mostly cushioned the fall :)
Gotta show my other half this, as proof positive that slacking off on yard work is a GOOD thing, Thanks Cuch. :D

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Mine was actually on a rented Twin, standard, DCT. Standard seat, no idea that it had a lower position; 29.5 in inseam. I thought, wow, is this ever a tall bike!

Went out and ripped around the countryside for a delightful day, and fell in love with the bike.

Kind of rushing to get back to the shop before closing time, and was sitting in traffic, stopped at a light, just behind a large asphalt sealing truck, pointing down hill. Had my left foot down, kinda tippy toe, right on brake, in D. Didn't have the foot brake on very tight, started to roll forward a little, and freaked out as it started to tip left. Managed to grab a whole handful of throttle, and leapt forward into the asphalt truck, about a 6 ft. gap.

Miraculously, the truck had an iron bumper at exactly the center of the wheel height. Forks did a full compression, then a rapid decompression. I got pitched backwards off, then the bike fell over.

Nice people behind me (man and woman) came up and helped put the bike up and inquired as to my health.

I felt ok enough to ride the bike back to the dealer; it was amazingly unscathed from the incident, maybe a minor mark on a bar end weight.

Turned out that I sprained my wrist on the pitch backwards, and cracked a rib on the landing. Embarassing, to say the least.

It really caused me to question whether I wanted one of these fine bikes, but when I learned that there was a low seat and a low seat setting, I decided to make it work. Went ahead and bought the one I have now.

I still am a little nervous about the height, but getting used to it. I can pick the bike up off the pavement, but proved that I could not in sand a week or so ago. Now the "Eastbound Motowinch" accompanies me out into the boonies. (Basically an aluminium sectional stick with a rachet strap to pick the bike up with, if needed.)

I suppose if I wanted to spend money, I could go with a 19" front wheel and 17" rear to make it a little more comfortable, but I do like the ground clearance, as it is. We will see...

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
I hope to be boring and not ever have a napping AT story to share. :rolleyes:
Hmm isn’t this one of those..
“ there are two kinds of AT owners, ones who have dropped their bike and ones that have yet to drop their bike”
Just say’n
You know maybe the moral of this story is
RIDE SOMEONE ELSES AT ...
:D :LOL:

Reactions: Beowulf

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
Hmm isn’t this one of those..
“ there are two kinds of AT owners, ones who have dropped their bike and ones that have yet to drop their bike”
Just say’n
You know maybe the moral of this story is
RIDE SOMEONE ELSES AT ...
:D :LOL:
I've only dropped my bike once, and that was while traveling downhill at speed. :oops:

Other times, somebody else dropped my bike. :rolleyes:

Remaining times, the machine never made it to full nap position. These were in my "Schwarzenegger" days. :cool:

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I hope to be boring and not ever have a napping AT story to share. :rolleyes:
I have had plenty of riding related drops off-road with my 2016. That's the one I dropped in the garage as well.

I have not yet had the pleasure of dropping the 2019 yet, the lockdown has slowed that inevitable event :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
I have had plenty of riding related drops off-road with my 2016. That's the one I dropped in the garage as well.

I have not yet had the pleasure of dropping the 2019 yet, the lockdown has slowed that inevitable event :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Well Cuch at least you are not in denial about it like some one ☝ ... DT, what’s next? My dog did it..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not good at off-road riding, so I dropped my DCT at least 10 or so times when I went to an OHV area. I have HEED bunkers that kept the bike nice and protected. What a work out, picking the bike up every 20-30 minutes.
Worst drop was in some ice. I had a pretty hard crash at about 20 MPH. Crash bars did well, but I had to replace a handguard, repair a turn signal, and replace part of the dash. Also had to bend my parking brake back to original-ish shape.
I never plan on dropping the thing, but I'm so glad I bought crash protection.

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
Well Cuch at least you are not in denial about it like some one ☝ ... DT, what’s next? My dog did it..
lol !! I don't even have upper crash bars, and not planning on them any time soon. I suffered on the lower crash bar decision, but the additional junk factor wasn't too bad in the end. :rolleyes:

Can't blame dawg - don't gotz one. ?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts