Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't let the marketeers get into your heads.

Since the 50's they have been trying to keep us on the consumer treadmill and update our "dated looking" cars and motorcycles. They even try to engineer them to breakdown more often with stupidly designed parts designed to create max annoyance and cost when the bikes reach 4-6 years old.
All this to maximise profits at the cost of all else.

Lets be truthful, a good quality bike should do us 100,000km with no more than keeping consumable parts updated (clutch, brake pads, filters, oil, chain, sprockets, tires, etc...)
If one chose well, the style of the bike should not degrade its performance and feel.

So if we yearn for the great outdoors on our sleek beautiful adventure machines, then we must also want to preserve that nature we yearn for as it is intrinsically part of the experience.
To yearn for it is to love it and to want to preserve it. Updating bike, gear, etc... like a mindless consumer with less sense than dollars is a contradiction in terms.

So lets try for a bit more monogamy rather than lusting to ride the next shiny floozy who flaunts her wares at us like a painted doll.
Ride your loyal steed proudly (no matter the brand or model) and with respect for her, and respect for the nature we all yearn to visit and absorb.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I definitely didn't join with the AT for its first impressions on looks. lol - I always thought it was unattractive (coming from a street bike). So it must have been its "inner soul", or whatever. By then, the looks started to grow on me. Nevertheless, it continues to stoke all that is spirit to ride within me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi McMu72, I really feel for you and the analogy, and share your sadness. I too may be having to give up my new 2019 AT after only putting in less than three weeks with her. My situation is not at all having lost the enamor of young love, as I'm quite old. My problem is weight. Yes we all love the new slender young thing, but I've found as we get old, they all get heavier. I'm okay with that, not superficial really, but have realized I can't pick her up. I dropped her recently while making slow moves with her in a tight place, a public parking lot, and she took a dump on me. I love her and wanted to get her back up, but alas, she's too heavy. I'm going to have to start looking around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't let the marketeers get into your heads.

Since the 50's they have been trying to keep us on the consumer treadmill and update our "dated looking" cars and motorcycles. They even try to engineer them to breakdown more often with stupidly designed parts designed to create max annoyance and cost when the bikes reach 4-6 years old.
All this to maximise profits at the cost of all else.

Lets be truthful, a good quality bike should do us 100,000km with no more than keeping consumable parts updated (clutch, brake pads, filters, oil, chain, sprockets, tires, etc...)
If one chose well, the style of the bike should not degrade its performance and feel.

So if we yearn for the great outdoors on our sleek beautiful adventure machines, then we must also want to preserve that nature we yearn for as it is intrinsically part of the experience.
To yearn for it is to love it and to want to preserve it. Updating bike, gear, etc... like a mindless consumer with less sense than dollars is a contradiction in terms.

So lets try for a bit more monogamy rather than lusting to ride the next shiny floozy who flaunts her wares at us like a painted doll.
Ride your loyal steed proudly (no matter the brand or model) and with respect for her, and respect for the nature we all yearn to visit and absorb.
You said a mouthful there! :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hi McMu72, I really feel for you and the analogy, and share your sadness. I too may be having to give up my new 2019 AT after only putting in less than three weeks with her. My situation is not at all having lost the enamor of young love, as I'm quite old. My problem is weight. Yes we all love the new slender young thing, but I've found as we get old, they all get heavier. I'm okay with that, not superficial really, but have realized I can't pick her up. I dropped her recently while making slow moves with her in a tight place, a public parking lot, and she took a dump on me. I love her and wanted to get her back up, but alas, she's too heavy. I'm going to have to start looking around.
Soooo much said between the lines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put her in some new underwear whenever the passion wears thin.
The wild adoration phase might have ended and things have slowed down a touch... but that's life once you've parted with your cash and put pen to paper. The same itch would be true of the next.
I know deep down she's a good one; is there when I need her, follows me down any road, can do anything a guy could ask (...within reason).
I've entertained the idea of trading up to a newer model; throw some money around, pick up a tidy black trim, louder bark that bothers the neighbors, quicker off the lights... but you can't have it all for long.
There's a lot to be said in sticking it out for reliability.
Sure... she's been shinier and some days I swear she's getting heavier...
but you rarely know what you've got until it's gone. o_O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem but I rode the 2020 base model AT.....WOW the thing is 100% better....traded my 17AT that day and having a blast. When I get bored I borrow my neighbors KLR 650 to remind me what a great bike the AT really is.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had similar reservations with my 2017 manual AT. But I saw a livestream the other day with Llel Pavey who said "your ideal bike is probably already in your garage." Yesterday a buddy and I rode an intense route that went all the way up to snowline in the Cascade Mtns (much of it on dirt roads in a cold, cold rain). We really went for it and on the approach, the ride also had some fantastic twisties. ANYWAY, I realized afterwards that I am actually totally happy with my bike. I am not a fan boy, but this bike really rocks when you ride it with intent. Aggressive tires and new front springs help!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Maybe what you need is a fiery little Italian mustang wrapped in a skimpy, strapless, open-back party dress (red of course), sporting stiletto heels and a devil-may-care attitude?

She's almost 70 lbs lighter and, because she works out daily at the gym, has a lot more energy. She might be a lot of fun to take out on the town.

Be careful though. She's not a cheap date. Her taste in jewelry and other trinkets can be quite expensive.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts