Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see this convo died a couple months ago.. which is probably a good thing for me. I just got my AT and hadn't seen the Husky 901 Norden concept. The power to weight looks to be a solid winner. The styling of the machine is just artistic to me. Some of the features on the concept (bars, extra tank, real hand guards) would make it even more appetizing. I already have a 701 and a 300 so I don't need a single track "touring" machine, nor do I need a 50/50 adv. That Norden seems to fit right in to why I wanted the AT. After drooling over the videos of the Norden, I remembered why I shied away from the 1090/1190 orange coolaid... reliability! My orange bikes (ok, orange in origin anyway) are fantastic at what they do buuuuut... the little things that ktm refuses to address just pisses me off. The clutch slave crapping out, exhaust that was made by Char-Broil, fuel pumps that can't keep up, and the botched suspension components on the 701 just left a bad taste in my mouth for more orange. Sure, I've fixed all that and they are outstanding machines now, but it's been a long expensive road. My AT only needs a bit of suspension mods to make it work for me. Maybe like others have said.. the 'newness' of the AT is mesmerizing me right now and may not last, but even as tasty as the 901 looks/sounds, I'm glad I wasn't tempted by new orange-aid.
If the 901 Norden uses the motor from the 890 Duke R (I assume they would), it could make for an amazing all-around bike. That motor is pushing out over 100 HP at the wheel and has power everywhere in the rev range. It is very strong down low and pulls hard all the way to redline. The torque is very flat and in something that light, on the road you could embarrass a lot of sport bikes. Off road, no sand wash is going to suck the power from you. I bought the 890R and it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. They put amazing brakes and very good suspension on it. So far it has been very reliable. If they can keep the level of performance that the 890R and combine it with the offroad prowess Husky/KTM is known for, they might end up with one of the best ADV bikes around. You would have light weight with a stonking motor. Pretty much the opposite of the AT. I hope Honda continues to put the AT on a diet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
If the 901 Norden uses the motor from the 890 Duke R (I assume they would), it could make for an amazing all-around bike. That motor is pushing out over 100 HP at the wheel and has power everywhere in the rev range. It is very strong down low and pulls hard all the way to redline. The torque is very flat and in something that light, on the road you could embarrass a lot of sport bikes. Off road, no sand wash is going to suck the power from you. I bought the 890R and it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. They put amazing brakes and very good suspension on it. So far it has been very reliable. If they can keep the level of performance that the 890R and combine it with the offroad prowess Husky/KTM is known for, they might end up with one of the best ADV bikes around. You would have light weight with a stonking motor. Pretty much the opposite of the AT. I hope Honda continues to put the AT on a diet.
The AT's weight is actually what got me started on this thread. Admittedly, I'm prone to temptation every 4-5 years in what seems like a never ending quest for a unicorn, with weight being a bigger and bigger factor in my decision making. If only Honda would take the XR650L and give it fuel injection and the Rally treatment... I read recently that Kawasaki is finally ready to release their updated middle weight ADV bike in the 700cc range. Kawasaki usually puts out a decent bike at a reasonable price point, so that may be worth considering. Hopefully it comes in at a reasonable weight too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I loved my XL650R as well. As long as I didn't have to go too fast on the road. I think my Duke 890R only weighs about 40-50 pounds more than the XL650R ready to ride and the 890 has a bigger fuel tank (almost 4 gallons). The 2020 ATAS ES DCT is about 530lbs but with about 2.5 gallons more than my 890. Had a chance to ride the 2020 ATAS ES DCT today and swap back and forth for bit while he road my 890. The 2020 AT definitely feels lighter than my 2018 ATAS DCT did. Seems to rev out better. Pretty much quicker at any speed/rpm as well. But then I'd get back on my 890 and it felt like such a pig. Then we would swap again and after riding the AT a bit again it felt nice on its own right.

For me, the ideal package is probably something pretty light( less than 420 fully gassed) and with about 120 HP at the crank. For a daily rider I absolutely love the DCT transmission and nobody else offers it. It keeps bringing me back to Honda. But weight is just the enemy me of so many aspects of dynamics. That is why I bought the 890 as it was light and I think 800-1000cc makes for a great all around motorcycle from an HP/TQ perspective, especially if you keep the weight low.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts