Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is for anyone that may be interested to improve the PUIG Touring screen. I do not sell anything. I am not promoting anything. Just sharing with the Forum.

As many of you, I had been troubling with air buffeting in my ATAS. My fork Dome Cover resolved this, but then, taking this major factor out, I understood I was having trouble with the air. The OEM windshield does not work at all for me.

I bought the PUIG Touring screen which improves things considerably, but still allows significant air pressure on the shoulders and excessive noise on my helmet, since the air stream seems to pass bellow the sides of the helmet.

Initially I assumed I needed more height on the screen, but since I did not want to install even higher screen (this is a problem on rainy days), I wanted to be able to change the height of the screen on the fly. So, I designed a screen adjusting system.

Unfortunately, for my height (1.82) it did not work as expected. The higher I put the screen, the bigger the air stream sideways to my helmet.

Finaly, I designed two flaps for the PUIG, locating them at the area I was sensing the airstream. It turned out that it works pretty fine. The pressure on my shoulders is almost zero and the noise on my helmet has drastically reduced. I can now ride without earplugs with the NEXX XWED2, which I could not before the flaps.

If anyone would need more info, like the drawing of the flaps etc, please ask, I will be glad to share.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's pretty good, Petros. Do you have some more images taken from a little further from the bike, in order to have a "bigger" view?
I was evaluating some similar modifications using the screws above the headlights but I stopped because of the handlebar interference when completely turned. I did not think about using the windscreen itself as a support for the "flaps".

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty good, Petros. Do you have some more images taken from a little further from the bike, in order to have a "bigger" view?
I was evaluating some similar modifications using the screws above the headlights but I stopped because of the handlebar interference when completely turned. I did not think about using the windscreen itself as a support for the "flaps".
Will take some photos for you Diego, and post tommorow.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Nice images. It is interesting to see sometimes in the images that the right front signal is "off" (left to us).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the refresh rate of the LEDs that cause this effect. Our eyes cannot catch up, but the camera can... Switching the LEDs rapidly, increases their life span.

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Petros Galiatsis nice bike you have there. I saw a YouTube video of someone that bought that Puig Touring screen for is ATAS. Seeing the video I realized that it's larger than the original but not taller. I thought it would be enough.
I like that helmet Nexx Wed 2 the Duna model, blue, white and red, just like your bike. It's a portuguese brand. What's your opinion on the helmet? And why not make those flaps and sell online?
What's the brand of those crash bars?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Starmad6.

The PUIG Touring is considerably wider, covers the opening that the OEM leaves open, is 1cm taller and also has a shape that push air sideways. It is a vast improvement over the OEM but for the reasons I explained I needed more coverage anyway.

The main reason I do not sell what I design (not only those flaps but also the fork tunnel cover and the screen height adjusting kit) is that I do not have the capacity to produce via laser cutting or similar, but only through traditional CNC so there are some slight imperfections that one may consider crucial when paying their hard earned money. Thus, generally I prefer to share drawings to those that want to built themselves.

Having said that, I would never share the drawings for the shield adjusting system, because it so happened that it is quite similar to a product already in the market (found it later) and I would not want to have any conflict with that manufacturer who spent money and effort to set up a production and makes a living out of it.

Fro the NEXX, it is a brilliant helmet. Full of features, very solid workmanship, lightweight, very comfortable, very well ventilated, perfect visibility, peculiarly no negative effect due to the peak even at top speed. And of course, killer looks. But it is also too noisy., at least compared to my SHOEI GT-Air. If you are used to ride with earplugs (or find a setup like I did suitable for you) it is a very good choise of a helmet.

Finally, the crash bars are the full set of OUTBACK MOTORTECH..... brilliant piece of design and engineering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts