Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a two day, 1200km loop which was partly a test run for a two week trip to Alaska in July.

The only major changes I need to make are to figure out which throttle lock to get and how to improve seat comfort. My inner glutes were really screaming and I found myself constantly shifting around. I am 6'4 230. I realise there's a few after market seats but they are quite expensive and reviews seem to suggest some improvement but nothing amazing. Seat Concepts isn't too much money mind you. Maybe just get a gel pad? Airhawk? Open to ideas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just got back from a two day, 1200km loop which was partly a test run for a two week trip to Alaska in July.

The only major changes I need to make are to figure out which throttle lock to get and how to improve seat comfort. My inner glutes were really screaming and I found myself constantly shifting around. I am 6'4 230. I realise there's a few after market seats but they are quite expensive and reviews seem to suggest some improvement but nothing amazing. Seat Concepts isn't too much money mind you. Maybe just get a gel pad? Airhawk? Open to ideas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I am also 6-4/ 230. I have the Seat Concepts Rally model. It flattens the seat, getting rid of the dip in the front and the hump on the rear. I am able to move around easily which not only adds to the long-term comfort but enables easy weight transfer while off road. It raises the front of the seat a couple of inches but not a problem for us tall guys. I would rather have a one-piece rally type straight seat but the only one I could find was way too expensive to ship from Europe. I am happy with this seat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am also 6-4/ 230. I have the Seat Concepts Rally model. It flattens the seat, getting rid of the dip in the front and the hump on the rear. I am able to move around easily which not only adds to the long-term comfort but enables easy weight transfer while off road. It raises the front of the seat a couple of inches but not a problem for us tall guys. I would rather have a one-piece rally type straight seat but the only one I could find was way too expensive to ship from Europe. I am happy with this seat.
Thanks for your input! I may just try that seat. I'm in Canada, which is the one piece seat you found?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try a pair or two of the moto-skiveez's, {under wear} I wear them and it night and day better on the sit bones, You do have get use to them, but work as they say they do. I like their shirts too, cool you down on hot days.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I find my butt gets sore too quickly, about 100 miles and I'm really starting to shift about. At least it's better than the 12GS I had as it was a mere 50 miles before numb bum set in. I've a pair of Skivees....they help get me too maybe 175 miles, but then the pain takes over. Personally, I won't mind spending £££'s on a replacement seat and wish Sargent would hurry up with their offering as I had great results when I last bought one of their products for said 12GS. I honestly dont see any reason to skimp when it comes to comfort, especially when I like doing days of 300 miles at times.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Get a good ol sheep skin. Any local shops dealing with a lot of fur products should have one. Just make sure it's genuine. Strap it on the seat for long trips.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently completed a 1800 mile trip using an AirHawk seat pad. I found that it really was a big improvement over the stock seat. I have never used an aftermarket seat, so I can't really compare, but I can say that 10 hour riding days were pretty tolerable. Not pain free, but a huge improvement over stock. The model I used was a Cruiser R Large. That happened to be the only model that was in stock in the store. I think if I was buying again, I might choose the Cruiser R Medium.

One note - if you go this way, the best way to get comfortable and not have the pad be too "slippery" is to have a very minimal amount of air in the pad (the instructions point this out several times). Inflate it only as much as you need so that you are only just off the seat - (less than 0.5") If you put too much air in it, you will "float" all over the seat and feel pretty unstable and not very comfortable.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tried an AirHawk too..... again, a tad better but not for me. Getting the amount of air right was paramount, but I felt I couldn't leave it on the saddle without fear of losing it if left unattended. It was after that that I bought the Sargent seat which was the best solution.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually bought a few pairs of underwear with a chamois crotch pad. Probably similar to the moto-skiveez. I was considering the airhawk but I don't like the idea of something extra to add and leave on the bike. May pull the trigger on the Seat Concepts seat. Good price point too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts