Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did.. I meant to put in 10-30 but half way through I realized it was 20-50. It’s the Gn4 Honda w20-50 non synthetic.
I’m in Az but it’s still only in 60’s for the high (f).
Think I’m good...??

Thanks folks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wouldn't bother me at all... Unless, as implied above, it affected the current smoothness of the DCT transmission up and down the gears. But to be honest, I doubt it's that sensitive. There will be parts of the world where the highly specified bike oil recommended won't be available.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1
As you say, the DCT might shift a bit differently with 20w50. On some older Hondas I've owned running 20W50 makes the clutch drag a little bit. The drag makes shifts a little more clunky and take a little more finesse to find neutral.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've used 20W50 Motul oil (synthetic and non-synthetic) in all my bikes for years. No issues at all with single, four or two cylinders.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Found this online...

5W-30 Motor Oil
5W-30 oil is best for vehicles that are regularly driven in colder climates where temperatures can fall below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a light oil that will circulate through an engine faster than a more dense grade. 5W-30 is designed for use in colder climates where cold engine starts are common. It is generally recommended for new and high-mileage vehicles under all weather conditions.

20W-50 Motor Oil
Due to its high-viscosity, 20W-50 is suitable for hotter climates. It is highly recommended for older vehicles. The oil's density helps protect aging engine parts and helps prevent leaks that are common with older cars. It is important to note that 20W-50 oil may be too thick for many newer passenger cars and can cause serious engine damage. Check with an automotive professional before switching motor oils.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Harley Davidson bikes have 20W50 as their recommended oil. Big v-twins with less compression than our bikes and they do just fine.
Motorcycles generally run hotter than cars and 20W50 is just fine at operating temperatures. Here in Canada you could probably use the 5W30 (my truck does) because it makes it much easier to start the 5W oil in cold temperatures.
You might find on really cold days (0 Celcius or lower) that the AT is a bit reluctant to make the first few cranks. I've ridden down to minus 8 Celcius and the starter has a bit tougher time getting the bike going. Once it's going, I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

Found this online...

5W-30 Motor Oil
5W-30 oil is best for vehicles that are regularly driven in colder climates where temperatures can fall below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a light oil that will circulate through an engine faster than a more dense grade. 5W-30 is designed for use in colder climates where cold engine starts are common. It is generally recommended for new and high-mileage vehicles under all weather conditions.

20W-50 Motor Oil
Due to its high-viscosity, 20W-50 is suitable for hotter climates. It is highly recommended for older vehicles. The oil's density helps protect aging engine parts and helps prevent leaks that are common with older cars. It is important to note that 20W-50 oil may be too thick for many newer passenger cars and can cause serious engine damage. Check with an automotive professional before switching motor oils.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd just like to point out that at very cold temperatures the 5w or 20w number matters, but at operating temperatures it is the last number that counts. The Africa Twin was designed to run on 30 weight oil, this is what Honda recommends. I'm sure it will run on 50 weight, but it has its oil galleries and so forth designed for thinner oil. 30 weight oil will have better flow than 50 weight.

If I were the OP, I'd drain the oil and replace it with something that ends with 30 rather than 50. When I had a bike that the manufacturer recommended a 40 weight oil then I used 40 weight oil every time. I know everyone is suggesting that Honda have no idea of what they are talking about when they recommend oil for their bikes, but I just can't see why they would recommend 30 weight oil without any good reason.

5w30 or 10w30 oil will be thicker when cold than 20w50 is at operating temperature, so I can't see that the bike would have any real problem running with 20w50. I just don't think it is ideal to use an oil that is so different to the one specified by the manufacturer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts