Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
A question for the brave.:surprise:
I am about to replace my headers with the ss offering from Akrapovic. To preserve the valves I will be inserting a Boosterplug into the electronic controls of the fuelling system to prevent the valves from over heating since the cat will have been removed.
I've Googled the procedure, but still have a question or two! I have looked at several youtube vids on how to get to the point of lifting the tank off, seems quite fiddly, not easy. Once I get to lifting the tank does anyone know if I can access the two relevant sensor plugs under the tank without disconnecting all the pipes and connectors around the tank ? Has anyone on here done this before ?

M

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi All,
A question for the brave.:surprise:
I am about to replace my headers with the ss offering from Akrapovic. To preserve the valves I will be inserting a Boosterplug into the electronic controls of the fuelling system to prevent the valves from over heating since the cat will have been removed.
I've Googled the procedure, but still have a question or two! I have looked at several youtube vids on how to get to the point of lifting the tank off, seems quite fiddly, not easy. Once I get to lifting the tank does anyone know if I can access the two relevant sensor plugs under the tank without disconnecting all the pipes and connectors around the tank ? Has anyone on here done this before ?

M
I would love to de-cat the AT but will this device sort of replace the required powercommander/other fuelling device to keep things sweet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi all,
Have any one checked out [or have installed]the Rapid bike/dimsport fueling device , I like how it keeps the o2 sensor in place, unlike the pvc 5.
It is not in North America as of now, but coming soon. It is in Europe now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why boosterplug ....

Hi Scotsy, The principal reason I'm inserting a boosterplug is to preserve the valves. Having said that I asked around to see who does what to compensate for de-catting, and there are several options. The one I chose is a simple plug and play, no need for remapping and dyno work, power commander as I understand it takes a bit setting up too. I had a conversation with Jonathan at Rugged roads who runs an AT with an Arrow exhaust, Ti hdrs and slip on, who won me over to boosterplug. You pays your money and takes your pick.

M

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have been wondering about the booster plug and may install one. Since I am at a higher elevation, town at 7,000 ft. peaks at 12,000, valley at 1,086 and often ride in Colorado, is it something that I need for the bike to run smoothly though the changing elevations?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after quite a bit of dissembling requiring an organised and patient approach I managed to fit the Boosterplug. This is my first invasive procedure on the AT and I found it quite hard due to the lack of space amongst all the plumbing and electronics. A pair of long nosed pliers was my best friend.
The removal and remount of the airbox was quite a challenge, otherwise although the process is fiddly it is fairly straightforward requiring patience and much coffee.
Today I will try and find time to complete the job, tank on, electronics panel and the various outer panels, after that the Akra headers.

M

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Job completed successfully. Its not as difficult as first perceived, just requires patience, method & time.

M

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats!

Let us know your impression after your first ride with Booster Plug and the Akra.

I've running the same configuration (Akra with DB-eaters installed) on my manual AT and be more than happy with it. OK, fuel consuption is slightly higher but, from my point of view it's worth it anyway.

Cheers, gerhard

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats!

Let us know your impression after your first ride with Booster Plug and the Akra.

I've running the same configuration (Akra with DB-eaters installed) on my manual AT and be more than happy with it. OK, fuel consuption is slightly higher but, from my point of view it's worth it anyway.

Cheers, gerhard
Hi Gerhard,
I am awaiting my Akra headers and will now be travelling until end of first week in Apr, but I will post my impressions as soon as I can.

M

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys - Northern California AT owner here. I installed the booster plug on an all stock bike last week and all I can say is what a difference! I don't know your guys' level of hooliganism but I can tell you, I am 290 and I can do some mean 1st gear power wheelies as opposed to before it was not happy with me trying.

I ordered the full system from Zard and should be here next week so, we'll see what it does then.

As of now, I'm glad I bought the booster plug! Worth the money.

Protip: they are not sold out on the actual boosterplug site just everywhere else (revzilla)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I asked this question earlier in this thread but did not get a response. Any high elevation riders have any thoughts on this?

I have been wondering about the booster plug and may install one. Since I am at a higher elevation, town at 7,000 ft. peaks at 12,000, valley at 1,086 and often ride in Colorado, is it something that I need for the bike to run smoothly though the changing elevations?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi RallyX,

Apologies I seem to have forgotten to answer your post.
I had to wait until end of May for my headers due to an engineering change at Akrapovic.
The headers are well made and light for ss, good fit with easy to follow instructions.............as with all Akra gear.
With the slip-on alone, the bike was a bit more lively, then I fitted the BoosterPlug (in anticipation of the headers) now that really got it going, and finally I have the headers there is a discernable increase in accln, smoother too, NICE sound, however due principally to the BP fuel consumption has increased a little, you don't anything for nothing in this World.
I am very pleased, the whole system looks classy (and expensive).

M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts