Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so big a job. Bought a Center Stand from Rugged roads.

Was a little bit hard to install the Springs, what I ended up doing ( was doing this alone with the bike on a simple motorcycle stand ).

Tied up the new center stand with some rope, removed the rear wheel. Put a long string of a strong nylon rope through the spring bends , double strands, then me sitting behind the bike with my feet against the rear suspension link and pulled the rope towards me, this way it became easy to stretch the spring enough to hook it up to where it needs to go.

BTW its Sooooo easy to put the bike on the stand. So little force needed.

Hope you understand what I´m trying to tell you LOL. English not my native language as you probably know without me telling you ;-).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I hope the RR stand is less rusty than my OEM after two years ..... very dissapointing .... same with the OEM crash bars, rims, spokes, tank etc etc....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having center stand installed right now, along with other parts I ordered upon purchase, but were not yet in... larger wind screen, larger foot pegs (no rubber), panniers, 12 volt, light/crash bar. (I'm hearing from others that the light/crash bar is **** on the OEM Honda part. Figured I'd get some lower bars to compliment... any opinions out there?) I have absolutely no plans to ride from anywhere in Senegal. I am going to Publix to get beer, as soon as I get the bike back with the panniers!

·
Registered
400 Posts
The centre stand does indeed rust. That's because it gets grit thrown at it from the front wheel. My ATAS has a white frame and that too has rusted at the point where the centre stand presses against it to take the weight.

Geared up I must weigh over 16 stone and I find it needs a good effort to get the bike onto its centre stand. I always have panniers fitted which dosnt help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had it powder coated before installing it. Just looking at the original paint and I took it straight to the powder coater. I´m gonna buy Wurth underbody spray and spray the area where the centerstand and the frame meet. Worked very well on my Landrover defender underbody.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am re painting my centre stand where it needs it then applying some sticky clear plastic protection. Just tried using the center stand without the panniers on. Pops on dead easy. I don't think its the weight of the panniers, its the obstruction that makes it difficult to get your weight over the stand to force it down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I backed the truck up behind my bike and used a ratchet strap hooked to the bumpe. Worked like a charm.........had to cut the old ratchet strap end after it was pinched in the spring and center stand but it sure was easy to do. No tire removal, no busted knuckles, etc

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did it almost the same,put a spring puller over both springs then ratchet strap onto that,the other end around my bench,was easy but 2 snapped spring pullers,real glad iv'e got it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts