Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings: Over the weekend I installed the Givi Upper (TNH1144) and Lower (TN1151) crash bars on my 2017 DCT. The part number for the lower bars are different than a non-DCT model and I don't seem to have any of the issues with oil dipstick or DCT filer access as some of the other posts had listed. NOTE: To install the upper bars, you MUST install the lower bars first. The upper bars are connected to a bracket that is supplied with the lower bars. Upper Givi bars cannot be installed without the lower bars.

Alright, so first off, the bars look and fit great. However, the instructions (8 pictures) are sparse at best. Although it did not state to remove the exhaust, or bottom stone guard, the picture showed the bike without it, so I did. While everything was pretty straight forward, there are a couple things that bother me, and a couple things you should know before install.
1. The kit includes all required bolts and washers, HOWEVER, the lock washers provided are silver and not black, like the bolts provided. When dealing with metric bolts, I have found there are two styles, US based bolts and Japanese based bolts. The Japanese based bolts use 12mm or 14mm bolt heads and the Us based bolts use 13 and 17mm bolt heads. The bike has all factory bolts at 10, 12, 14 bolt head sizes, some of the included replacement bolts have 13mm and 17mm heads, requiring me to carry additional tools. This is not good.
2. Where the front upper bars meet the top center bar, the connection is simply a insert that bolts to each bar and looks crude. I took the included plastic advertising bumpers and installed them on the front of the cage (see pic) to cover up the connections.
3. The bars that connect the upper and lower cages have a two piece wrap around clamp to install. The clamp needs to be put on the bar, then compressed slightly with a large bar clamp so you can put the screws thru the holes. On these pieces wi Ould have expected male/female flush mounted Allen bolts so there would be no nuts sticking out of the back.

I have included some pics that may help if you have any questions... Overall install time was about 3 hours on my back in my home...

Attachments

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
282 Posts
My AT has the same bars. I purchased the uppers about two months after installing the lower bars. The exhaust and the O2 sensor connector were a bit of challenge when installing the aft, right side. I'm satisfied with the Givi bars and how well they fit. Cost was consideration in the purchase. If I upgrade the OEM skid plate, I'll get the Givi skid plate which uses the same thickness as others.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
282 Posts
I'm suspecting the Givi bars will be nice when it comes time to replace the air filters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm suspecting the Givi bars will be nice when it comes time to replace the air filters.
The front panels can be removed without taking the bars off. I have done this a couple times. I place a towel on the inside of the bars, so I don't scratch the panels when removing g them... Its tight, but it works...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My AT has the same bars. I purchased the uppers about two months after installing the lower bars. The exhaust and the O2 sensor connector were a bit of challenge when installing the aft, right side. I'm satisfied with the Givi bars and how well they fit. Cost was consideration in the purchase. If I upgrade the OEM skid plate, I'll get the Givi skid plate which uses the same thickness as others.
I installed the Givi skid plate as well. It was about a 45 minute job and I like it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you show me details on the givi TNH 1144 (upper crash bar) mounting to the frame as I am having problems mounting mine. I may be missing some parts or have them at a wrong angle or something.

I don't have the engine guards, do I need those to mount the crash bar?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of installing the Givi upper crash bars. (I have a 2018 AT DCT). I am having trouble matching the center piece that mounts under the headlights to both of the upper side bars. the inserts they provided with the screw holes are not matching up with the slots in the side bars that allow for the screws to go through. way off. looks like I am going to have to grind the slots larger to get the screws through. anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My two cents worth. I installed engine guards and upper guards last night and this morning. I suppose it took a total of 2 hours, but I worked diligently and slowly since my desire to get in a hurry usually causes lots of problems.

As everyone says the instructions are for sh*t, but the process is fairly simple anyway. The key is to start from the rear and work your way forward, making sure to just barely put a turn or two on each bolt until the entire thing is done, then go back and tighten everything.

My concern now is what happens when I have to take the front cowl off, because the upper bar mount seems to block removal of the plastic cowl. We'll find out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts