Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much deliberation I finally decided on the Cyclops TPMS over all the cheap eBay options out there. From my research it seems that most of the external TPMS transmitters (valve stem cap style) out there are pretty much the same. They have an internal battery that lasts about 2 years, an A sensor for the front and a B for the back and communicate using Bluetooth. They also sometimes come with a lock nut to help keep the sensor from coming off unexpectedly as well as spare seals and batteries. The real difference seems to be in the receiver/display unit. Some are rechargeable, some run on USB, they come in all sorts of shapes/sizes and all have different ways to mount. On top of that the price range is quite wide where a kit with just transmitters (use smart phone app to display pressures) starting at about $29 USD to the Cyclops system with a display that can be found for $129 USD.

Why I chose the Cyclops:

• Reviews were positive and mentioned they had great customer service, which I normally don't care about but had to use in this case and was very impressed.
  • Comes with a harness to hard wire the receiver/display to power, no USB connections or battery charging requirements.
  • I was able to pick it up at a local shop, where it could be returned if there were any issues with it, easier than shipping it back to China via an eBay purchase.
  • The multiple mounts that come with it allowed me to mount it exactly where I wanted to (not on the bars like most) without modifications to the mounts or bike.
Install was pretty simple, connected power/ground to my PC-8 fuse panel and ran the connector end of the wire up through the fairing and out below the Gravel Mode button. NOTE: A complaint here would be that the wire provided wasn't long enough to do this, I had to extend it using some 16ga wire and plenty of heat shrink tubing as the harness uses what appears to be about 20 gauge wire and I wanted to be certain to re-enforce the connection point between the two. Using the included flat surface mount with 3M adhesive strips attached I mounted it where the wire was left. This put the display right below the dash on the right side, in perfect view but out of the way. The transmitters mount on the wheels very easily and the lock nuts will keep them in place well. They even come with a lock nut wrench to make it easier to remove and replace them for pressure changes. I had issue getting a reading from them initially but after a phone call to their tech support line I was up and running in under 5 minutes. The technician had me reset the connection between the transmitters and receiver then go for a short ride down my street to activate them.

I haven't adjusted the factory set pressure alarm thresholds yet but will probably mess with that later tonight. I did pull one transmitter off and hear the low pressure alarm as well as see the bright red light on the face of the receiver/display light up. I think it would be difficult to miss even white riding. Overall I'm quite pleased with the kit so far, hoping to put a few miles on the bike this weekend to see how it really holds up. Here are a couple photos.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the write up, looks good. Are you running tubes or tubeless?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts