Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post but I've been lurking for a long time. Got my AT about 6 weeks ago and have been loving it. Last night I went for my first night ride (I try to avoid riding after dusk, but I got delayed at work and had to ride home around 10:30). When I got home I noticed an odd smell, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so I figured it was one of my neighbors. This morning when I got on the bike I noticed a big melted/burned spot in the center of the instrument panel bezel. A little more looking revealed that the top of the panel is also distorted and starting to melt, so it's got to be internal. I noticed that the backlight seemed much brighter at night, so I looked around for an ambient light sensor like in a car with automatic headlights, but couldn't find anything obvious. I tried running the bike for >5 mins with the high beams on to see if that would somehow cause the panel to heat up, but nothing. It's pretty obviously internal as the LCD around the big burn is discolored, so my intuition is that the backlight shorted and is burning up.

I've added some accessories including hardwiring the GPS, trail lights, and a usb charge point, but they all run through a PDM60 hooked straight to the battery, so they should be isolated from the factory wiring harness.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm getting it to the dealership ASAP but the timing couldn't be worse as I'm leaving Saturday for a 4k mi, 2 week trip through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello, first post but I've been lurking for a long time. Got my AT about 6 weeks ago and have been loving it. Last night I went for my first night ride (I try to avoid riding after dusk, but I got delayed at work and had to ride home around 10:30). When I got home I noticed an odd smell, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so I figured it was one of my neighbors. This morning when I got on the bike I noticed a big melted/burned spot in the center of the instrument panel bezel. A little more looking revealed that the top of the panel is also distorted and starting to melt, so it's got to be internal. I noticed that the backlight seemed much brighter at night, so I looked around for an ambient light sensor like in a car with automatic headlights, but couldn't find anything obvious. I tried running the bike for >5 mins with the high beams on to see if that would somehow cause the panel to heat up, but nothing. It's pretty obviously internal as the LCD around the big burn is discolored, so my intuition is that the backlight shorted and is burning up.

I've added some accessories including hardwiring the GPS, trail lights, and a usb charge point, but they all run through a PDM60 hooked straight to the battery, so they should be isolated from the factory wiring harness.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm getting it to the dealership ASAP but the timing couldn't be worse as I'm leaving Saturday for a 4k mi, 2 week trip through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.
I sure hope you can get it sorted before your trip.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a little ride tonight and some time trying to re-create the problem I can't get those areas even a little warmer than the rest of the panel. I think the most likely cause is an LED in the panel burned out right in that region and now it's dead so no more heat.

As far as the trip the display is still perfectly readable. The damage was low enough that it only effects the bottom of the second digit on the speedo. It's not getting hot so I'm pretty sure that whatever damage was done is done. I'm going to try to get it fixed before I leave, but if it's can't happen in time I'll just deal with it when I get back.

I'll make sure to keep this updated as the situation progresses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Africa Twin did the same thing yesterday some time. Not sure if it was day or night. Been on a Death Valley off road Adv trip. I can’t recreate the problem either. Bike is a week out of warranty......of course. Any one figure out the problem. Will it happen again?

·
Registered
38 Posts

Do you have the stock windscreen or aftermarket? I had an aftermarket screen cause something similar on my F800gs. Due to the the shape of the screen, it was basically acting like a magnifying glass. If the sun hit it right, it funnelled the sunlight into a narrow beam and melted stuff.

Cory

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same issue, except it's the top centre of the instrument cluster, actually on top. I also have a 12v accessory socket wired to the battery, and heated grips wired to the accessory socket behind the front cover. I also have an aftermarket screen. I've taken the bike apart thinking it might be a short where I wired in the heated grips, but it isn't. It's winter here and the problem appeared after I started using the grips, but I didn't have an issue last winter.

I didn't have the new screen on last winter. Maybe that's it. I hope so, I also have a big trip coming up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've just done a little googling, and yes, it's the windscreen. This guy has exactly the same windscreen setup as me, and had exactly the same problem.

Edit: Link not working, I'll try just posting it in full

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-owners-thread.1112644/page-837#post-33989441
So what aftermarket screen do you have? I hope it's not the MRA Sport Screen because mine is arriving tomorrow. I think it's a common problem because the description for the one I ordered said, "Absolutely zero optical focal points that can melt gauges or bodywork when exposed to sunlight."

My 2005 V-Strom 1000 came with a Givi screen that melted the top of my instrument cluster. I got rid of it and replaced it with a short screen and had no problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a V-stream. Very nice screen, works well. I think I'll just be more careful where I park my bike, and keep it covered when it's not in use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts