Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just going through the insurance process on my Africa Twin Adventure Sport, does it have HiSS or HiSS 2 ? I’m assuming HiSS 2.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was wondering the same regarding Hiss. I was on the comparison websites yesterday for my new AT AS. It didn't look like the major players, Go Compare, Confused and Moneysupermarket had the ATAS on the pick list. 2018 bikes were listed as an option but the CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure Sport (to give its full title) was not listed. The word adventure was there but I think that's a general term for the type of bike. I tried picking the 2018 option listed and was getting quotes of £2000! - for a 64 year old bloke, 9 years NCD clean licence etc
When I picked the 2015 onwards option got circa £130.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same for me, it’s not listed (it happens, or should I say, has happened every time a brand new model is released). I haven’t had a big bike since 2009 (1200 gsa) and had full no claims discount, last year I fancied a small bike to tour around the B & C roads, so bought a Honda crf250 Rally, great bike, but needs another 15 bhp (should have been a 400 Mr Honda).

Anyway, while it was in for a service I took a AT dct out, the seed was sown and then Honda did what I was thinking (except for the tubeless rims) with the ATAS, so within a couple of days of them releasing the uk price, I was up negotiating a deal :grin2:

Anyway, so no valid “no claim bonus” to use, unless I wait until middle of May and I’m off up to the Highlands then, I’ve been on the usual suspects web sites and the cheapest is £190 fully comp for an 18 AT manual and the one that looked best cover was £274 (I’m 52). So I think a phone call will have to be made, as no one appears to list the dct either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It would appear all is not as rosey as I first thought on the insurance side of things, in the UK for the ATAS. After calling Bennetts and speaking to a senior advisor, the bike is not on most underwriters systems and they will NOT assess the ATAS dct in the same or next level of rating, so if you do get a quote and many underwriters won’t quote, the quote will be 3 to 4 times higher than a standard AT:eek::confused: so the lowest quote I have managed to get is now £880 and the next one was £1220 :mad: the actual model listed on the system at the moment is Africa Twin Adventure, because it doesn’t state Sport or Dct, they won’t cover it.

Apparently this is down to the good old DVLA not giving the risk rating etc. I don’t really know what can be done about this, it would be an absolute waste of time calling the dvla. Maybe Honda Uk can do something, but speaking to someone who is actually a Honda employee is nigh on impossible.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just rang Honda Uk and asked for them to look into it, it takes a minimum 3 days for any sort of response. I would suggest everyone do the same, then it might get sort sooner rather than later. If I have to, I’ll delay collection, but I don’t want to.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This is ridiculous. The AS is no different to the standard AT. I would expect to pay no more than £150. Dealers wont be happy about this on March 1st. Wonder if its possible to get bike delivered while the Insurance is sorted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just spent 20 mins on the phone to Confused . Com
They got one Company to quote at £340. I paid £125 for my R1200RT. I will wait a few days till the listing gets sorted then many companies will quote

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just gone through the same painful experience, hoping this situation is dealt with before my bike is ready to collect on the 10th. I’m certainly not going to pay 3 to 4 times the amount of what I really should, so fingers crossed, they get the listings sorted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Two days ago my 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport was in the shop waiting for me to collect it. Wonderful. I then spent 3 hours on MoneySaving Expert, Confused.com and all the rest trying to insure it. I was given whole bunch of quotes ranging from £325 up to £700.. but when I actually called any of these insurers to talk over the fine details they all refused to insure it. Not one of them could give me a reason why.

I told them all I had been completely claim free for 32 years of riding and my last bike was a brand new GS1200 which cost me around £300 for fully comp all over Europe. They did not care.. no one wanted to even consider insuring this bike.

Even with imobiliser, Datatag, total watermarking, biometric molecular DNA sampling, alarm, tracking system, 2 x 19mm security chains and bike kept in a concrete garage with steel door 30 feet from my front door no one wanted to know.

In the end just to get cover to take the flippin bike home I was forced to pay £950 from Aviva.. Something is very wrong with this.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
It's a common problem with new models. I had the same when trying to insure my 2016 CRF two years ago with the company I'd been with for nearly ten years. At the time they said the risk was too high and wouldn't even quote! The only policy I could get was with MCE which was a reasonable price but their excess is a massive £2500! A friend is also having problems with his Z900RS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I’ve just tried Bennetts again using the Reg of a 17 plate dealer used AT dct. Even though I used the correct reg no, it did not show on the list a dct bike. I filled all the rest of the info in and my premium came to £249. I then did it all over again, this time I selected a 2018 AT, it no longer show “Africa Twin Adventure” just Africa Twin (no reg no.) when I selected get quote, I got this message:

If every ATAS buyer tell their dealer to contact Honda uk and ask them to sort this out sharpish, as I’m not taking the bike (or paying for it) until it is, I’m sure someone will get off their arse and deal with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just rang Honda to add my lamentations to this issue. They said they would look into it serously and get back to me in a couple of days as the department that deals with this are off weekends.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Two days ago my 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport was in the shop waiting for me to collect it. Wonderful. I then spent 3 hours on MoneySaving Expert, Confused.com and all the rest trying to insure it. I was given whole bunch of quotes ranging from £325 up to £700.. but when I actually called any of these insurers to talk over the fine details they all refused to insure it. Not one of them could give me a reason why.

I told them all I had been completely claim free for 32 years of riding and my last bike was a brand new GS1200 which cost me around £300 for fully comp all over Europe. They did not care.. no one wanted to even consider insuring this bike.

Even with imobiliser, Datatag, total watermarking, biometric molecular DNA sampling, alarm, tracking system, 2 x 19mm security chains and bike kept in a concrete garage with steel door 30 feet from my front door no one wanted to know.

In the end just to get cover to take the flippin bike home I was forced to pay £950 from Aviva.. Something is very wrong with this.

It’s the insurance industry I’m afraid, we have to have it by law, they set the terms and demand the cash. As you say, a small hike in the premium, to cover the fact that the bike is currently not the database, instead of the huge premium they are quoting! However, I would’ve held off taking delivery, as I don’t see why you should pay more, simply due to the industry not getting their act together and ensuring the bike is listed on their database. I know that may not be something you wanted to do, but maybe an option for you Chi, is to cancel the policy once its on the insurance database and reinsure at the correct premium. I know you will still lose out, but it may reduce the overall insurance premium cost to you.

I’ve also spoken to my supplying dealer and asked him to speak to Honda UK. It may well not have anything to do with Honda UK, but surely it’s in theirs and the supplying dealers interest, that this is not a problem for their customers, buying a new model bike.

As much as I want my bike asap, theirs no way I’m paying more for my insurance than need be, otherwise the discounts I’ve managed to negotiate with my dealer on the bike, will be lost on the insurance issue! :frown2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
It’s the insurance industry I’m afraid, we have to have it by law, they set the terms and demand the cash. As you say, a small hike in the premium, to cover the fact that the bike is currently not the database, instead of the huge premium they are quoting! However, I would’ve held off taking delivery, as I don’t see why you should pay more, simply due to the industry not getting their act together and ensuring the bike is listed on their database. I know that may not be something you wanted to do, but maybe an option for you Chi, is to cancel the policy once its on the insurance database and reinsure at the correct premium. I know you will still lose out, but it may reduce the overall insurance premium cost to you.

I’ve also spoken to my supplying dealer and asked him to speak to Honda UK. It may well not have anything to do with Honda UK, but surely it’s in theirs and the supplying dealers interest, that this is not a problem for their customers, buying a new model bike.

As much as I want my bike asap, theirs no way I’m paying more for my insurance than need be, otherwise the discounts I’ve managed to negotiate with my dealer on the bike, will be lost on the insurance issue! :frown2:
Thank you for the comment Shedracer.. yes as soon as the bike is in the database as you said I will switch insurance. Aviva even said the same and made me awareof the admin fee for cancellation and switching/adjusting will be about £35. I think I can live with that
as I will probably get it at least £600 to £700 cheaper.

I paid up for now as I was absolutely gagging to get on this bike! The shere pleasure and joy I'm having is priceless. I simply could not wait. :grin2:

·
Registered
400 Posts
What a mess this is. My Honda dealer has been on the Honda. As mentioned earlier my quote for ATAS was £340. My recent R1200RT was £125. The ironic thing is longer suspension and a bigger tank is unlikely to turn the AT into a Superbike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What a mess this is. My Honda dealer has been on the Honda. As mentioned earlier my quote for ATAS was £340. My recent R1200RT was £125. The ironic thing is longer suspension and a bigger tank is unlikely to turn the AT into a Superbike.
What I’d suggest Kev, do an online quote for a 2017 AT valued at £11k, all other info as you’ve used for your ATAS quote and see what the premium comes out at, that should give yo an idea how far out it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What I’d suggest Kev, do an online quote for a 2017 AT valued at £11k, all other info as you’ve used for your ATAS quote and see what the premium comes out at, that should give yo an idea how far out it is.
I tried all of that.. no matter what automated quotes you get when it comes to actually paying they stop you. That automated quote system is broken.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I tried all of that.. no matter what automated quotes you get when it comes to actually paying they stop you. That automated quote system is broken.
Only get stopped when getting quote on an 18 bike, if you try a 16 or 17, it still works, especially if you have a reg number To use (autotrader ;)).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts