Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, must have been asked a thousand times, I have changed from a Fireblade to an Atas so this is the 1st time to insure for 12 months and Carole Nash
Has just removed £401.00 from my account without me knowing 6 days before my insurance is due!
£338.00 policy with £350 excess! + a few bits!
I’m 57 no points or convictions and thinking that’s a bit over the top!
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
Hi, must have been asked a thousand times, I have changed from a Fireblade to an Atas so this is the 1st time to insure for 12 months and Carole Nash

Has just removed £401.00 from my account without me knowing 6 days before my insurance is due!

£338.00 policy with £350 excess! + a few bits!

I’m 57 no points or convictions and thinking that’s a bit over the top!

Any thoughts?
I've always had a renewal notice by post at least two weeks before end of policy with CN, then the premium gets charged on the day of renewal. Can't help with the quote as it's more about location and I have a multibike policy. Worth giving them a ring though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks I might ring them again and ask if they will throw the blade in for free!!
Consider yourself lucky... I pay £670 for tpft and a 2...0...0...0£ excess :crying::crying::crying:
But also my policy with MCE doesn't renew automatically. Since I sold my Varadero a week before the renewal date I didn't even tell them until after the end date so they wouldn't be able to charge an admin fee for cancelling! B$$$$$s, but unfortunately the only insurer who will insure an AT in south east London, even with 9 years no claims bonus

·
Registered
400 Posts
Carol Nash should not have taken money without advising you first.
I am with Carol Nash . ATAS. Age 65, max NCD, basic Comprehensive policy, (no recovery etc), £146. Suggest you go on a compare website to see what Nash quotes before speaking to them .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have only been insured with C/N for a year, I swapped to Atas in December as they have put on auto rejoin as I never ever use that option, i also have full no claims, but policy they sent by email this morning shows Uk/Europe breakdown cover, I checked the bank after looking at email as I thought I must have miss read it being a quote but money had already been taken!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not much better here in the US. Multi-Decade clean record, 3 motorcycles, a sedan, a 2018 pickup plus an RV trailer personal residence and a couple of rentals, and the premium on the ATAS is almost as much at the pickup. I have fairly high limits on everything, but still, OUCH!

·
Registered
19 Posts
USA 50 years old no training school discounts, clean record cars and house with different insurance company cuz they dont do motorcycles. 225$ a year full coverage on 2017 AT. A bit more than my old 06 FJR but it's a higher value bike so it's understandable. I use Nationwide btw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Carol Nash should not have taken money without advising you first.
I am with Carol Nash . ATAS. Age 65, max NCD, basic Comprehensive policy, (no recovery etc), £146. Suggest you go on a compare website to see what Nash quotes before speaking to them .
Kev that’s MUCH better than I can get and we are in similar postcodes. Can I ask how many miles you have told them you will do (I do a lot and that might be why the premium is so high)
Thanks
Mikr

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was away last week and came back to a joke premium renewal with CN for the Adventure Sports and my 19yo R1100GS.

And the letter informs me that they will be taking this Joke amount on the 13th. (yes.. I thought that too.)

I couldn't be bothered calling them today.. but I created a quote for the Honda on its own from MCE.. time on my hands. And the difference is stark. I laughed out loud.
MCE £159.57 - Honda

CN £739.99 - Honda + BMW

I'll be calling them on monday and starting the conversation with, "Ive received your renewal and will not be accepting it, please cancel the DD and send me my proof of NCB"

and see where they go from there.

I havent made a claim since 1996

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was away last week and came back to a joke premium renewal with CN for the Adventure Sports and my 19yo R1100GS.

And the letter informs me that they will be taking this Joke amount on the 13th. (yes.. I thought that too.)

I couldn't be bothered calling them today.. but I created a quote for the Honda on its own from MCE.. time on my hands. And the difference is stark. I laughed out loud.
MCE £159.57 - Honda

CN £739.99 - Honda + BMW

I'll be calling them on monday and starting the conversation with, "Ive received your renewal and will not be accepting it, please cancel the DD and send me my proof of NCB"

and see where they go from there.

I havent made a claim since 1996
I think the problem is multibike policies. They seem a good idea at the time but there are a few major drawbacks:
At renewal time the number of companies that will quote is small
If you want to put a son or daughter on as a driver of your (say) NC750, you can't because they'd have to be insured to ride the high powered bike too
You only have one NCD and it applies to either bike (so a claim on one affects the other)
at some point in a bike's life you might want to switch it to TPF&T but you can't if the other still needs comprehensive.
At the time I decided to change to separate policies there were a few other issues that I now can't remember.
The biggest obstacle to switching to separate policies is that on one bike you will get no NCD and only build it up slowly. But taking the example above when the insurer thinks they have you over a barrel, you have to bite the bullet - and in this case the two policies are probably still going to add up to less than the CN multibike premium.
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
My CN renewal clearly states that they will take money on day of renewal. I tend not to test this statement as I ring up and update bike values and have a moan anyway - get a few pounds off! I have a multibike policy based on 2 agreed value classics, modern bike as add-on. Excluding the extras I have bought (but including their £52 broker fee and European cover - which is their standard offering I think); £425. Age 60, I live in low risk area. No mileage limits. I hold an advanced qualification which helps a bit, as does membership of bike club. By the way - if you don't reduce the value of a modern bike year on year, they will carry on taking premium based on the value you tell them when you bought it, although they will only pay out book value....which obviously is less as years pass.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the problem is multibike policies. They seem a good idea at the time but there are a few major drawbacks:
At renewal time the number of companies that will quote is small
If you want to put a son or daughter on as a driver of your (say) NC750, you can't because they'd have to be insured to ride the high powered bike too
You only have one NCD and it applies to either bike (so a claim on one affects the other)
at some point in a bike's life you might want to switch it to TPF&T but you can't if the other still needs comprehensive.
At the time I decided to change to separate policies there were a few other issues that I now can't remember.
The biggest obstacle to switching to separate policies is that on one bike you will get no NCD and only build it up slowly. But taking the example above when the insurer thinks they have you over a barrel, you have to bite the bullet - and in this case the two policies are probably still going to add up to less than the CN multibike premium.
Mike
I agree with all this and would add that, if the multibikes include agreed value, no NCD is earned anyway! Fewer and fewer companies interested in mixing old and new nowadays - I think I'm on some legacy product 'cos other classic owners I know could not mix. I have a fourth bike which is on a separate policy earning NCD. It ain't worth a lot but NCD happily accrues!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts