Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a brand new -2020 CRF1100 Adventure Sports sitting in my garage. Among other accessories, I want to ad fog light on the bike. Mostly for safety. I have understand that if you use the OEM fog light you probably need to use the OEM upper crash bar as well as there is matching mounting points on them. Though I am aiming for the altrider crash bar without these mounting points.
One benefit of using the OEM fog light I understand is that the integrate to the bike electronics? So my question is if you can integrate third party fog lights on the bike as well? Or do I need to run separate cables?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, European version of AT has two blank connectors (on the left and right side of the bike) for fog lights. You need to buy two female connector for your aftermarket fog lights. Then you can control the fog lights from the function switch. Check the link for the correct connector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, European version of AT has two blank connectors (on the left and right side of the bike) for fog lights. You need to buy two female connector for your aftermarket fog lights. Then you can control the fog lights from the function switch. Check the link for the correct connector.
Thanks 😊
Is there a known power limit for these outlets?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not sure, nothing written on the service manual about the load consumption. But It can handle 4 led fog lights according to my setup. Very easy to install. Just remove the left and right upper fairings and connect the connectors. Then you have to crack the system with a scs connector, or shorten the wires of the scs connector to open the hiden menus of the bike and follow the instructions to open the fog light menu. After that you can control the fog lights via Fn switch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure, nothing written on the service manual about the load consumption. But It can handle 4 led fog lights according to my setup. Very easy to install. Just remove the left and right upper fairings and connect the connectors. Then you have to crack the system with a scs connector, or shorten the wires of the scs connector to open the hiden menus of the bike and follow the instructions to open the fog light menu. After that you can control the fog lights via Fn switch.
Do you know the connector typer for the SCS connector Also? And which pins to Short?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you check out africatwin.co.uk then they supply a genuine loom and their own fog lights, all plug n play.
I opted to get rigid dually fog lights which use deutsche connectors, the guys at africatwin.co.uk quite happily changed the connections on their loom to suit, even supplied me with the fog light switch and usb power plug that is also plug n play into the fog light loom.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
420 Posts
The oem lights are 12w each 1Amp each . The fuse is 15A for fog, cornering and clock en turning lights.
I think the realy of the foglight on the BCU can handle 8amps but I am not sure. You can also look to denali led these are 10w.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
420 Posts
56w each is al lot. I don,t or it is working but if you connect a extern relay on the orginal connectors. The contact of the relay can can switch in the live wire of the S4 instead of a separate switch. The only thing I not for sure of is the if the current of the coil of the relay is too the diagnostic system see this as a broken light. B 26 failure

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
56w each is al lot. I don,t or it is working but if you connect a extern relay on the orginal connectors. The contact of the relay can can switch in the live wire of the S4 instead of a separate switch. The only thing I not for sure of is the if the current of the coil of the relay is too the diagnostic system see this as a broken light. B 26 failure
No I beleive that 56w is for both lamps :) 4x7W LEDs in each lamp

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for all the info on here, I managed to install my Rigid Industries Fog lights again and integrated them into the fn switch using the jumper wire trick.
Couldn't track down the sumimoto connectors 100% so replace them with bullet connectors.
Thanks again people, I'm well happy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for all the info on here, I managed to install my Rigid Industries Fog lights again and integrated them into the fn switch using the jumper wire trick.
Couldn't track down the sumimoto connectors 100% so replace them with bullet connectors.
Thanks again people, I'm well happy.
View attachment 62580
This is very cool news. Can you share some more info about your installation? What year and model bike are you riding? Did you use factory wiring for the lamps (i.e. no wire harness needed, only the bullet connectors?)

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to do something similar with my 2021 ATAS/ES but don't have the information I need.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is very cool news. Can you share some more info about your installation? What year and model bike are you riding? Did you use factory wiring for the lamps (i.e. no wire harness needed, only the bullet connectors?)

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to do something similar with my 2021 ATAS/ES but don't have the information I need.
I can indeed, mount your choice of spot or flood lights on your bars or I chose to mount them on the inside fairing inserts using rubber mounted go pro mounts on my Rgid Industries floods (for dark twisty lanes).

I simply used the OE connectors clipped behind the side fairings and for ease I cut them off and used the bullet connectors because I had them and directly connected the lights, Chose the bullet connectors so I could disconnect if ever needed.

Wrapped the connectors in insulating tape just to keep any water or rain sneaking in.

With the ignition off connect your Honda SCS or use the jumper wire trick with a small piece of wire

Now turn on ignition and go into the menus on the TFT until you find service mode, go into this and turn on the aux lights (they are off as default)

I clicked out of all the menus and then turned the ignition off

now disconnect jumper wire or tool turn on your bike and you can now turn on the fogs using the FN switch on your handlebars.

hope this helps

·
Registered
423 Posts

FYI, Aux lights cannot be integrated with the Fn switch nor can they be powered through the OEM connectors on any NA bikes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can indeed, mount your choice of spot or flood lights on your bars or I chose to mount them on the inside fairing inserts using rubber mounted go pro mounts on my Rgid Industries floods (for dark twisty lanes).

I simply used the OE connectors clipped behind the side fairings and for ease I cut them off and used the bullet connectors because I had them and directly connected the lights, Chose the bullet connectors so I could disconnect if ever needed.

Wrapped the connectors in insulating tape just to keep any water or rain sneaking in.

With the ignition off connect your Honda SCS or use the jumper wire trick with a small piece of wire

View attachment 62776

Now turn on ignition and go into the menus on the TFT until you find service mode, go into this and turn on the aux lights (they are off as default)

I clicked out of all the menus and then turned the ignition off

now disconnect jumper wire or tool turn on your bike and you can now turn on the fogs using the FN switch on your handlebars.

hope this helps
Helps a ton. Many thanks!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts