Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was KTM1290 for a long time but not sure about reliability and a few other concerns. Ugly ******* too let's face it.

But the colour schemes for AT are miles off the mark imho.

So it would be CRF1000L2 DCT, if possible, but absolutely no white for personal reasons. That's a big problem. Altering the body is one thing but then there's the frame.

Could some of the knowledgeable among you predict how much it might cost (I'm in Europe) to have the bike stripped down so that the frame could be resprayed please? Maybe even to also have the body resprayed while I'm at it, if any of you know what the damage for both might be that would be splendid.

Just rough approximates would do for now as I weigh everything up.

Many thanks

PS - While I've got you. I see a lot of people complaining about lack of tubeless tyre option. Is it not possible to retro-fit tubeless tyres? If not, why not?

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you got the money you can do anything. Going that far to customize a bike , $ should be no object. Over in the US here u can spend 14 on the bike and another 14 doing what you said.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
I guess that's a personal thing making the rims tubeless. I prefer tubes in all tires. They must not be riding off road, lowering and re-upping tire pressure. Must be just street riders.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would not consider stripping down a brand new motorcycle. For start, most probably you shall loose your warranty. Then, it must be a hugely skilled workshop to reassembly the bike like it was ex-factory. Cost is a, issue also, but it is subjective I guess.

I think that you can choose a colour scheme that will match the white frame. If you really hate it though, then your only option is the standard Africa.

BTW, moving from a KTM1290 to the Africa will shock you, I think, as far as it concerns the power. Have you test rode one? The difference is HUGE. It is not that the Africa is so much under-powered; the reason is that the KTM1290 is so insanely overpowered.

Just last week I test rode a 1190 and a 1290T. While I hated the 1190 for various reasons, I absolutely loved the 1290T....what a bike. If KTM would still offer it, I would be really tempted to swap my ATAS for one. But I do not trust a second hand KTM...... (the S and R versions are not to my liking).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wanted a red/white/black - but they sold it out from underneath me (we agreed I would come in Saturday morning to get it - but they lowered the price and sold it Friday). My racing colors WERA/CRRC/AMA were red/white/black - and most of my bikes and gear since then have been a combination of those colors. But I got a good deal on the white/blue/red ATAS they had. I HATED the color scheme in the 80's, because it's what my rivals had. I'm not into shiny gold wheels either. But you know what - when I'm sitting on it - it's blue. I don't really see the paint scheme that much, the rims aren't so shiny since they are covered in dirt - and I really don't mind the colors anymore anyway. Everyone else think's it's beautiful because of the paint scheme - I think it's beautiful because at 6'4" 250lbs and a 36 inch inseam - I fit it without looking like I'm riding in the Shriners circus. Not only that - but it handles well with me on it. I think it's beautiful because I can ride it 250 miles to the coast without stopping for gas along the way or having to truck it down there. I can ride 30 miles across the beach to meet up with my friends to camp - and don't have to carry gas cans with me or make two trips to get all of my gear there. If the color scheme bothers you that much then vinyl wrap it - that will protect the paint, the warranty, and the value. Or get something else. But personally, I think it's pretty stupid to join a forum of people who like something - only to say how much you don't like the white frame - which isn't even this year's color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually like the white, but I've had a string of near-death bad luck with white vehicles. What i really want is olive with sniper tape on the bars, but not if it's gonna cost thousands and thousands to have it stripped, repainted and reassembled.

I should clarify because my first sentence was misleading. I havne't come from a 1290, I'd just been thinking about one for quite a while. I'd prefer the power but it's out of my price-range is the size of it.

Anyways, good advice lads. And so thank you. Yeah black standard is looking like a last resort. The fact that there's only one option for ATAS with a new, curious scheme in the pipeline is mad really.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pathfinder - personally I am glad to hear you are not serious about repainting a new bike… it would be thousands (easily!) and I don’t think you would be happy with the results long term. I believe the frame is actually powder coated - it would really be a b!+ch to change it.

I also agree - Honda’s choice of a white frame for the ATAS is rather odd. But then again, who am I to talk, I have the 2017 Red/White/Blue DTC. I do not care for the colors at all (however it does have a black frame). I am always surprised when people stop me to tell me how much they like the colors - and yes that does happen.

Like Robert above, I don’t really mind the colors anymore. I just ride it and enjoy it. So pick out the bike you want - and don’t sweat what others think about it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... don’t sweat what others think about it!
Ooh no I definitely don't care about that. It's all about what I want.

I believe the frame is actually powder coated - it would really be a b!+ch to change it.
Had come to terms with the idea that it would need to be sandblasted, reprimed, then repainted. I couldn't paint over white because then the curse of me and white would still be there.

It would be a b!+ch no doubt yeah. But look at it:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imagine that with camo sniper tape round the bars, custom soft bags in a shade of green, the silver bits made black and cloth-wrapped pipes. Delectable.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have seen in the net there are side covers that cover the side frame, where the legs rest. I do not know how much of the frame they cover, but I think they do cover a good part of it. Maybe take a look for those and see if they could do the job for you, as far as it concerns the very visible part of the frame.

Another potential solution would be to strip down all the plastic bodywork, wrap the rest carefully with paper and paint as much of the frame as possible with plasti-dip. The bad think is that obviously you cannot fully cover everything. The good thing is that you can peel it off if needed (for example when you shall decide to sell the bike).

For the plastic parts I would go with vinyl wrap. You need to consider that a painted bike looses value even if it was painted just to much your aesthetics rather than painted due to damages. The potential buyer will always think that the bike sustained damage and you had to paint it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wrap was the intention when 1290 was winning the planning phase yeah.

Doing my sums today and I think I'm gonna wait. I don't have the money to go half-cocked at this doing half a job.

Do you think it's possible that they'll release a new colour at some point over the next six months? Or would we basically be waiting for a 2020 line for any potential additions?

Surely they must intend to do a black ATAS.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 2019 ATAS I saw is three tone grey/black. It would be easy to add some OD wrap. Something like this - only the digital urban gold to tie in the wheels...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wrap was the intention when 1290 was winning the planning phase yeah.

Doing my sums today and I think I'm gonna wait. I don't have the money to go half-cocked at this doing half a job.

Do you think it's possible that they'll release a new colour at some point over the next six months? Or would we basically be waiting for a 2020 line for any potential additions?

Surely they must intend to do a black ATAS.
No, I do not think they shall release any new colour scheme mid year. If you can wait, then it makes sense to wait and see what the 2020 ATAS will be like in the next EICMA in November (if not wrong). It will be further upgraded anyhow, due to Euro5 (rumour has it that it will go up to 1100cc with some 100BHP, TFT screen with BT connectivity and Cruise Control). But, even so, I would be surprised if they would release the ATAS in full black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem with the grey/black, at the moment, is it cuts-out any used options. So it would mean having to purchase new.

I heard about the upgrade. Impression I got was that a bigger cc was going to be a seperate model variant. But then, here in England you can expect to pay £12-13K for a new ATAS. I'm convinced that the reason they've not bothered with cruise control up to now is cost. A bigger bike with extra features I think we can expect to see it jumping up to £15, and then its just getting silly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe even 16. If it was a 145 brake horse 1300 ATAS maybe I'd expect that kind of price tag.

Getting back to the colours though, I'll tell you something else: This new silver ATAS has a white frame and white hand-guards!!

New livery has all the hallmarks of an afterthought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I *think* that the U.S. AT Adventure Sport DCT only comes in black with grey trim. At least that is what I see from Honda Powersports site. I much prefer that over that red white and blue or all red model of previous years.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
You could always put a camel pack on a standard AT for the extra gallon of petrol and then just add the extras that the ATAS comes stock with. End up with pretty much the same bike, but a little shorter and a little lighter.. And I would say a LOT cheaper then a strip down and repaint..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts