Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I did a search, and saw that several folks have posted about a specific episode of Adventure Rider Radio. ARR is apparently now the #1 motorcycle-themed podcast, and a lot of folks have likely listened to the episode where they discuss the Rekluse clutch vs. a DCT. In the Honda corner discussing the DCT was Warren Milner, a former Honda Motorcycles Canada employee who knows an incredible amount about motorcycle development, and specifically about development of Honda machines.

Warren has actually been on the show four times, by my count - most recently this week. I always found his insight into modifying motorcycles to be evidence based and factual - if polarizing to a lot of us forum dwellers, especially those who like to really modify their bikes. I believe he provides some interesting behind-the-scenes information, and does a great job of explaining what goes into the development of a bike.

Given that his DCT interview garnered a lot of listeners, I thought I would point out the four podcasts that I know he is on in case you wanted to listen to them all:

July 20, 2017 - Has the Internet Made you Cluelessly Modify Your Motorcycle for the Worst? (with additional rider skills discussion with Brent Tkacs)

January 31, 2019 - Rekluse Auto Clutch - Africa Twin DCT Demystified - How a Slipper Clutch Works

October 31, 2019 - Moto Advice on the Internet - Valid or Nonsense (preceded by a very long discussion on footpegs)

February 4, 2021 - Is it Quality of Does it Just Look That Way?

I haven't listened to them all yet, but will over the next couple of days. I really did like his story about the development of the ATV suspension for the non-California market, that alone is worth the listen. If you listen carefully I think he occasionally lurks here on the forum - if so, "hi"!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone,

I did a search, and saw that several folks have posted about a specific episode of Adventure Rider Radio. ARR is apparently now the #1 motorcycle-themed podcast, and a lot of folks have likely listened to the episode where they discuss the Rekluse clutch vs. a DCT. In the Honda corner discussing the DCT was Warren Milner, a former Honda Motorcycles Canada employee who knows an incredible amount about motorcycle development, and specifically about development of Honda machines.

Warren has actually been on the show four times, by my count - most recently this week. I always found his insight into modifying motorcycles to be evidence based and factual - if polarizing to a lot of us forum dwellers, especially those who like to really modify their bikes. I believe he provides some interesting behind-the-scenes information, and does a great job of explaining what goes into the development of a bike.

Given that his DCT interview garnered a lot of listeners, I thought I would point out the four podcasts that I know he is on in case you wanted to listen to them all:

July 20, 2017 - Has the Internet Made you Cluelessly Modify Your Motorcycle for the Worst? (with additional rider skills discussion with Brent Tkacs)

January 31, 2019 - Rekluse Auto Clutch - Africa Twin DCT Demystified - How a Slipper Clutch Works

October 31, 2019 - Moto Advice on the Internet - Valid or Nonsense (preceded by a very long discussion on footpegs)

I haven't listened to them all yet, but will over the next couple of days. I really did like his story about the development of the ATV suspension for the non-California market, that alone is worth the listen. If you listen carefully I think he occasionally lurks here on the forum - if so, "hi"!
Hi everyone,

I did listen to the DCT one and the one from last week, ill listen to the others also, thanks for the links
Interesting dude and I totally agree with his ideas about shot-gunning a bike with mods and bolt-ons and the negative effect it could have on other aspects of the bike.
He certainly bleeds Honda red......

·
Registered
73 Posts
>>Given that his DCT interview garnered a lot of listeners, I thought I would point out the four podcasts that I know he is on in case you wanted to listen to them all:
July 20, 2017 - Has the Internet Made you Cluelessly Modify Your Motorcycle for the Worst? (with additional rider skills discussion with Brent Tkacs)<<<

I will definitely give this a listen. Watching Bret's video on the DCT was an eye opener for sure:

I am now 24 years in the motorcycle industry (Shop Sweep/Mechanic/Journeyperson/Technician/Race Technician/R&D Technician/Regional Rep/Tech Support Rep) and now work in the Motorcycle Aftermarket (SW-Motech USA) I have steady ground to stand on to agree wholeheartedly with anyone that asserts that modifying a motorcycles systems is largely a fruitless and wasteful task that only soothes the ego and lightens the pocket. Ironically, farkles don't often fit into that realm as they are things that the bike didn't come with in the first place. Easy to say from the SW-Motech chair. So yes, when you are trying to modify the stock engine, stock suspension, stock brakes, stock cooling system etc I call BS on most of it. This is especially true if you are riding a bike with a license plate on public roads or land outside of competition. With all that said, it is nuanced and anyone that blanket statement says modifying or not modifying a bike should or shouldn't be done at all is a waste of your time. It would be interesting to do a show on the cost/benefit ratio and/or rate of return on investment for any given mod. In the meantime, crash protection, tank bags, mirror extenders, saddle bags, side cases, top cases, and rear racks are AMAZING mods. ;-D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll start: Utilizing the stock adjustments to suit the suspension of your bike to you should be the first thing you adjust. Start with fresh tires, mod #1 for most people. If the springs are too soft after checking sag, this should be mod #2: Stiffer Springs. Now, do you need suspension internals modified?... For most people probably not but often the next step is a rear shock. Having someone re-valve the forks is almost always money well spent, but often the shocks are compromised from the get go. So mod #3.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Brakes: Sometimes a change of pad material is good to get more initial bite or just to have a different brake feel profile. is it largely BS on a Honda Africa Twin? Absolutely. Unless the pads are outlandishly expensive (like with standard Brembo pads for BMW/Ducat) then always go stock. I took my AT to a track day the 2nd day I owned it to give it a proper run-in. They have a bit of initial squish to them, but I appreciate that feel off road. With ABS bikes, it just isn't worth it to break the system and put -2 steel braided lines on. This would be mods #4 and #5.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does it make any sense to replace an exhaust? No. This could be argued into oblivion and it is down to personal preference. I put a full Akrapovic system on my bike because I like that it added lightness to my bike by the tune of 11.5-12 lbs because I added 50lbs of crash bars and bag carriers! I left the spark arrestors in, wish it was even quieter. Looks cool but the stock can looks fine. Modern FI works incredibly well to compensate, but I would throw a tune at it if I could. Exhaust is completely unnecessary, purely a passion purchase, nets almost nothing. Mods #6 and #7.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Personally, I've always drawn the line at hacking into the harness, ecm. The AT is the first bike I've even put crash protection on... I've removed these items on previous bikes. There's no way I could have afforded to fix the plastics, levers, radiators multiple times over. These were a good investment.

I haven't listened to the discussion yet, but in motorcycling, there's always been a culture around personalisation and certain bikes... cough ktm *cough * wouldn't even be on the road any more if it wasn't for enterprising companies and individuals out there fixing and re-engineering what the mothership refuses to do.

Ill have to give a listen and see if my blood pressure goes up or down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With your background, I would be interested to hear what you thought about the opinions shared in that podcast.
He comes off as a bit extreme in his "OEM" is best viewpoints but towards the end he seems to balance it out a bit.

·
Registered
2018 AT Manual Clutch
47 Posts
Any new insight is good information to me. I have listened to the podcasts. To be quite honest i'm not experienced enough nor do I believe I ride hard enough to know what better suspension on the AT would feel like. Maybe if I had two of the exact same bikes but one with the mods I may be able to feel it. I had no issues with my 2016 off or on road and suspect the same will be true with my 2018 when I can ride it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any new insight is good information to me. I have listened to the podcasts. To be quite honest i'm not experienced enough nor do I believe I ride hard enough to know what better suspension on the AT would feel like.
This is true for 90% of the riders out there. Also, the manufacturers have to consider selling more to the 80th percentile of the population instead of tailoring bikes to the 20th percentile. 10% of those people actually need the mods, the other 10% think they do. Yes, I could due with taughter damping on both ends of the suspension (The rear rebound is ridiculously sloppy on the stock shock) but by and large it works great and I will run those components into the ground before modifying them/replacing them. As long as I can give my KTM/Yamaha/Ducati riding friends fits keeping up with them on 50/50 tires I am happy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi everyone,

The second link dated Jan 31, 2019 has a good description of the transmission modes including the Gravel feature found at around 1:07:00 to 1:10:00.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for Sharing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with much of what he says, but his anti Riser stance is just silly, Not everyone has the same sleeve length, nor the same stance when standing off road.
I've used risers on three different bikes now, and really like the way they make me feel more comfortable on long rides.
Risers or no risers are a personal choice, not a one size fits all thing.
And under certain situations, the 'Gravel Mode' is quite handy, but I use it in conjunction with the parking brake.
Yes, it was intended for parking, but a brake is a brake, and replacing pads is easy.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with much of what he says, but his anti Riser stance is just silly, Not everyone has the same sleeve length, nor the same stance when standing off road.
I've used risers on three different bikes now, and really like the way they make me feel more comfortable on long rides.
Risers or no risers are a personal choice, not a one size fits all thing.
And under certain situations, the 'Gravel Mode' is quite handy, but I use it in conjunction with the parking brake.
Yes, it was intended for parking, but a brake is a brake, and replacing pads is easy.

Personal choice I think. But he is definitely a man of convictions.

You hoopy frood, you. I too know where my towel is, always.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts