Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. It’s a good job Honda use Iridium Spark Plugs that only need replacing every hundred years. Have you investigated how to do it ? Don’t bother. I know it’s awkward designing a motorcycle for Joe Bloggs to maintai, but that is ridiculous 😬

·
Registered
463 Posts
Timed with a valve check it won't be too bad a process. That's my plan anyway. I have no desire to be in there unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The downside of building machinery with long maintenance intervals is that the designers don't have to give accessibility as much consideration.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
It could be possible lack of access was the design compromise of securing sensitive or very venerable domains on the bike. In other words, keep easy hands and eyes away from my AT junk.

·
Registered
463 Posts
And part of the compromise of the parallel twin. The V's have more heat under the rider, higher seat heights. Of course there's the thumpers, but that's for another purpose. Air filter access would be my biggest gripe if I had to conjure one, but I ride solo and last check at 16,000 they were pretty clean. I'll probably stretch my next valve check to 40-45k depending on the season and go ahead and replace plugs, filters again then. I really don't give it a thought. I appreciate that the honda was trying to get the bike as compact as possible with accessible seat heights. It's no big deal to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
And part of the compromise of the parallel twin. The V's have more heat under the rider, higher seat heights. Of course there's the thumpers, but that's for another purpose. Air filter access would be my biggest gripe if I had to conjure one, but I ride solo and last check at 16,000 they were pretty clean. I'll probably stretch my next valve check to 40-45k depending on the season and go ahead and replace plugs, filters again then. I really don't give it a thought. I appreciate that the honda was trying to get the bike as compact as possible with accessible seat heights. It's no big deal to me.
At least there are two plugs per cylinder. I reckon there will at least always be a spark available by the time you know something is up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unless my bike gives me a symptom someone else will be doing those jobs on her. I don't mind work when its necessary but so far I am not convinced that it is. Iridium Plugs are 100K and I have yet to hear of anything but fine tuning on the valve adjustments.

Like said above, the air filters that I changed at 13K looked like they could have went another 13K, I replaced then because I was already in there to deal with the broken front cold brace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts