Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had an RD07 for 12 years.
Couldn't fault it for anything really, but time moves on and lo and behold the new AT arrives .
Took both versions out for a test ,went away impressed and took a few months to think it over.
Picked it up a couple of weeks ago and the 1k service is due.
So here are a few thoughts now that the initial buzz is past along with the new engine smell.
Honda really got it right!
The power and balance are spot on.
The power delivery is deceptive (along with the speedo out by 10 kph) bloody quick bloody fast!
On a byroads it flicks through corners very competently.
The suspension settings seem ok for my weight (85 kg)
The tyres though are not confidence inspiring in the wet or damp even after being well scuffed in.
The profile in the front makes it to my mind very twitchy.
Never quiet sure what happening beneath you.
The chain when I got the bike was way too tight
Any one with the older ATs knows what that means for the output shaft splines
So I set it to 40-45 mm slack.
I have noticed that getting into second now can come with a fair bang at low rpms.
Not sure yet is it related only happens at slow speed upshifts when motoring its fine.
Theres a bit of gravel roads where I am (grand with the AT)
But two things.
In the morning going to work the motor still isn't off the choke and its running a bit fast ( no engine breaking)
Which isn't fun on gravel, fine when its warmed up though.
When going home I have to remember to turn the traction control down to minimum because it a pain on loose surfaces at the max setting.(stutter-stutter)
But on wet roads its saved me once already.
The day I decided to buy the AT I went and ordered a SWmotech set of crash bars.
Brilliant piece of kit easy to fit and paid for all ready in a fall over.
I,m getting the luggage and centerstand (which should be standard) fitted during the 1k service.
I met another AT rider who has 10 k up on his in 6 months and his only complaint was the sticky switches and some corrosion on the spokes. The tyres also didn't inspire him too much but he was in getting Pirellis fitted.
Decent machine that more than matches it predecessor I hope.
Have an RD03 for nostalgia and fun also.
Much lighter machine though, think heavier XR650 for the US members
So that's it for now.
Oh and the side stand is too long needs to be 20 mm shorter.

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Good write-up. I am hoping to avoid the sticky switch issues (and spokes), living in mostly dry Colorado. Time will tell I guess, but I do have 72 months of Honda factory warranty to address those issues if they do pop up.

Which Pirellis did your fellow AT rider go with? I am going to put some Pirelli MT90AT’s on for the late fall/winter/early spring months, where it will primarily road riding and some forest service type roads for awhile.

My wife and I are planning a trip next year to do some motorcycling in Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Could we possibly PM you when we get deeper into the route planning process? I had a friend ask another Irish rider and the response my friend gave was “It takes 1.5 hours to ride across Ireland and 4 hours to ride around it, not much else to tell.” Now, my friend may have been paraphrasing, but I was hoping for a little more than that ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi JP,great bike.really happy with mine.i changed my tyres b4 I took it out of dealers.Conti 3,s.i too am from Ireland and drive in all weather.the tyres are great in dry but fab in wet.what part of Ireland are u from.i went touratech for crash bars and boxes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi CC

When you get to Ireland and Whales.
Haven't had the opportunity to tour Scotland yet! (Great place to tour is the unanimous opinion)
Toured Whales last May (Amazing roads Snowdonia national park truly beautiful !)
Ireland may be a small place in the global scale of things.
And yes going A to B on a motorway is a few hours.
But get off the motorways and that's where the fun starts.
The Wild Atlantic way (Driving all the coastal roads basically ) is pretty stunning.
Mix it up with some of the mountain roads through Cork and Kerry , Spend a day in the Burren in Co Clare.
Then a day or so through Connemara and Donegal and you will have six or seven days of serious riding.
Closer to when you make a decision on coming over give me a shout and I will put some road maps together.
I went with the Continental trial attack 2s today .
The OE tyres just don't do it on the wet.
Expensive option but better than the alternatives given winter is on the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi JP,great bike.really happy with mine.i changed my tyres b4 I took it out of dealers.Conti 3,s.i too am from Ireland and drive in all weather.the tyres are great in dry but fab in wet.what part of Ireland are u from.i went touratech for crash bars and boxes.
Just went with the Conti trial attack 2s.
Good to hear the tyres are working well for you.
Down Cork direction my self

·
Registered
93 Posts
Spent 6 weeks in Ireland for work, never rained once. They told me it was the best weather they had ever had, BEAUTIFUL! Was working out of STAB city Limerick, but any direction you went out of there was fabulous. The beaches were deserted (Apart from a dead sheep) and fantastic!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent 6 weeks in Ireland for work, never rained once. They told me it was the best weather they had ever had, BEAUTIFUL! Was working out of STAB city Limerick, but any direction you went out of there was fabulous. The beaches were deserted (Apart from a dead sheep) and fantastic!
The Limerick boys could get a bit sensitive about the stab moniker:grin2:
Did you get out around the Burren when you so close?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts