Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I just finished the 11day Iron Butt Rally on our Africa Twins (his 2017, mine 2018; both DCT). Rode 9797 miles and bikes were great! Modifications included custom Russell Daylong seats, 2.5 gallon aux tanks on pillion seat racks, AltRider crash bars, Clearwater driving lights, Touratech side cases and tankbags, and a Camel tank on the 2017, along with our hydration system consisting of Coleman 1 gallon jugs strapped on pillion footpeg and hosing routed up to handlebars.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow, 11 x 900 mile days
You've covered fuelling, both the bikes and the pair of you but.....what about loo stops ? Presumably a quick 5 minutes when you refuelled and getting into a routine ?
Iron Butt distances have never held any appeal to me but I certainly admire folks grit and determination to complete such vast distances in the allotted time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We practice efficiency as much as possible: for example he fuels the bikes while I get water, go to bathroom, etc. We stop for 2 fast food meals/day and hotels for 4-6 hours each night. They have 3 rest bonuses where you earn points for up to 8 hours off the bikes. Efficiency is the key.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congratulations on that remarkable accomplishment....that is an insane competition! My buddy finished just behind you guys (Rob Lightner) on his K1600....he is now thinking of a more off road capable bike for bonuses he couldn’t get to on his BMW because of the roads. Glad ya’ll finished safely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My husband and I just finished the 11day Iron Butt Rally on our Africa Twins (his 2017, mine 2018; both DCT). Rode 9797 miles and bikes were great! Modifications included custom Russell Daylong seats, 2.5 gallon aux tanks on pillion seat racks, AltRider crash bars, Clearwater driving lights, Touratech side cases and tankbags, and a Camel tank on the 2017, along with our hydration system consisting of Coleman 1 gallon jugs strapped on pillion footpeg and hosing routed up to handlebars.
I followed IBR happenings via the thread on advrider. Good job. Did you guys stick with the tubed wheels or did you convert to tubeless for quicker repairs in the event of a puncture? Did the 2018 bike have the Nomad aux tank? Any more pictures of the 2018 bike would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. This was our 4th finish; twice 2-up on a Gold Wing, then solo (as a team) in 2015 on the BMW scooter ?. My husband’s 2017AT has the Camel aux tank but I didn’t find one that fit the ‘18. Both of us had 2.5 gallon pillion seat tanks. I have an Alt Rider rack on the seat as well as the tail rack for my Givi top box. The aux tank is bolted to the rack and plumbed through the vent line. Downside is it doesn’t work in high temps, typically 85+. My dash has 2 GPS units, one for next bonus (the 595) and one for multiple stops to keep track of our timing (350). I have the Spot on my handlebar for the IBR since we have to have it for points; when solo I put it on me instead. I have a Cyclops TPM with the display on the right side of the bike next to my windscreen (there’s a small shelf space there). We stuck with the tubed tires and found the Honda inner tubes seemed to hold pressure better than non-branded. Pirelli Scorpion Trail2 tires gave us 10,000 miles with tread still left after riding a combo of high speed interstate and temps of 108 in Texas. Modified our oilers so we could open the line as needed since they are vibration activated otherwise; found they either didn’t release enough (or any) oil on a lot of roads or dumped it all at once if we went on dirt or crappy pavement. Helped eliminate a few stops to oil chains. Chains only needed minor adjustments over the 10,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few other modifications: Madstad windscreens and Camel AT windscreen brace (https://camel-adv.com/collections/h...MIk-Pu17eg4wIVlI7ICh2eKA_uEAAYASAAEgLhXPD_BwE) made supporting the GPS units possible. My husband has the Garmin Dezl 780, (modified to be as water resistant as possible). I have a Soupy’s Performance lowering link, adjustable sidestand, and larger foot on my bike. We each have a Fuzeblock under our seats for better electrical wiring distribution. We carried Motion Pro bead breaker and wrench/tire iron as well as Best Rest cycle pump. We tested the tire replacement system during a training ride when Terry’s rear tube blewout at 80 mph on the interstate in Idaho. The bike wobbled, quickly slowed, and he was able to get safely to the shoulder where thankfully there was a large grass area to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts