Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am excited to go on my first "official long ride" this week as I drive from Denver to Coeur d' Alene ID. I've done this ride several times on my Harley with kick back comfort but this will be the first time on the ATAS. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be a comfortable 1100 miles straight through, but have allowed some buffer should it become too tiring in one shot. Once up to my brothers' place in CD'A, we'll take some trail roads on as well as hit the "Car d' Alene" car show this weekend. I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on the new girl and I'll try to post up in Ride Reports section to let ya'll know how it went. :)

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
221 Posts
I’m on the MABDR. Left St Louis and road down to Damascus, 600 miles. My ass was on fire driving through Nashville in 94+ degrees in traffic. I can say now the bike ran great, I need some highway pegs and a better seat. Something to lean against would be great also. Good luck to you

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well,
I gotta tell ya, I ride about 100 miles on my '18 A/T - AS- DCT and at that point, I'm ready for a long rest. Never been any sort of "Iron butt" rider. Even with all my Goldwings, the max I'd ever ridden was 420 in one day and it 'bout killed me, AND the wife. I too would sure like a back rest on mine, as well as some cruising pegs. Might have to look into both.
Scott

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
The group I belong to did a few iron butt’s, I didn’t go on the 1000 or the 1500 ones. Nope, ain’t me! I’m not a freeway zombie, I don’t even want a 10 miles of the boring drone of the freeway. Freeways to me are like being a bored passenger on the bike instead of the rider of it. Unfortunately I missed the Great Lakes iron butt one.
Have thought about doing the Dusty Butt one (aka saddle sore 1000)..

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
52 Posts
I did a bun burner and a saddle sore many years ago on an ST1100.

I regularly do 400+ mile days of backroads on the AT. I’ve done a couple of 500+ Mile days of highway. Takes about 9 hours to go 500 miles at highway speeds and not bad at all.

Being able to stand up on the pegs when your butt gets sore makes all the difference.

For me it’s a stress reliever. It’s a chance to just get away from people and unwind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm back from my 1100 mile ride to ID and I gotta say that I'm pretty impressed with going the distance on the ATAS. Having the Corbin seat was definitely a plus from the stock board that they give you. The pros that I found on the ride were that I didn't have the exhaust drone in my ear for 17 hours like on my Harley Ultra LTD which was super nice. The Honda does very well cruising along at 80~85 mph with some higher speeds occasionally. The gas mileage I observed going into a 20mph headwind through Montana was pretty crappy at 28~ish mpg doing 85 mph. Not terrible and expected. Coming back I had the wind to my back and observed around 35mpg which I thought was great for highway driving. I used the Android Auto as I've got an Android phone and Sena headset in my helmet. For the most part, Android Auto worked flawlessly even when my headset battery ran out. The GPS screen on the bike stayed up and I was able to navigate. I was listening to Pandora for most of the ride and noted that the Sena headset lasted a solid 13 hours for music, taking calls etc. before the battery gave up. The Honda was pretty comfortable overall during my long journey. Some of the only cons that I noted: The Honda although quieter than my other bikes, had a tough time in the wind with the small windshield. This probably would have been a little better if I had the stock windscreen attached, but I don't think it would have made a significant difference. I have the Puig shorter screen installed in favor for the dark tint and "less goofiness" aesthetic. The problem wasn't with the height of the windscreen, but rather the side buffeting that I was experiencing. Obviously in the headwind, it got pretty bad. During my riding on the highway, I put my hand above my helmet with the windscreen fully extended and didn't feel much wind until I got to the very top over my helmet. The sides however, when I put my hand to either side of the windscreen, the buffeting stopped almost entirely. I will be looking for a slightly wider windscreen or possibly the side deflectors to help with the problem. The only other con that I noticed and this might be just bias towards my 1000lb RV ish Harley (and could get me banned here! lol), was that the Honda just felt a bit disconnected on straight highway riding. It was almost car-like in how it just soaked up the highway miles. I didn't have my usual highway pegs to stretch out on and just kinda felt like I was stuck in one position. I did opt for a super moto stance at certain times by putting my heels on the passenger pegs and sorta lay on the bike. My tailbone started yelling at me around 600 miles so I started with this new position which helped some. The ride changed completely when I got into the mountain twisties of Montana and Idaho. This bike really shines well in that respect. I was able to get pretty leaned over on the mountain passes and the confidence inspiring handling put a big smile on my face. Even when the Honda is currently wearing a TKC-80 front and a Mitas E07+ Dakar rear, it handled extremely well in spirited curves. Overall, I really enjoyed my ride and this particular one is classified as "extreme test" due to the length of my non-stop trip. Normally, I will ride around 600-800 miles in a day in good weather and much less during bad. Once I got to Idaho, I took a short off-road adventure through some fire trails, nothing too extreme. The ATAS handled it all in stride. The electronic suspension soaked up much of the "baby head" rocks and roots without any problems at all. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with some of the Colorado crew on here to get in some good adventure trips. I apologize for not having more pictures here, I really need to think about taking pictures more LOL

For those who are interested, My set up on the bike for the ride
2020 Honda ATAS ES
Corbin heated seat standard height
Tires: Conti TKC-80 @ 38psi front, Mitas E07+ @ 40psi rear
Puig Short dark smoke windscreen
Honda labeled hard panniers and top box
Givi upper/lower crash bars
Altrider skid

bike pic1.jpg
bike pic2.jpg

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Glad to read your back with all your bits n pieces, your a braver man then me, that many miles on a freeway would mush my brain, music/entertainment or not… I don’t even like doing that in a car..

Reactions: ursman

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other small note to those that care, I decided to see where the top speed for both total and under cruise control was. This was very brief due to the tires I was running. Bone stock was 116 mph when the governor kicked in and 100 mph with cruise engaged. Bottom line, it's plenty fast for me as an adventure bike!!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
590 Posts
Hola Ursman!

I rode the Butt Burner 1,000 mile ride back in 2009 with a fellow Skunk who was on a Ninja and we completed 1,050 in just under 22 hrs. Here are the details:

I was on my Yamaha FJR and the ride wasn't too bad. My hat's off to you for completing on an AT.

Wear that Iron Butt license frame proudly!

Reactions: ursman

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hola Ursman!

I rode the Butt Burner 1,000 mile ride back in 2009 with a fellow Skunk who was on a Ninja and we completed 1,050 in just under 22 hrs. Here are the details:

I was on my Yamaha FJR and the ride wasn't too bad. My hat's off to you for completing on an AT.

Wear that Iron Butt license frame proudly!
The last about 200 miles were pretty painful which is why I've limited myself to about 800 miles. I like the idea that you did in your writeup on the COBDR where you stowed your bike in the back of the truck for the long haul getting to the route. I may do that next time to save both my tires and my ass lol :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts