Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new member here.
So as i'am about to purchase my first Africa Twin, only one thing is making me having a bit of cold feet, with all that technology, is it a good choice to attack a 4 African countries trip? where we can't find where to fix such an advanced bike, with no parts dealers around? I know who did it riding a Tenere 700, which is a very simple motocycle compared to the AT.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
367 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

Check out William Gloege on YouTube. The guy put over 100 000 Kms with just regular maintenance. He didn't even adjust the valves.

I am sure both bikes are equally fine to tour around Africa with. But if you want something that can be fixed with a Swiss army knife and bailing wire then maybe look at bikes that have over 20 years production with out any changes... KLR650, DR650 or XR650.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome!
It's hard to go wrong with a Honda.
I believe the electronics are just icing on the AT cake. Other than the fuel-injection and other basic electronics that Honda long ago perfected, I believe you can still ride the bike if the display and associated ride-modes are non-functional. Are you looking at the Base or AS with electronic suspension? If you broke the ES the suspension would likely be "stuck" in whatever mode it was last set. These are my assumptions only...

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
... just like landing a passenger aircraft when all the software interface systems are faulted - well, maybe with less drama at least.

I mean, on the AT you won't be pulling the 4" ring paper binders off the cockpit shelf for usage instructions as the runway approaches.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Welcome!
It's hard to go wrong with a Honda.
I believe the electronics are just icing on the AT cake. Other than the fuel-injection and other basic electronics that Honda long ago perfected, I believe you can still ride the bike if the display and associated ride-modes are non-functional. Are you looking at the Base or AS with electronic suspension? If you broke the ES the suspension would likely be "stuck" in whatever mode it was last set. These are my assumptions only...
That sentence, to me, says it all!
And that's why I started a thread, months and months ago, that relates to the subject of why the BMW is used by so many in Adventure series TV shows, back country excursions, round the world rides and all that vs using a Honda Adventure Sport model. I also stated I'm no expert on any of the adventure bikes but, in watching at least some of these adventure documentaries, and seeing the BMW's break down on various occasions, then why are they using them? Why not a Honda? I'm no adventurer by any means. But, I trust my A/T A/S DCT to the core. I'd hop on it and cruise from here at home in AZ to where ever and back, without a second thought. Just my two cents.
Scott

Reactions: TN-Rider and Hachem

·
Registered
129 Posts
That sentence, to me, says it all!
And that's why I started a thread, months and months ago, that relates to the subject of why the BMW is used by so many in Adventure series TV shows, back country excursions, round the world rides and all that vs using a Honda Adventure Sport model. I also stated I'm no expert on any of the adventure bikes but, in watching at least some of these adventure documentaries, and seeing the BMW's break down on various occasions, then why are they using them? Why not a Honda? I'm no adventurer by any means. But, I trust my A/T A/S DCT to the core. I'd hop on it and cruise from here at home in AZ to where ever and back, without a second thought. Just my two cents.
Scott
Must be part of the adventure...
Will this BMW get us there or incur thousands of dollars in towing and repair expenses? Stay tuned!

·
Registered
49 Posts
BMWs are big in the adventure crowd because that's what Charlie and Ewan ended up with. If Charlie had gotten his wish and received sponsorship from KTM, we'd see big clean orange bikes in front of all the Starbucks instead. From then on, the big production adventure riding videos have been sponsored by BMW. When you find the small independently produced works, it's often either a Honda or some region-local brand that makes it easy to procure parts.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Well AIC (Incidentally, is that "AIC standing for Airman 1st Class, USAF?)
I'm not sure it was "because" Charlie and Ewan used BMW's. BMW's were extremely popular in adventure bikes way before those two took to the open roads. Thats' not to say that, those two didn't have some form of influence on the general public and you know how people are. "If they have them, then they (BMW's) must be the bikes to have!!!
Scott

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the GS was a big seller for BMW by default, no one else made anything like it for a long time. Now there is wondrous variety (and growing) in this market and no reason to be tied to one brand. We motorcyclists are truly lucky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well AIC (Incidentally, is that "AIC standing for Airman 1st Class, USAF?)
I'm not sure it was "because" Charlie and Ewan used BMW's. BMW's were extremely popular in adventure bikes way before those two took to the open roads. Thats' not to say that, those two didn't have some form of influence on the general public and you know how people are. "If they have them, then they (BMW's) must be the bikes to have!!!
Scott
No AIC is "Alice in Chains". Rooster was often taken on forums and so that became my MC forum nom-de-plume.

Admittedly I've read numerous articles that claim Long Way Around changed BMW and the motorcycle market but I've never seen numbers. (For example Why The ‘Long Way’ Series Will Always Be Synonymous With The BMW GS). I definitely know people were taking them into the wilds before that and they are very capable. I just suspect the pop culture opinion of the bikes would be different if LWA had used a different brand. BMW saw the success and doubled down, sponsoring many more trips like this.
The entire adventure market expanded with the LWA/LWD shows, but I bet BMW received the majority of the benefit due to their representation. I've always wondered if someone at KTM got fired for turning Charlie down.

I had planned for years to get a GSA and when the time came I started reading about the special wrench you needed to add oil and custom fasteners with 8 week lead times. I started looking hard at the ATAS and decided a straight metric bike suited me better. So here I am.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
375 Posts
BMW is commercially better in sell the adventure. They have a lot of training centers where they give of road courses. Honda is on that part far be behind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
BMW is commercially better in sell the adventure. They have a lot of training centers where they give of road courses. Honda is on that part far be behind.
Yup! BWM (like Harley) is really good at selling the lifestyle. They've got all the branded gear and accessories and polo shirts and hats and such. Meanwhile, with my Honda, I got a trucker cap and a pat on the back. Lol.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
375 Posts
I think the GS was a big seller for BMW by default, no one else made anything like it for a long time. Now there is wondrous variety (and growing) in this market and no reason to be tied to one brand. We motorcyclists are truly lucky.
In the 80,s we got the Transalp and RD 03,04 and 07 but also yamaha XT

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
375 Posts
Yup! BWM (like Harley) is really good at selling the lifestyle. They've got all the branded gear and accessories and polo shirts and hats and such. Meanwhile, with my Honda, I got a trucker cap and a pat on the back. Lol.
I forgot Harley also doing it well underware caps and what ever you want.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,262 Posts
Hi and welcome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts