Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question here. I see a lot of YouTube videos of other motorcycles easily lifting the front wheel off the ground when taking off, but with the Africa Twin (DCT model) I haven't seen that happen. Wondering if it is possible or if the combination of the DCT, Ride Modes and Torque Control keep that from occurring? If it is possible, what's the way to do it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've heard people mention it, using sport mode 3 and TC off. I've tried it on my 17 DCT without success. I have TKC 80s, so maybe knobbies make it more difficult on tarmac. I would love to be able to lift the front wheel over logs when off road but don't see that happening, the bike is just too heavy IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Newbie question here. I see a lot of YouTube videos of other motorcycles easily lifting the front wheel off the ground when taking off, but with the Africa Twin (DCT model) I haven't seen that happen. Wondering if it is possible or if the combination of the DCT, Ride Modes and Torque Control keep that from occurring? If it is possible, what's the way to do it?
The article at the link below (thing #3 in the list of 10) shows a guy doing a wheelie on a DCT so I guess it's possible. (Sorry, I have no idea how to actually do it. I've never done a wheelie in 24 years of riding.)

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/honda-africa-twin-test/

·
Registered
268 Posts
and TC off.
I went for a quick launch from the lights, I had TC set to 1 and it still kicked in. I might have gotten an accidental wheelie if I had TC off.
My guess is that you would NOT be able to pull a wheelie unless you have TC set to 'off', I believe Root is 100% right with this.

I have doubts about needing to be in sport 3, possibly even D mode would work. From stationary, if you give it enough gas quickly the DCT will release the clutch as quick as it can - if the revs are up quick enough then when the DCT releases the clutch you could get some lift in the front wheel.

I doubt the bike is too heavy. My previous bike was a Honda ST1300 which is over 100kg heavier, it could lift the front wheel during hard acceleration in 1st gear as it neared the peak torque RPMs. With some technique I'd think the AT could do it easier. Unfortunately I am not skilled in such techniques.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a manual so I don't know if this will be helpful at all, but (without launching and dumping the clutch) if I accelerate hard from a stop mine will lift the front wheel a bit. The bike is really at that tipping point as to whether it has enough power to power wheelie and overcome the weight. Mine will float up a little and set back down as it loses torque in the upper RPMS.
If the DCT does not have more rotating mass (equating to more power loss from the crank to the wheel) then I would assume it should be able to do the same.

Another thing you can do is shift the weight the best of your abilities. At a low speed in 1st, shift the weight to the front (I use the rear brake) once the forks compress release the brake, as the forks start to uncompress lean your weight back and give it throttle.... you should be able to power wheelie like that atleast on tarmac...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have to violently dump the clutch in 1st to get it up to balance point. It will lift the wheel without doing that but only for a second or two. Aggressive dumping not good practice with a 500 lb bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out yesterday.

Put it in manual, changed from T3 to T1, put it in 1st gear and got up to around 25 mph.

Getting on the throttle hard at that point will loft the front wheel easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The article at the link below (thing #3 in the list of 10) shows a guy doing a wheelie on a DCT so I guess it's possible. (Sorry, I have no idea how to actually do it. I've never done a wheelie in 24 years of riding.)

First Ride: 10 Things to Know About the New Africa Twin
I'm with you mate. Fifty something years' ago I was a dab hand at pulling wheelies on my Raleigh Chopper but I've never done one on a motorbike... which might be why I'm still around to write this post now :).

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,993 Posts
I do it all the time, 1st and second gear, it does take a bit more planning. Unlike a clutch its harder on a DCT because you can’t just rev the engine up and pop the clutch, but you can, in a way, achieve this with very good timing and throttle control when down shifting. But it’s much easier to do with just high RPMs and sheer torque in 1st. 2nd is a bit harder and takes some serious pulling and shifting of body weight or any nice little bump or crest/hill. I’ve done 3rd with help of a good hill ( lol almost a ramp ). Most of the time my wheel hovers about 1”-2” off the ground on the tarmac just to avoid paying cash to the state I don’t like to make them to obvious and end up getting pulled over by police i didn’t see. But I will admit that sometimes I do “accidentally“ get it a bit higher… But wheelies aren’t really my thing, I can usually be found doing max speeds down dirt/gravel roads..

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you look at Baldy's review of the Africa Twin Adventure Sports on ADVrider, he loans the bike to a former Honda engineer who easily lofts the front wheel and keeps it up. Of course the guy is a very skilled rider but he does demonstrate that it is possible with DCT. Both Traction Control and Wheelie Control have to be turned completely off for this to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts