Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Question are K and N air filters worth putting on . If you do , do you have to do any further mods

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed them at 8K service with no other mods, working OK so far but only have about 50 miles on new filters FWIW

·
Registered
787 Posts
Fitted them last year....are they worth it ? No idea, but they’ll hopefully pay for themselves while I own the bike.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I was at Powercommander a few weeks ago and their opinion was that OEM filters on bikes are now much better and you wouldn't see any improvement by fitting an aftermarket one.
Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was at Powercommander a few weeks ago and their opinion was that OEM filters on bikes are now much better and you wouldn't see any improvement by fitting an aftermarket one.
Mike
I agree & much less maintenace, I did a 3500 klm trip through some of the worst bull dust in the country, pulled the filters when I got home & by the looks of them they could of done another trip, absolutly no dust had penertrated the filters & the intake was still spotless, try that with an aftermarket filter, honda designers new what they were doing when they made the air intake system, great filtration & low maintenace

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does anyone make a removable pre-filter for the big stuff (wasps, etc,) that might fit in the inlet? Would be nice to have something you can just pull and wash to extend the life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Heck no! Hold one up to the light and assess. Then decide how often you are willing to remove, clean, and re-oil them. I have used them, but haven't for a very long time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've got about 280,000 miles on a Toyota Landcruiser that I converted over to K&N at about 75,000 miles. It works fine, no real performance hop up, but the engine still runs great, no oil consumption between long change time with synthetic oil.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Pretty tired of cleaning and re-oiling the filter. Why not just toss an OEM filter a little sooner? Filters are pretty cheap these days, and filtration is likely better with the OEM paper element.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And this is from a guy that just has to undo a few fasteners.

I cant imagine it being worth it with the amount of work it takes to change air filters on a A/T.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had been using K&N on all my 3 Varaderos. I do only tarmac of course, so I cannot really comment on whether it is adequate on dusty use.

As per K&N, you need to clean it every 50K Kms on normal use; more often on dusty environments. So, it seems that you have to clean it at least as often as you need to change the OEM. Therefore, no additional burden.

Of course, cleaning, waiting to dry off and re-oil takes some time. On the other hand, the cost may justify it.

Will I do it in my ATAS? probably not, because I have observed on my Varaderos that the mixture became marginally leaner. I understand that on the CRF1000 the mixture is already way too lean, so I will not be taking any risks. I would do it if I was willing to go all the way, meaning new end can, cat removal and a parallel CPU, like the Dimsport for example.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I ride a 2016 manual w/ 54k miles. I’m using Twin Air Foam filters w/foam filter treatment. I ride 60% off road & putt around 10-12k before cleaning. I use these filters in my dirt bikes also. I’ve never had any issues & the filters are easy to clean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have these on 2016. Probably wouldn’t do Again. Just not seeing enough reasons for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts