Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Question are K and N air filters worth putting on . If you do , do you have to do any further mods

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
55 Posts
I installed them at 8K service with no other mods, working OK so far but only have about 50 miles on new filters FWIW

·
Registered
800 Posts
Fitted them last year....are they worth it ? No idea, but they’ll hopefully pay for themselves while I own the bike.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was at Powercommander a few weeks ago and their opinion was that OEM filters on bikes are now much better and you wouldn't see any improvement by fitting an aftermarket one.
Mike

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was at Powercommander a few weeks ago and their opinion was that OEM filters on bikes are now much better and you wouldn't see any improvement by fitting an aftermarket one.
Mike
I agree & much less maintenace, I did a 3500 klm trip through some of the worst bull dust in the country, pulled the filters when I got home & by the looks of them they could of done another trip, absolutly no dust had penertrated the filters & the intake was still spotless, try that with an aftermarket filter, honda designers new what they were doing when they made the air intake system, great filtration & low maintenace

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anyone make a removable pre-filter for the big stuff (wasps, etc,) that might fit in the inlet? Would be nice to have something you can just pull and wash to extend the life.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
294 Posts
Heck no! Hold one up to the light and assess. Then decide how often you are willing to remove, clean, and re-oil them. I have used them, but haven't for a very long time.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
I've got about 280,000 miles on a Toyota Landcruiser that I converted over to K&N at about 75,000 miles. It works fine, no real performance hop up, but the engine still runs great, no oil consumption between long change time with synthetic oil.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Pretty tired of cleaning and re-oiling the filter. Why not just toss an OEM filter a little sooner? Filters are pretty cheap these days, and filtration is likely better with the OEM paper element.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had been using K&N on all my 3 Varaderos. I do only tarmac of course, so I cannot really comment on whether it is adequate on dusty use.

As per K&N, you need to clean it every 50K Kms on normal use; more often on dusty environments. So, it seems that you have to clean it at least as often as you need to change the OEM. Therefore, no additional burden.

Of course, cleaning, waiting to dry off and re-oil takes some time. On the other hand, the cost may justify it.

Will I do it in my ATAS? probably not, because I have observed on my Varaderos that the mixture became marginally leaner. I understand that on the CRF1000 the mixture is already way too lean, so I will not be taking any risks. I would do it if I was willing to go all the way, meaning new end can, cat removal and a parallel CPU, like the Dimsport for example.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I ride a 2016 manual w/ 54k miles. I’m using Twin Air Foam filters w/foam filter treatment. I ride 60% off road & putt around 10-12k before cleaning. I use these filters in my dirt bikes also. I’ve never had any issues & the filters are easy to clean.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does anyone make a removable pre-filter for the big stuff (wasps, etc,) that might fit in the inlet? Would be nice to have something you can just pull and wash to extend the life.
If I were riding in bull dust or just off road for extended periods, maybe these. Probably a performance hit too.

edit, i believe the pre's require some modding, which i do not recommend.
However they are cheap enough to look at adapting without the mod.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Well,
This thread started around 15 months ago but, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Having been driving and maintaining everything I've ever owned for the last 50 years, (cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes, boats, lawn and garden gas powered equipment, and many other things that roll), I've never ever had a reason to veer away from the factory air cleaners. In approximately 30 motorcycles, maybe the same in cars, a good dozen trucks etc. I've yet to have a motor go south because of the use of factory air cleaners.

I've ridded m/c's in dusty, dirty and muddy conditions (I hate mud) and the factory air cleaners have ALWAYS done their job. Finally, I've read many, many Car and Driver, Muscle Car, and other reports and reports on tests of K & N filters and, in all those reports, not one single one has ever reported ANY improvements in air cleaning efficiency. Absolutely ZERO enhancements to MILES PER GALLON, and zero HONEST reports of any power gain. This is a choice thing. Run what you please. I myself, have absolutely ZERO desire to go through the hassle of cleaning, washing and lubing up an oil filter when, all I have to do is, remove, replace, DONE!

Reactions: Sled and seventyone

·
Registered
391 Posts
Before you buy a K&N Filter read these filter tests and decide if it is a good idea. I won't use them.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
348 Posts
Count me as one of possibly the few that saw an improvement in HP but it was on a different vehicle. It was on a highly modified VW 1.9l TDI. I had quite a bit of dyno time running that car while tuning it. Stock it was about 90 HP and about 150 lb/ft TQ at the crank. During this set of dyno runs, it was 160 at the wheels and 367 lb/ft of torque. That was with the stock air filter. I put in a K&N and it went to 163. Did a few runs, pretty consistently 163 HP. Took out the K&N and went back to stock, down to about 160 again.

I have ran it with the K&N now in it highly modified state for over 200,000 miles and still runs great. That is with more than doubling its power output. Would I do it on the AT, no. Way too much hassle to get to in the first place and then to wait while you clean as other mentioned, it just isn't worth it. Even more so if it only resulted in about a 2% gain even though they can add up.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This thread started around 15 months ago but, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Having been driving and maintaining everything I've ever owned for the last 50 years, (cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes, boats, lawn and garden gas powered equipment, and many other things that roll), I've never ever had a reason to veer away from the factory air cleaners. In approximately 30 motorcycles, maybe the same in cars, a good dozen trucks etc. I've yet to have a motor go south because of the use of factory air cleaners.

I've ridded m/c's in dusty, dirty and muddy conditions (I hate mud) and the factory air cleaners have ALWAYS done their job.
You might want to ask KTM how many dusted motors they had to rebuild here in AU under warranty when the 1190 first came out, (with their stock air filter used in the rest of the world). To the extent that EVERY KTM adventure bike is now fitted1190,1290,1050,790 etc are all fitted before delivery with a Unifilter kit to replace stock air filter (also includes new airbox seals,main and pre filters). You might also note that the YamahaT700 here in AU comes fitted with a Unifilter (not the stock paper filter fitted in the rest of the world) and they recommend adding the pre-filter for dusty conditions.
I run the stock Honda filter but I also run pre-filters, photo shows 6k km on a pre-filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts