Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, what is the benefit/purpose of installing a 12v Power Socket when most accessories are either powered via USB or indirectly through the PC8?

Sure, I can insert a dual USB adapter into the socket but why not buy a USB charger socket power outlet in the first place?

The only other thing I can think of that would require the use of a 12v power socket would be to power a tire inflator. But even then there are some inflators that can be powered via USB.

I'm seriously thinking about removing & selling my 12v power socket but before I make any hasty decisions let me ask what you guys are using your 12v power socket for?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I installed mine so I could use a USB charger, an air pump, or a GPS device should I get one. USB is only 5V and usually limited to between 2 and 3 amps, so the number of devices that would work well is more limited. I have a PC8 but the power socket runs through it--easier to reach when it's on the dash.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed mine so I could use a USB charger, an air pump, or a GPS device should I get one. USB is only 5V and usually limited to between 2 and 3 amps, so the number of devices that would work well is more limited. I have a PC8 but the power socket runs through it--easier to reach when it's on the dash.
That's initially the same reason I got one but then I realized I can't power a GPS device and other USB devices unless I install a USB outlet.

That's when I thought of hardwiring a single USB outlet in one of the dash eyelets but the more I thought about it the more I came to the realization I need more than just one USB outlet; and that the socket was taking up space.

Regarding powering GPS via power socket...you know, I've wondered why some, if not most, owners don't just power their GPS this way. But instead they're hard wired into the bike. But that's a whole different topic.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have installed an accessory socket as well as two QC3.0 USB sockets:

The USB sockets are incredibly useful for charging my phone while using it as a GPS navigator as well as charging a powerbank that is inside my tank bag. But there are other things that don't work from a USB socket like a car charger for a DJI Mavic Air drone battery, just for one example. I also have an SAE connector available for connecting a charger or air pump, that gives me another option. I like having options, it's hard to know what I might want to do in the future. Of course, I can always plug an adaptor into the accessory socket with 2 or more USB sockets on it, but because I already have the 2 USB sockets I'll most likely use the accessory socket for something else.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Kiwimark, my Ram mount goes on the bar where your USB sockets are. I looked at USB adapters until I found one that had two outlets. It's also high-power so it will quick-charge my S8. There's an SAE socket under the seat for the compressor or whatever. Running several wires from the PC8 out to where I could reach them easily was too much like work...

·
Registered
133 Posts
USB continuously draw from your battery when changing the voltage from 12v. Immobiliser and alarms already draw constantly.
When parked up for a week or so it's possible to flatten the battery if leaving USB connected live.

Pete.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I installed the oem one. Horrible location for the fuse. Just do not plug something in that will pop it. Install was over kill by Honda. I only use mine to power my Valentine 1 radar detector. Sticker says 2 amp but fuse holder says 7.5 amp. I usually power a camping mattress air pump off a my SAE plug which doubles as my battery tender plug, I put a 10 amp fuse in that. It has worked well for 10 years now on several different bikes. I dropped the pigtail right out the side by the tool box location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi- I have a 2016 CRF-1000, which i love more than I would have thought after riding mostly Valkyries and then a GL-1800.

I do not have a lighter plug and am wondering what I need to buy in order to be able to hook up my GPS, Phone, and possibly have an extra USB plug available in the front area. I was hoping honda would have a harness available in the front that I could simply plug into but it sounds like that is not how they set up the CRF-1000.

My mechanic will do the work but is is not as familiar with the CRF-1000 as they work mostly with cruisers.

Someday I plan to get bars for around the front and hook up lights but that may be a year out.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi- I have a 2016 CRF-1000, which i love more than I would have thought after riding mostly Valkyries and then a GL-1800.

I do not have a lighter plug and am wondering what I need to buy in order to be able to hook up my GPS, Phone, and possibly have an extra USB plug available in the front area. I was hoping honda would have a harness available in the front that I could simply plug into but it sounds like that is not how they set up the CRF-1000.

My mechanic will do the work but is is not as familiar with the CRF-1000 as they work mostly with cruisers.

Someday I plan to get bars for around the front and hook up lights but that may be a year out.

Thanks!!!!
Honda sell the accessory harness that is required both to put the power outlet on the dashboard and power the auxilliary lights.

I had that harness fitted with the power socket to my bike when new. Very handy.

I'm sure you can have an auto electrician wire into the harness but just to let you know the Honda part exists. Just a matter of cost, availabilty and fitting I guess.

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
50 Posts

Thanks!!!!
Honda sell the accessory harness that is required both to put the power outlet on the dashboard and power the auxilliary lights.

I had that harness fitted with the power socket to my bike when new. Very handy.

I'm sure you can have an auto electrician wire into the harness but just to let you know the Honda part exists. Just a matter of cost, availabilty and fitting I guess.

Regards

Stuart
And if you are planning on riding off tarmac then I'd highly recommend the first thing you fit is crash bars (not Hondas "accessory" bars).

It may save you a lot of money in the longer run.

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have installed an accessory socket as well as two QC3.0 USB sockets:

The USB sockets are incredibly useful for charging my phone while using it as a GPS navigator as well as charging a powerbank that is inside my tank bag. But there are other things that don't work from a USB socket like a car charger for a DJI Mavic Air drone battery, just for one example. I also have an SAE connector available for connecting a charger or air pump, that gives me another option. I like having options, it's hard to know what I might want to do in the future. Of course, I can always plug an adaptor into the accessory socket with 2 or more USB sockets on it, but because I already have the 2 USB sockets I'll most likely use the accessory socket for something else.
Hi. Can you please tell me what parts you used for this configuration? Ie dual outputs and mounting plate. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Coming from an antique BMW, a 1999 R1100GS and buying a 2018 'Sport.

I think the power socket that is included is a bit pathetic to be honest. On my old BMW the socket is always 'Live' and goes (almost) directly to the battery. So.. it can be used when the bike is on or off. I can plug in a charger overnight and just as easily a tyre pump at any time. have a problem and I have a little (10 feet) wired LED so guaranteed light in darkness without need to carry a torch. Pop a ping pong ball on and a great "instant" camping light. Just so convenient to always have 12v available.

The socket on the 'Sport is switched. so the bike has to be 'on'. and most woefully, its no use whatsoever as a connection point for a battery charger. which to my mind is just plain silly. Missed a trick there Honda.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi. Can you please tell me what parts you used for this configuration? Ie dual outputs and mounting plate. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
The mount is this:
look like the same things (and either are the same or they are clones). YonHan now do this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772QD87Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is still QC3 and is now a 2 USB socket design, but loses the ammeter. I like the ammeter so I can see at a glance that my phone is still charging (symbol on phone screen is tiny and hard to see while riding), but if that isn't so important then it might be better to have the two sockets. I have two sockets total, where I could have 4 sockets if there were 2 x USB on each unit, but even apart from the phone it is useful to have the ammeter to see that the item in my tank bag has finished charging. I do need to make up a tether for the cap (plastic cover thingie) though, the plastic isn't flexible enough and it breaks (the part of it that acts as a hinge) - the cap on one is now in my tank bag and the other one wont last.

Does anyone know if there is something like this for USB sockets? https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Waterproof/dp/B07K6NP4NF/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544078988&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+outlet+cover+rubber+waterproof+universal

·
Registered
268 Posts
Coming from an antique BMW, a 1999 R1100GS and buying a 2018 'Sport.

I think the power socket that is included is a bit pathetic to be honest. On my old BMW the socket is always 'Live' and goes (almost) directly to the battery. So.. it can be used when the bike is on or off. I can plug in a charger overnight and just as easily a tyre pump at any time. have a problem and I have a little (10 feet) wired LED so guaranteed light in darkness without need to carry a torch. Pop a ping pong ball on and a great "instant" camping light. Just so convenient to always have 12v available.

The socket on the 'Sport is switched. so the bike has to be 'on'. and most woefully, its no use whatsoever as a connection point for a battery charger. which to my mind is just plain silly. Missed a trick there Honda.
I would disagree with this idea that the socket should be always live. I think it is MUCH more inconvenient to have a flat battery and be unable to start your bike than to take 10 seconds to pop your seat off and connect a charger to an SAE connector under the seat. I have my USB sockets powered off when I turn the key off, I don't want to accidentally leave something draining the battery and wake up to an absolute pain in the butt problem.

However, in my case the power socket is connected back to my Eastern Beaver PC-8 under the seat and I could easily move the connection to one of the permanently on connections if I wished - so I do actually have the ability to have my power socket permanently on, if I wanted it to be (which I don't). It is good to have the choice though, especially for those that want things different to standard, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would disagree with this idea that the socket should be always live. I think it is MUCH more inconvenient to have a flat battery
Ive had the GS since 1997 and I have never.. not even once. left anything.. aside from a charger plugged into the power socket.

BMWs have had always live power-sockets all through the the 80s 90s and if Im correct.. right up to the advent of the 1200 series. And I have never once heard anyone say this was a bad idea. In fact.. the most consistent complaint was that BMW didn't put it on or near the Instruments.

I remember when the 1200 first arrived.. with its switched CanBus power-sockets. one of the most common questions on the boards was where to put an 'always live'. as the switched one included was not as user friendly or convenient. Even today this is a regular question on the various forums.

But thats BMW owners.. a bit odd.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a 12v power source always live. But, USB ports have *some* parasitic draw and can slowly drain the battery. High quality USB ports like those from 3BR will have a minimal draw. Cheapo no-name USB ports can flatten a battery in a week. I always wire a USB port to a switched circuit. My 12v port is a panel mount SAE socket installed in the so-called 'tool box'. It's always live.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have my SAE for charger on an always on port on my Eastern Beaver, but it just hangs out on the left side. I really like the sanitary connection you have on your "tool box". Part source?

·
Registered
130 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts