Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this as a rider who NEVER goes off-road, but was surprised riding the 2020 sport bike that even with the elctronic suspension set on S0 it was still crashier/stiffer than my standard 2018 bike (not sport) when set on factory default suspension settings. I realise that the bike is heavier and the suspension longer, but if anything the last point should make it better off-road shouldn't it. I notice that the new 2020 range has a bike that looks more like my 2018 standard bike aimed at offroad. The front forks look different from the mainstream (Sport) bike but since the frame is the same presumably the forks are similar too (or maybe they have softened the springs for the likely one-up riding that the purchaser is going to be doing if he's doing a lot of off-road)
Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
if it feels stiff and or harsh then the compression dampening is probably set to high for you. Bottom line is your suspension should never feel really stiff or (for the most part) harsh. For the best ride and handling the suspension should be set up for you..

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it feels stiff and or harsh then the compression dampening is probably set to high for you. Bottom line is your suspension should never feel really stiff or (for the most part) harsh. For the best ride and handling the suspension should be set up for you..
I agree - but this demo bike had full electronic suspension with standard setting S1,S2 and S3 ranging (I think) from soft to hard in that order. But then you could choose a riding mode called 'offroad' which not only set engine power delivery to gentle and traction control to off (and probably disabled the anti-wheelie), but also set the suspension to S0 which I assumed was as 'soft' as you could get it and in particular will have set compression damping pretty much off
It would be interesting to hear from real offroaders who have bought this 2020 Sport bike.
Mike
PS AT-Dragon - I'm not suggesting you are not a real offroader but I don't know whether you own or have ridden the new bike

·
Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
PS AT-Dragon - I don't know whether you own or have ridden the new bike
Nope, haven’t ridden it, but it was just a general observation..
LOL! If you got me on a new 2020 you’d never get me off it...

·
Registered
178 Posts
The ES has individual suspension settings within the main menu, you can adjust the front suspension independently as well, so if someone’s been playing around with it, that might explain the problem. I personally think the ES is superb and better then the 1250 I had before, my bike is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever had (and Ive had a fair few in my time). Knocks spots off the 1000 ATAS i had too.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ES has individual suspension settings within the main menu, you can adjust the front suspension independently as well, so if someone’s been playing around with it, that might explain the problem. I personally think the ES is superb and better then the 1250 I had before, my bike is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever had (and Ive had a fair few in my time). Knocks spots off the 1000 ATAS i had too.
No - it was straight out of the box. I was the first person to ride it. The sales guy knew his stuff and he showed me the rider settings but he definitely didn't do any separate front/back changes. Hovis - do you ride off road and if so what does the new bike feel like?
Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Let me preface by saying my CRF1100L is still on order (I'm in the US). So I've not ridden one yet; forgive me if that's not what you're looking for.

I think - after hearing you say you've got gone offroad much - that there might be a delta here between expectation and practical application. Yes, you can soften up the ES and having chatted with a few of my British friends who've played with the bike it looks like it makes quite a difference. At the same time, it's still a ~250kg bike and I'd expect much more stiffness from any suspension that held that up than I would from, say, a CRF250.

I cut my teeth an an ancient* 1977 Yamaha Enduro 125 that ran on 2-cycle fuel due to a failed oil pump. :) That had the softest suspension I've ever been on (and probably needed work done on it, actually). That felt like it would eat almost any obstacle you hit. The first time I tried an AT off road, it felt soft enough to work, but nothing like that Enduro. I don't know if perhaps that's what you're experiencing.

Also, is there any chance you'd adjusted the preload (the one with the helmets for 2-up and/or luggage)? That could affect things, even in off-road mode.

*I only use the term "ancient" because this thing had been shuttered up in someone's shed for years before I got it out and got it running. And this would have been in the mid-late 90s. So the bike had been around a while. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mike,

I have the bike now for 3,5 months and did some off road with it and this bike is not too stiff for off road. The S1 to S3 is a mode which you can use for more acceleration not for the suspension setting. when I go for road I used the offroad mode and S1 the suspension is also more soft then on the tour or urban mode. I tell you it is going as the fireman ? better then my old 2016 there was the orginal suspension too weak and when I replaced them for hyper pro it was mich better. But the 2020 don,t need this update for me it really a big improvement the ES. This bike gives me so much confidence that I have a problem to keep the speed limit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts