Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I had a fazer 600 and now I'm thinking to buy the AT with DCT...
I like it and I believe that is is the best value for money motorcycle I can buy with my budget ...almost 16.000 €...
A Great name .. "Honda" , good after sales support, and good selling price after a few years (if I would decide to sell it).
I ve read that is a great bike, especially off road ..
But my intention is to use it in town, (not every day since I have a car), and for traveling, (2 person) mostly in highways and less off road..
I d like the idea to go off road traveling but Its not an easy decision to take a new bike off road with no experience ...

So what would you guys suggest ?
Is AT the right choice ?
Or should I look for something else ... (to get an idea for the prices in Greece ... tracer at 11k , Ducati MTS 950 at 15k ,used BMW R1200 GS at 16k, the new KTM 1290 super adventure s at 18k)

Regards

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very subjective. I've had a few other ADV bikes and the AT is the most "dirt-capable" of the bunch. It really shines when ridden on the dirt. This does not mean its horrible on-road. Far from it. But compare to my other previous ADV bikes, its not a stand-out. The Super Tenere and more-so the Tiger XCx were excellent on-road bikes. The Tiger's motor and handling were definitely stand-outs on the road. I felt as comfortable on my XCx as I do on my Ducati. The WP suspension on the Tiger while near its max for my size, was still within useable range. Personally, if I didn't go offroad as much as I do OR had better skills, I'd have kept the XCx...

While I don't know what your weight is nor your passengers, the suspension on the AT isn't really set-up for that type of riding. You'll use alot of the travel just from "preload".

Regarding DCT, I really like what it has to offer from the offroad perspective that it won't stall. 30+ years of riding standard bikes still has me occasionally reaching for the clutch or a foot shifter. I find "D" mode to be very sluggish. I prefer it in "S" mode. But even in "S" mode since it only reacts to inputs and not a human's senses, I find it to be a little slow on shifting. Meaning, I'd like it to go a split second sooner. This is very easily over-come by using the paddle shifters...

IMO, first thing to consider would be is the AT even correct for you needs/desires...

Hi guys

I like it and I believe that is is the best value for money motorcycle I can buy with my budget ...almost 16.000 €...
A Great name .. "Honda" , good after sales support, and good selling price after a few years (if I would decide to sell it).
But my intention is to use it in town, (not every day since I have a car), and for traveling, (2 person) mostly in highways and less off road..
I d like the idea to go off road traveling but Its not an easy decision to take a new bike off road with no experience ...

Is AT the right choice ?
Or should I look for something else ... (to get an idea for the prices in Greece ... tracer at 11k , Ducati MTS 950 at 15k ,used BMW R1200 GS at 16k, the new KTM 1290 super adventure s at 18k)

Regards

·
Registered
97 Posts
As always the proof will be in going for a decent test ride and see if you like it.

As has been said the AT is very good off-road. I got one mainly for road use, and in my case it was a mistake. The DCT was very good but there are more capable road bikes out there. On the other hand if it is for urban use and some touring the DCT is great. Like a lot of bikes it will do a bit of everything, and for many that's enough. I realised that having fun on interesting roads was my main requirement so an off road bike with a large front wheel was not for me. I hope to have another DCT one day though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys

Is AT the right choice ?

Regards

Γειά σου φίλε μου,

So I have a At dct and had a mt 07 and a Tracer before I got the AT.

Let's talk intention..So I use it in central London traffic every day..And it rocks..truly...Much better than a manual bike..any manual bike for that matter.. Even though the suspension is set soft I have done some one day trips with the girlfriend very very comfortable..As far as the dct goes..You do lose the level of control that you have over the manual..dump the clutch.. but What you do gain is better...The dct is way faster that manual...faster To change the gears and yes faster to accelerate...I dont know what they mean about not being as quick..It's a dct...It's designed to change gears faster.....AND If you don't like the dct you can ride it as manual with the paddleshifts

I also test rode the Gs, 1290sa, multistrada, I ended up going for this..

Anyway don't believe what other people say to you..just go and ride both versions.. and all other bikes..as many times as possible..And don't get stuck in old ideas...follow your hurt!

Πάντα όρθιος

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As always the proof will be in going for a decent test ride and see if you like it.

As has been said the AT is very good off-road. I got one mainly for road use, and in my case it was a mistake. The DCT was very good but there are more capable road bikes out there. On the other hand if it is for urban use and some touring the DCT is great. Like a lot of bikes it will do a bit of everything, and for many that's enough. I realised that having fun on interesting roads was my main requirement so an off road bike with a large front wheel was not for me. I hope to have another DCT one day though.
Thanks Wilco... Unfortunately in Greece we have really interesting landscapes but most of the roads are really bad (except the new highways of course). You can't go as fast, as you would like to travel... :) I love horsepower, I want to know that I have the option to travel fast but I am not also the type of guy that goes really fast always... So I just want a bike for urban use mostly, but also a bike that I could load it with things (and wife) and have a trip to mainland or to the Greek islands and why not in Europe some time ... The option for the off road of course is a plus ... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Γειά σου φίλε μου,

So I have a At dct and had a mt 07 and a Tracer before I got the AT.

Let's talk intention..So I use it in central London traffic every day..And it rocks..truly...Much better than a manual bike..any manual bike for that matter.. Even though the suspension is set soft I have done some one day trips with the girlfriend very very comfortable..As far as the dct goes..You do lose the level of control that you have over the manual..dump the clutch.. but What you do gain is better...The dct is way faster that manual...faster To change the gears and yes faster to accelerate...I dont know what they mean about not being as quick..It's a dct...It's designed to change gears faster.....AND If you don't like the dct you can ride it as manual with the paddleshifts

I also test rode the Gs, 1290sa, multistrada, I ended up going for this..

Anyway don't believe what other people say to you..just go and ride both versions.. and all other bikes..as many times as possible..And don't get stuck in old ideas...follow your hurt!

Πάντα όρθιος

Καλημέρα, Παντού υπάρχει ένας Έλληνας :) thanks for your reply Sava. I hope you are doing well in London !!!! Except the urban use, my intention is to have some road trips fully loaded by myself and with my wife in Greece (normal height and bodies, regarding the weight) and why not in Europe ..(its a dream) .. :) So I have some doubts about AT (by what I read) for this use... since I m not sure if this bike is the best value for money I could choose... By other hand I know that AT is a Swiss Army knife (urban, on road, off road..) ..and it would be great some day to go off road ... Believe it or not I 've asked to have a test drive but they don't have a DCT to give me ...:) Ελπίζω να μην σε ζάλισα !!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Gediak
You have to try it , luckily I live near London and they all had demonstrators to lend out.
GO to the mainland and try DCT ... you might hate it or not.
I bought a dct last week
mainly road use
the standard tyres are fine whatever you read on here.
the dct takes some getting used to at very slow speed but you do get used to it
around the 10 mph (16 kph) mark when filtering you have to be very light on the throttle
as you don't have a clutch to help you control speed , you tend to use the brake (front and rear) more.
I love it , It looks great, every time I see it I want to get on it. Its not fast in D or even S1, but using the up
down shift switches help you out enormously when required.
Make the effort to go find a dealer who can lend you one to test.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Καλημέρα, Παντού υπάρχει ένας Έλληνας :) thanks for your reply Sava. I hope you are doing well in London !!!! Except the urban use, my intention is to have some road trips fully loaded by myself and with my wife in Greece (normal height and bodies, regarding the weight) and why not in Europe ..(its a dream) .. :) So I have some doubts about AT (by what I read) for this use... since I m not sure if this bike is the best value for money I could choose... By other hand I know that AT is a Swiss Army knife (urban, on road, off road..) ..and it would be great some day to go off road ... Believe it or not I 've asked to have a test drive but they don't have a DCT to give me ...:) Ελπίζω να μην σε ζάλισα !!! :)

Καλημέρα φίλε, ναι κλασικά είμαστε παντού.. Για τους ελληνικούς δρόμους δεν νομίζω να βρεις καλύτερη μηχανή...εκτός και αν πας σε ηλεκτρονικη ανάρτηση...Όσο για χρήση σε πόλη- κίνηση το τιμόνι περνάει πάνω από καθρέφτες.. Να σε καλά

1 - 9 of 9 Posts