Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy y'all, I'm having pretty much the same issues as described in a previous thread on this(sorry my first post, I can't link it but it's the first thing if you google Africa Twin engine hiccup). I read through it and it didn't seem like anyone actually came to a solution. Anybody know of a fix?

2019 Africa Twin Manual ~300 miles
When blipping the throttle at low rpm, engine will hiccup and hear a pop in the airbox. Bike seems to run fine other than that.

Thank y'all

original post referred to :Motor Hiccup

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
Howdy y'all, I'm having pretty much the same issues as described in a previous thread on this(sorry my first post, I can't link it but it's the first thing if you google Africa Twin engine hiccup). I read through it and it didn't seem like anyone actually came to a solution. Anybody know of a fix?

When blipping the throttle at low rpm, engine will hiccup and hear a pop in the airbox. Bike seems to run fine other than that.

Thank y'all

Are you still having this issue?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it the following: Turn key off, disconnect battery, turn key on, wait 15 minutes, turn key off, connect battery? If so, yes I have.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Where is this "reset" procedure documented?
Please enlighten those of us who only have published manuals to refer to.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My 17 has had the random hiccup (When blipping the throttle at low rpm, engine will hiccup and hear a pop in the airbox) since new.
Sometimes the engine dies - usually happens at a traffic light (restart & go) but the odd time at very slow speed in trails (drop the bike).
Just had 25,000km service. Valves adjusted, new spark plugs, other stuff checked by competent mechanic at good dealer.
Still does it.
There is no cure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My guess is that a lot of folks have been told by dealer techs that they reset the ECU
(only dealers know the secret)

·
Registered
577 Posts
My 17 has had the random hiccup (When blipping the throttle at low rpm, engine will hiccup and hear a pop in the airbox) since new.
Sometimes the engine dies - usually happens at a traffic light (restart & go) but the odd time at very slow speed in trails (drop the bike).
Just had 25,000km service. Valves adjusted, new spark plugs, other stuff checked by competent mechanic at good dealer.
Still does it.
There is no cure.
I think your bike is safe. My new 2019 DCT does what you describe automatically.
It scared the &ell out of me at first but getting used to it. Hasn't stalled yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Thank y'all

original post referred to :Motor Hiccup
I had the same issue until I changed the exhaust for a full system, it never happened again after that. Lot's of back pressure in that stocker exhaust.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had the same issue until I changed the exhaust for a full system, it never happened again after that. Lot's of back pressure in that stocker exhaust.
Things that will get rid of it are CAT removal, (so if you put a full system in that will do that) stopping the air feed down from the airbox through the Pair Reed Valve into the exhaust headers and adding more fuel with a fuel controller. The air supply into the exhaust port is only to get the CAT upto temp quickly so you can block that at the Pair Reed Valve with an aftermarket plate or in the line down from the Pair Control Solenoid or in the line down to it from the airbox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did the valves actually need adjusting, or were they checked and were in spec? I was thinking of doing my 25k checks while stuck at home, but practically every review I've read no adjustment was required.....so will probably put off until the next interval.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Things that will get rid of it are CAT removal, (so if you put a full system in that will do that) stopping the air feed down from the airbox through the Pair Reed Valve into the exhaust headers and adding more fuel with a fuel controller. The air supply into the exhaust port is only to get the CAT upto temp quickly so you can block that at the Pair Reed Valve with an aftermarket plate or in the line down from the Pair Control Solenoid or in the line down to it from the airbox.
Anyone tried PAIR valve removal/blanking?
Did mine on a 2018 facelift bike and I now have an 89 error :( likely to go away or I going to have to strip again to refit the valve etc (full system and rapid bike Evo fitted at the same time as removing the valve)
Cheers all

·
Registered
371 Posts
The PAIR valve has nothing to do with the throttle control or mixture - it only allows fresh air into the exhaust stream so that unburned fuel can combust and provide cleaner emissions. It does not effect the way the engine runs at all.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Typically off idle backfiring or popping after the engine is warm can be caused by a rich mixture just as the throttle is opened. I would be looking at plugged spark arrestor screens or baffles as well as the CAT. A bad plug or a plug with too much gap can also cause this. Other things to consider are the MAP sensor and IAT sensor. I would check to make sure the IAT probe end is not dirty or oil fouled.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Anyone tried PAIR valve removal/blanking?
Did mine on a 2018 facelift bike and I now have an 89 error :( likely to go away or I going to have to strip again to refit the valve etc (full system and rapid bike Evo fitted at the same time as removing the valve)
Cheers all
So when you say you removed it you mean you pulled out the pair control solenoid and disconnected the connector going to it, or the actual pair reed valve? Or did you just blank off some of the tubing or block the tubing down from the airbox. You can buy a blanking plate for the pair reed valve. I just put a cap in the airbox tube and another on the pair control solenoid inlet. You have to have both directions blocked off, you dont want air being sucked back into the airbox behind the air filter or going down to the pair reed valve.
Mine works fine with no error codes. If you pulled the plug on the pair control solenoid that might be an issue!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Blanked at the rocker cover with a blanking plate, plugged the airbox and removed the valve 👍
Looking like I need a pair valve eliminator for the wiring - have to dig back under the airbox again it seems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts