Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just coming up on my first oil change (600 miles). I decided to go with Honda GN-4 none synthetic. This is the oil the hand book recommends. The hand book also recommends changing the oil every 8000 miles. According to my local Honda shop, they say that I should change the oil every 4000 miles.:confused:
So what say you guys?. The bike is used mainly for going to work (60 miles per day) and ridden very conservatively.

·
Registered
158 Posts
UK specs, the oil is changed at the service interval, ie 8kmiles. Because I am fussy, I've just done a change at 4kmiles, and I'm laying the bike up for the winter too.

M

·
Registered
188 Posts
According to my local Honda shop, they say that I should change the oil every 4000 miles.:confused:
So what say you guys?. The bike is used mainly for going to work (60 miles per day) and ridden very conservatively.
Ordinarily it's a good idea with shared sump bikes, as gearboxes tend to be hard on oil. Oil capacity is high though, which leads to longer life. I don't have a clue how hard DCT is on oil compared to a regular gear box, but I will be looking into it, since mine is DCT.

A good way to know is send an oil sample in for used oil analysis (UOA) around 4k miles or a bit earlier. I would do it or want to have seen UOAs for other similar Africa Twins before I'd leave the oil in for 8k miles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I tend to go with 4/5000 miles also. I would especially do so if I was commuting on the bike for 60 miles (two heat cycles) per day. However it is really a matter of personal choice whether one sticks to the schedule .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Motorcycle oil information

Just coming up on my first oil change (600 miles). I decided to go with Honda GN-4 none synthetic. This is the oil the hand book recommends. The hand book also recommends changing the oil every 8000 miles. According to my local Honda shop, they say that I should change the oil every 4000 miles.:confused:
I am attaching a link to good info on motorcycle oil. It is from Motorcyclist Magazine.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/lowdown-on-motorcycle-engine-oil

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/lowdown-on-motorcycle-engine-oil-part-2

I think it will answer most of the questions we all have asked.

Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes......b.s.

If you do what the book(manual) says and keep the receipts Honda shouldn't give you any warranty problems (Using Honda oil and oil filters). If you really want to send your dealer into a tail spin, show them in the manual that the oil filter is every 16,000 miles......oil is every 8,000.

Honestly, evaluate how you ride the bike and do the oil when you want but I wouldn't go over 8,000 miles between changes. As for the oil filter.....I know the book says 16k but I would probably change it every 8k (it's cheap enough).

I used to own a BMW and everything just cost more. It's refreshing to find out how much less I need to maintain and how much less everything from oil to filters are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Understand (at least in the US) that the EPA has a lot to say in the oil used and the recommended interval. All of which it help reduce the environmental impact that the manufacturer has on the environment. The lower weight oils and longer intervals help keep the manufacturers look good on paper.

Just remember - oil is not getting better, it is getting worse. The EPA keeps stripping the good stuff (ZPPF, Moly, etc...) out of the oils. So to me, this tells me i need to change it MORE often. Especially considering that its almost impossible to go 100% non-oxy fuel (the ethanol is really bad oil)

I used to run Rotella T4 in my BMW & Concours (Diesel oil that was OK for wet clutches) and it worked great, but it still had the level of Zinc that older motor oils had, but that is now gone. For me - I will just be running the Honda GN4 10w-30 every 4000-5000 miles. Oil is still cheaper than Clutches & Bearings

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try for 6000 + filter every time.
Did my 600 mile one (twice I might add) Like a "dick" I did not realize there were two drain plugs and over filled It by about half a gallon. ($35 down the bog). Oh well you learn by your mistakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts