Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unsure if this is the correct forum: my 2017 recently had tires swapped from Big Block back to the stocks (doing more road riding for the time being in my life), but since then I have noticed a slight noise from the chain.
After inspecting the noise and attempting to realign the wheel and tension correctly, the noise has increased drastically. It only occurs when I give the engine throttle and does not occur when rolling with no input, but I am unsure where to begin.
I adjusted the tension to 40mm per the manual on its side stand, but when driving it appears to be extremely loose? Could be the way I see it from the saddle, but no amount of lubricant has fixed the noise, and I’m sure that it is not a “normal amount of rattling”, it sounds terrible.
Really hoping it’s not something too serious but appreciate any advice as always!
Thanks everyone,
Sam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unsure if this is the correct forum: my 2017 recently had tires swapped from Big Block back to the stocks (doing more road riding for the time being in my life), but since then I have noticed a slight noise from the chain.
After inspecting the noise and attempting to realign the wheel and tension correctly, the noise has increased drastically. It only occurs when I give the engine throttle and does not occur when rolling with no input, but I am unsure where to begin.
I adjusted the tension to 40mm per the manual on its side stand, but when driving it appears to be extremely loose? Could be the way I see it from the saddle, but no amount of lubricant has fixed the noise, and I’m sure that it is not a “normal amount of rattling”, it sounds terrible.
Really hoping it’s not something too serious but appreciate any advice as always!
Thanks everyone,
Sam
I'm noticing the same thing.

What does your noise sound like? Mines a heavy clicking on acceleration, but not noticed when coasting. I'm going to check alignment and tension and see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

What does your noise sound like? Mines a heavy clicking on acceleration, but not noticed when coasting. I'm going to check alignment and tension and see what happens.

Mine went away for most part when I started doing regular chain maintenance every few hundred miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Spot on description of the noise. It’s only upon acceleration, never does it coasting. I have been riding around trying to adjust myself to the noise and tend to not notice it so much when my head is forward looking ahead, but if I glance down it’s unbearable… could be an out of sight out of mind thing with that.

I have been using the Motion Pro Slack Setter and Motion Pro Alignment Tool to no avail. The day after swapping tires out I simply used a ruler and set it on the center stand, and actually had less noise than now, but then started down the rabbit hole of tools, proper procedure per the manual, etc. When I initially set I just pushed up as far as the chain would go with normal effort, but then started reading about “stealing slack” from the top part of the chain, and then tried to do it the proper way with proper tools and feel like it’s worse now…

Probably would just say “screw it” and run the tighter chain but I’m a bit OCD when it comes to this thing, and I’ve heard that loose is always better than too tight. I am going to adjust back tighter tonight on side stand and see where I get with it, perhaps ignoring the top slack steal methodology, I’m not sure how much that affects it based on the design of the chain guide. I’ll keep posted.

best of luck,
Sam

2017 AT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Spot on description of the noise. It’s only upon acceleration, never does it coasting. I have been riding around trying to adjust myself to the noise and tend to not notice it so much when my head is forward looking ahead, but if I glance down it’s unbearable… could be an out of sight out of mind thing with that.

I have been using the Motion Pro Slack Setter and Motion Pro Alignment Tool to no avail. The day after swapping tires out I simply used a ruler and set it on the center stand, and actually had less noise than now, but then started down the rabbit hole of tools, proper procedure per the manual, etc. When I initially set I just pushed up as far as the chain would go with normal effort, but then started reading about “stealing slack” from the top part of the chain, and then tried to do it the proper way with proper tools and feel like it’s worse now…

Probably would just say “screw it” and run the tighter chain but I’m a bit OCD when it comes to this thing, and I’ve heard that loose is always better than too tight. I am going to adjust back tighter tonight on side stand and see where I get with it, perhaps ignoring the top slack steal methodology, I’m not sure how much that affects it based on the design of the chain guide. I’ll keep posted.

best of luck,
Sam

2017 AT
so here’s what I’ve found out: tightened the chain to around 30MM outside of the spec and ran it a short distance up the driveway, long enough to get through the gears: rattling noise is still there, if not worse…

so the slack I believe to be fine as loose as it may look and feel, I do not think that’s what causing the noise. Unsure if perhaps I displaced grease from chain rollers (I used kerosene to clean the chain when this started), so maybe that is it? Or the chain guide (which looks to have plenty of life just trying to figure something out).

what I have learned from all of this I think I’m going to return my motion pro tools, for saving a few seconds on measuring slack and a finicky design for the adjustment tool, I think I’ll stick to the string method for free.

curious to hear others’ thoughts.

thanks again,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Overall I do find the Motor Pro chain maintenance tools generally impossible to use on the Africa Twin. Otherwise, a good idea.

I use the old school stainless steel ruler for chain sag and eyeball the chain alignment. This works for me.

(I can't stand chain maintenance.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

best of luck,
Sam

2017 AT
The best Honda mechanic in my area who did a tour in Europe on an AT pointed out to me that ADV bikes generally need more chain slack than other categories of bikes, which techs in some shops will often overlook.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Overall I do find the Motor Pro chain maintenance tools generally impossible to use on the Africa Twin. Otherwise, a good idea.

I use the old school stainless steel ruler for chain sag and eyeball the chain alignment. This works for me.

(I can't stand chain maintenance.)

agreed… it’s a major headache. Do you all find that when checking slack on this bike that pushing until there is no give (within reason) is better or pushing until the top chain moves? I’ve read many places about “stealing” slack from the top half but didn’t know if it applied here.

thanks again,
Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I got my brand new 2021 ATAS DCT I've often heard a strange grinding / buzzing noise - through a full face helmet it's been really hard to isolate and GoPro couldn't pick it up. Usually when idle and going downhill. I figured maybe it was some kind of intake noise or engine braking I wasn't used to with an 1100 cc engine.

Well today I did something dumber than usual, I rode with no helmet 2 blocks from home to parking garage and WOW did I hear the sound this time, and it was horrible and it was coming from the drivetrain.

WARNING: this video is annoying. The audio is terrible. But I finally got a recording of the grinding / buzzing, and I'm convinced it's coming from the drivetrain or maybe the parking brake? You'll hear it more as I roll off the throttle. Chain travel and tension indicator seems fine (it's parked right on edge of green area).

My firs chain set 40Kkm did not make this sound. Replaced by a new chain set and did not make this sound.. a then .... my dct was killed by Friend, he try go fast in manual mode with gear5, from slow speed, the engine make sound like something hoes to be broken. Since this issue the Chain has the some noise like yours !!!!! I have changed next new chain set 2x already, but notthing happend. Not fix the sound. I thing the Problem is fefinettely in the GearBox, maybe the Synchron clutch Ring, on the WheelShaft for Sprocket wheel. The sound goes from front Sprocket Wheel, only when go faster, and stop when let free the rpm drop-depent on load apllied on the Sprocket Shaft. And strange sound sometime from DCT friction clutch. If you have fixed the problem, let me know, or make notes in your youtube video. maybe you can try go from hill, no chain assembled (front wheel take speed) and if the sound uppears,the GearBox is tired-out.
Thank you. for your reply for Fix the Problem -V- [email protected]

21 - 30 of 30 Posts