Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,
Yahoooooo, it's Christmas in June! I received today, both the McCruise Cruise control and, a brand new Garmin Zumo XT. Actually, it's our 35th wedding anniversary and, well, I gave myself the McCruise and, she ordered up the Garmin and, they both arrived in one delivery. Also, in that delivery was the small, Voltmeter and USB charging post that fits into the 12V socket. Oh, almost forgot, one more item came with all of that stuff. I ordered a new random orbital sander/buffer to accommodate the first one I had. I use this type machine to polish my pontoons on our boat. It's been determined that one tool for application of the aluminum polish, and one tool for the buffing off of all the black polish is gonna be a lot more efficient than changing polishing bonnets and application bonnets on one tool. But, that's another story.

Anyway, Yahoooooo, due to lots of consultation from you members and reading some reviews, I determined the Garmin Zumo XT, while fairly costly, would be as good of a GPS unit as this old man will ever need. And, the Wife was glorious enough and LOVING enough, to order it up for an anniversary present for me, how about that boys!!

I could have gone with one of the many throttle locks that are used for holding the throttle to keep some speed setting but, I'm so used to an accurate cruise control on all my Goldwings, cars, trucks, MOTORHOME and all that, that, I figured what the heck, it's the kids inheritance so, SPEND IT!

Man, I gotta tell ya, for those that have installed the McCruise, the installation instructions are like an ENCYCLOPEDIA! I have never had instructions that immense on anything I've ever installed, even on some of my Goldwings. Wow! So, needless to say, I've got my work cut out for me. Not only do I need to install that McCruise but, the Garmin came with a set of leads that, must be tied into an ignition HOT circuit some place. Speaking of that, I thought I read somewhere on this forum that, there is some form of an ignition HOT empty circuit or, at least some type of accessory plug buried under the fairing someplace, anyone care to comment on that? I can just use the 12VDC accessory socket right by the left fork top too. I might use that, not sure yet.

But, that Garmin's got some technical stuff that I need to learn too. Man, this old brain might go up in smoke with all this new toy stuff.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 DCT
336 Posts
Looks like fun! Stuff like that keeps the mind sharp...

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Most importantly Scott - Happy Anniversary! A big three-five.

Congrats on the projects too. Should be for some excellent personal time with da beast.

Finally, for some folks anyway, one could only wish for snow in June. (don't hate me!) :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
Most importantly Scott - Happy Anniversary! A big three-five.
View attachment 55413
Congrats on the projects too. Should be for some excellent personal time with da beast.

Finally, for some folks anyway, one could only wish for snow in June. (don't hate me!) :D
Keep it at only wish for snow in June. If we do get it you are more than welcome to my share. Good thing we can't be evicted from our own country. Don't drink beer, don't follow hockey, don't like snow, the only ice I want to see is in my drink. Even that is maybe on a hot day in July and August. 🙂

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well gang,
The first thing I did was go out and mount the GPS just to see how I'd like it where I planned on it being. Well, dang, guess what, I want the GPS in the center of the bars, in between the two handle bar clamps. But, the u-bolt that is part of the mount, IS TOO SHORT for that thicker diameter of the bars. The mount fits just fine up near the left grip and or, the right grip 'cause the bars are much smaller in diameter. So, at present, it's mounted near the left grip. I'm not sure I like it there but, I'm not sure I dislike it there either. Hmmmm. Decisions already!
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Well gang,
The first thing I did was go out and mount the GPS just to see how I'd like it where I planned on it being. Well, dang, guess what, I want the GPS in the center of the bars, in between the two handle bar clamps. But, the u-bolt that is part of the mount, IS TOO SHORT for that thicker diameter of the bars. The mount fits just fine up near the left grip and or, the right grip 'cause the bars are much smaller in diameter. So, at present, it's mounted near the left grip. I'm not sure I like it there but, I'm not sure I dislike it there either. Hmmmm. Decisions already!
Scott
This be the World of the Africa Twin that Forum members so much enjoy!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well gang,
Scott
I found the bracket for my GPS holder didn't fit the handlebar and used the left mirror stalk. It puts the GPS near the mirror. That is the same location I used on the V-Strom so I am used to that view so I am used to it.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
202 Posts
Congrats on your 35th anniversary and the new stuff. :)

Another option for mounting that Zumo you may like.

Its mounted to a camel brace using a mount from Motopumps.
Motopumps offers a discount via this thread on ADVrider.

Here is what it looks like from the side.

Really happy with this setup, its in the perfect spot to keep my eyes on the road and still see the GPS.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on your 35th anniversary and the new stuff. :)

Another option for mounting that Zumo you may like.

Its mounted to a camel brace using a mount from Motopumps.
Motopumps offers a discount via this thread on ADVrider.

Here is what it looks like from the side.

Really happy with this setup, its in the perfect spot to keep my eyes on the road and still see the GPS.
I most certainly appreciate the info on that mount. At present, I'm still goofing around with various ideas and utilizing the handle bar mount that came with the unit. By the way, may I ask, I'd like to hardwire the GPS unit and not use the 12V power socket. I'm lead to believe that there is some sort of 12V Y connector some place behind the headlights. I have no clue if that's in fact there or not but, if so, I'd like to use that connector. Now, the big question. How in the heck to get to it? How do I get behind the headlights? I've just finished installing my McCruise Cruise control and had to disassemble 1/2 the bike for it. Now, it's still partially apart and, I'd like to run the wires from the GPS to that Y connector. Can someone direct me to the process for accessing that connector?
Scott

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
202 Posts
I most certainly appreciate the info on that mount. At present, I'm still goofing around with various ideas and utilizing the handle bar mount that came with the unit. By the way, may I ask, I'd like to hardwire the GPS unit and not use the 12V power socket. I'm lead to believe that there is some sort of 12V Y connector some place behind the headlights. I have no clue if that's in fact there or not but, if so, I'd like to use that connector. Now, the big question. How in the heck to get to it? How do I get behind the headlights? I've just finished installing my McCruise Cruise control and had to disassemble 1/2 the bike for it. Now, it's still partially apart and, I'd like to run the wires from the GPS to that Y connector. Can someone direct me to the process for accessing that connector?
Scott
I think you have to buy a harness and some connectors to use that if i remember correctly. When i had mine apart i could not find any connector to use back there without buying that harness. Here are links to the sub harness and the connectors. I am pretty sure these still apply to the 18-19 models as well but hopefully someone here an correct me if i am wrong. I had no appetite for buying like $ 90 in wiring and parts to rig up my GPS and phone so I just tapped into the wiring of the Aux power plug. The way i see it is these draw so litter current its no biggie and tapping in there if i ever wanted to return it to stock i just need to buy a new aux plug for like 25 bucks so im way ahead of the game. Here is a link to a basic writeup of what i did My GPS install..

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you have to buy a harness and some connectors to use that if i remember correctly. When i had mine apart i could not find any connector to use back there without buying that harness. Here are links to the sub harness and the connectors. I am pretty sure these still apply to the 18-19 models as well but hopefully someone here an correct me if i am wrong. I had no appetite for buying like $ 90 in wiring and parts to rig up my GPS and phone so I just tapped into the wiring of the Aux power plug. The way i see it is these draw so litter current its no biggie and tapping in there if i ever wanted to return it to stock i just need to buy a new aux plug for like 25 bucks so im way ahead of the game. Here is a link to a basic writeup of what i did My GPS install..
Yeah
I can see your method of thinking easily. I've wye'd off of many, many hot wires for various projects in the past and, no three alarm fires yet. If it's done with care and common sense, and, the circuits you plan on adding don't overload the original power demand, you're good to go. Now, I just need to figure out how to get to that power port wire.
Scott

·
Registered
167 Posts
Scott,
Under the left side fairing skin, in front of the air cleaner housing. Look for a four pin plug ("front option"), it has blue, blue/black, red/yellow and green. The red/yellow is the switched hot. The green is ground.
The accessory socket plug is a two wire plug with red/yellow and green wires. The red/yellow for both plugs is the same source, fuse #8.....let me go out to the bike and double check that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yup, fuse #8, says "OP" on the cover. Under seat, front fuse box.
When I installed my lights and USB charger/volt meter, I just snipped the two wire accessory plug off and soldered in my new wiring. No expensive plugs to buy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well gang,
Scott

Just FYI, RAM has a ball mount that will accommodate that u bolt on fat bars. It's thinner than the mount that came in your kit, and the ball is inline with the u bolt, not perpendicular to it.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey you guys,
As usual, you guys are GREAT!!!!!!!! I certainly thank you for the info on that hot/ground for the Accessory plug. I will dive into that tomorrow. It's kind of a shame, well sorta, I just had that entire section apart to install my newly acquired McCruise Cruise Control. No big deal to whip apart again. I got it down where all the push-pin fasteners and screws are. I could probably be at those wires in about 15 minutes.

Now, to CRacer 712,
What did I get my wife, well, she got a brand new I-pad. There wasn't anything wrong with her other one but, she wanted a new one so, guess what.....
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Timing is everything, they say Scott.

RE wife: Maybe you can adopt the old pad? Think of all the shop manuals you can load on it?

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hah! The "old" I-pad is already destined as a sort-a hand-me-down to the daughter. The wife is contemplating a price since these things aren't cheap. But of course, since it's the daughter, I'm sure she's gonna get a deal!!!! ;)
Scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts