Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all, as i do a fair bit of riding in the middle of nowhere and i have come across a problem once before in my garage luckily in that i forgot to put the bike on the charger and it ran the battery flat over the course of a few weeks.

Anyhow i thought i wonder if i could fit a mod onto the AT so that i carry a set of jump leads under the seat or in a rollbag with me when going away anywhere so that if i come across a flat battery again i can flag a car or such down and they can help me out. I thought about wiring a set of leads direct from the battery to an Anderson plug under the seat or even on the side of the bike fairing, somewhere easily accessible so i can just plug the other end of jump lead into this plug so i have crocodile clips on it to connect to another vehicle if needed.
Now i know i need a lead to the positive on the battery but as space down there is tight im assuming i can just connect a negative to any bear bolt on the chassis since the battery is connected direct to chassis earth anyway. Then route cables and fit anderson plug on end.
Has anyone done similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
If your AT has a lithium battery be very careful. Replacement is expensive. Honda recommends not jump starting to protect both electrics and the lithium battery. You have the right idea. If your bike doesn't have a lithium battery you should be fine. Access to the lithium battery terminals on the 2019 ATAS is better than the early ATs. My ATAS came with an SAE fused connector harness installed to the battery. That doesn't mean it can't be done but check the limitations for your bike and battery combination and work accordingly. Also if you have a lithium battery you will want to purchase a battery charger with lithium charge capability whether lithium battery only or standard batteries and a lithium battery built in option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Bill, I have a 2017 dct non lithium battery, mines a motobatt gel yellow battery so it charges off a normal charger. It just dawned on me the other week that if i flattened the battery overnight camping or such i would be stuffed as i couldnt jump start the old girl. I will see if i can find a kit premade up , if not i will set about making one in the next week .

·
Registered
577 Posts
No need to "reinvent the wheel".
Also, Anderson plugs are overkill.
I've used this with a portable jump pack:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
so .... is it ok to use a jump start portable powerpack with the lithium batteries fitted to 2018 onwards bikes? I don't understand why that would be different from getting a jump from a passing motorist.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
so .... is it ok to use a jump start portable powerpack with the lithium batteries fitted to 2018 onwards bikes? I don't understand why that would be different from getting a jump from a passing motorist.
Mike
A portable powerpack will likely be current-limited. This will slow the charge, but limit the draw by the charging battery and reduce the risk of damage.

A car/truck battery will be a large source of un-regulated current. If the charging battery draws too much, it may be internally damaged by heat, or in-rush overload to its onboard electronics. Of course, the bike ignition should be turned completely OFF when doing jumping. To be extra anal, you could disconnect the battery from the bike while jumping.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A portable powerpack will likely be current-limited. This will slow the charge, but limit the draw by the charging battery and reduce the risk of damage.

A car/truck battery will be a large source of un-regulated current. If the charging battery draws too much, it may be internally damaged by heat, or in-rush overload to its onboard electronics. Of course, the bike ignition should be turned completely OFF when doing jumping. To be extra anal, you could disconnect the battery from the bike while jumping.
Are you taking 'jumping' to mean putting some juice into a flat battery via an outside source. Because to me 'jumping' means getting the engine going via an outside source, then disconnecting that source so that the bike's charging system takes over.
Mike

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are you taking 'jumping' to mean putting some juice into a flat battery via an outside source. Because to me 'jumping' means getting the engine going via an outside source, then disconnecting that source so that the bike's charging system takes over.
Mike
Exactly why you should not "jump start" a lithium battery, AFAIK most manufacturers guidance is not to.
OTOH there have been some reports that a few have said it's OK to jump ELIIY HY85 batteries (dualsport owners who race).
The 2018+ AT have HY110 and should be OK also, but no one has confirmed that they did and survived-
in a desolate far-from-any-soul kinda place, I would not hesitate to jump a lithium with whatever was available. :)
But in my neck of the woods, I am calling the tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Mike
Yes, and then disconnect.

·
Administrator
3,332 Posts
Mike
When I purchased my PC-8 from Eastern Beaver I opted for the kit with the Powerlink Connector and the Powerlink Jump Start Buddy Leads, which you can hook up bike to bike for the ability to connect it between my bike and my wife's bike. I also ordered the Powerlink Female to Clips connector to be able to hook it to a power bank or another battery if my wife isn't with me.

I am not sure how well it works with the OEM Lithium Ion, but Earth X claims you can with their Lithium Batteries. Hoping it will work in a pinch.

From EarthX Lithium Batteries:
"It is perfectly fine to jump start the EarthX battery from another motorcycle sized battery or use a jump pack."

·
Registered
577 Posts
When I purchased my PC-8 from Eastern Beaver I opted for the kit with the Powerlink Connector and the Powerlink Jump Start Buddy Leads, which you can hook up bike to bike for the ability to connect it between my bike and my wife's bike. I also ordered the Powerlink Female to Clips connector to be able to hook it to a power bank or another battery if my wife isn't with me.

I am not sure how well it works with the OEM Lithium Ion, but Earth X claims you can with their Lithium Batteries. Hoping it will work in a pinch.

From EarthX Lithium Batteries:
"It is perfectly fine to jump start the EarthX battery from another motorcycle sized battery or use a jump pack."
EarthX makes good product, but
It doesn't help owners of 2018+ bikes because as of now, there are no substitute lithium or AGM batteries that fit in the box other than the one I found.
The only replacement (lithium) for the AT, is this Shorai model. I am running my 2019 AT/DCT with it.

KIMG0326.JPG

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Administrator
3,332 Posts
EarthX makes good product, but
It doesn't help owners of 2018+ bikes because as of now, there are no substitute lithium or AGM batteries that fit in the box other than the one I found.
The only replacement (lithium) for the AT, is this Shorai model. I am running my 2019 AT/DCT with it.

View attachment 54105

Yup. I mention the EarthX, not as a replacement battery, but only because they state you can jump their batteries from another motorcycle battery or power pack. I am hoping that is likewise the case with the OEM Lithium battery on my 2019 if I ever need to do it. Which is why I went that jumper buddy route.

Edit: I should add the owner's manual for my 2019 ATAS does specifically state you can not jump-start the battery as it may damage it. So I purchased the cable only for emergency purposes.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Yup. I mention the EarthX, not as a replacement battery, but only because they state you can jump their batteries from another motorcycle battery or power pack. I am hoping that is likewise the case with the OEM Lithium battery on my 2019 if I ever need to do it. Which is why I went that jumper buddy route.

Edit: I should add the owner's manual for my 2019 ATAS does specifically state you can not jump-start the battery as it may damage it. So I purchased the cable only for emergency purposes.
If the lithium battery is already compromised (i.e. flat/very weak), then possibly damaging it shouldn't be an issue unless there is concern of it catching fire. Then that would be a drag.

·
Administrator
3,332 Posts
If the lithium battery is already compromised (i.e. flat/very weak), then possibly damaging it shouldn't be an issue unless there is concern of it catching fire. Then that would be a drag.
Yeah, fire/explosion would be the biggest worry at that point. Or damage to the electrical system. Honda's wording may just be a CYA notice, they state....

"Do not jump-start, as this can damage your motorcycle's electrical system and battery. Bump starting is not recommended."

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
One day: Somebody is going to say at the Forum that they found a way to bump start a DCT AT.

( ... but the bike was never the same after that.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2017 DCT with Happy Trails crash bars installed. A downside is that the crash bars use an anchor bolt near the battery and must be removed for battery access. My solution was to install a jump-start kit and rout the connector cables up under the seat where I also store alligator clips and an extension cable. Here is the link: https://eklipes.com/ProductCategories/JumperCables/EK1-115

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thats it Ive got a new DCT AT with a lithium battery and this all sounds a nightmare so...
Im not taking the bike out anymore....solved it lol

Its a crazy scenario being honest, I do hope Im never a victim of the flat lithium in the middle of ride out.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
It can happen with an AGM lead battery too. The real issue is the inability to bump start the engine.

Paying attention on how to jump start the primary electrical system is important.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It can happen with an AGM lead battery too. The real issue is the inability to bump start the engine.

Paying attention on how to jump start the primary electrical system is important.
.... and I'm still none the wiser from yours and DCTfan's answers above. Are we saying it's OK to connect a portable jump start powerpack directly to the two battery terminals while that battery is in place on the bike and connected to the bike's electrical system - and of course the ignition would have to be on for the this to make sense. (2018 onwards lithium battery models I'm talking about)
Thanks - sorry if I'm being thick
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
.... and I'm still none the wiser from yours and DCTfan's answers above. Are we saying it's OK to connect a portable jump start powerpack directly to the two battery terminals while that battery is in place on the bike and connected to the bike's electrical system - and of course the ignition would have to be on for the this to make sense. (2018 onwards lithium battery models I'm talking about)
Thanks - sorry if I'm being thick
Mike
If I were stranded with a weak lithium battery, the steps I would consider for myself would be along the lines of:
  • Turn OFF the IGNITION of your wonderful AT DCT machine. Important: It MUST BE wonderful.
  • Disconnect the (+) terminal, or both (+) and (-) terminals of the AT battery.
  • Connect the healthy guest battery using your preferred cabling method. Ensure polarities align. If the guest is a car battery, the car need not be running. Probably better if the car was off. The car battery packs way more capacity than that of the AT battery, so the power from the car generation system is not needed, and likely not recommended.
  • Turn on your AT ignition.
  • Start the engine.
  • Disconnect the guest battery.
  • Did the AT stall upon disconnect?
  • If so, you may need to try again, but with the weak battery connected to the AT. The reason why we disconnected it was to ensure it (the lithium battery) didn't catch fire or something undesirable.
  • If not, reconnect your bogus lithium battery and see if the AT electrical system can sustain it without stalling the engine.
  • If the lithium battery is so far gone, it may be loading the electrical system so much that you will need to install another battery in its place, even an AGM - although it will likely be a fitment problem until you replace it with a new lithium battery.
I have not jumped a lithium battery yet, but these are steps I would consider and have no idea if it would be enough.

Alternatively: Call AAA/CAA (or your country equivalent). If you are 50 miles into the rain forest, well, plan and take a back-up battery?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts