Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been to Romania from the Uk over two weeks, putting in big days fully loaded and unloaded trail riding over a few days and the following things have broken or been noticed...

1. The SET button on the computer got stuck and wouldn't come back out -warranty
2. Rear spokes are screwed with corrosion
3. The GIVI panniers are shite ( I use TT Vega on the GS for everything they are 9 years old and have only been scratched despite heavy duty off roading for years). I rolled the bike over in a petrol station in Hungary and the offside pannier is Buggered, the corner has totally collapsed and the riveted leading edge has folded in on itself and the pannier wouldn't go back on. ****.
4. Puncture to rear tyre (just an ally rivet) tube out and fixed in 30 mins, nice rear wheel removal without any need to loosen the adjusters (sweet)
5. 52 mpg over 2 weeks and 3500 miles
6. Bike hates headwinds at 80 mph plus - the fuel consumption drops to 40mpg.
7. Bike stable up to 100mph (not gone over)
8. Front suspension **** - cant stiffen it up enough (oil change and air increase ahoy)
9. love the DCT box on the motorway and even more off road (and I race enduro!)
10. the bars are 15mm too low for me.
11. the crash guards on the bars are ok, they work :)
12. Not enough tie down flexibility on the back
13. the standard screen is bloody good
14. the bike is very hot to ride - we were at mainly 36degrees and my knees / thighs were toast after ten mins avery day, no matter the speed or on road/off road
15. it back fired once (loud)
16. **** display brightness in bright light conditions
17. **** indicator controls
18. brilliant seat as standard
19. Karoo 3 tyres let me touch my feet down on tarmac bends on the transfagarasan highway.
20. KAroo 3 tyres have **** side traction to the rear off road
21. The Traction control is brutal and forces too much weight movement when it comes in - subtle it is not
22. the bike is a bitch to clean properly :)
23. brake power is perfect
24. Its 3rd acc connection point is very handy ( the one beside the fog plug) :)

Lovely bike, pleased I got one - it eats up off road and is easy to get the pegs down on tarmac.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jeez you're going to be busy answering questions soon, hopefully without people trying to be awkward this time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah expect I will be Doug :)
good to get info out there - see what people say eh?

I'll try to get a vid out of that bloody plug location now I'm back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I shall watch with interest.

I swapped 2014 GS 1200LC for AT and after 3000 miles I'm very happy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great real world assessment Hub Architecture, much better than a moto journalist spitting back five pages of Honda talking points after a 50 mile ride.

I'm assuming **** is a representation for a crude or banned word (or words) on the forum, but mostly I can't tell if it's a positive or negative word. Could you give us a clue... say first letter/last letter (eg P**S, F**K) so your intention is clear? Or pick a boring but not banned word.

Second, for readers not using Imperial gallons: 52 mpg Imperial equals 43 mpg with US gallons and 5.4 liters/100 km. D**m good fuel economy over that distance and riding environments.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have just done an 1,800 mile trip on my DCT around France from Calais to Colmar and back via Vurdun.

We did everything from motorway and blasting around some great mountain roads, the DCT is awesome especially in the mountains where it just works.

I was with 2 friends on a R1200GS and a ZX12R and whilst they are both faster accelerating and have a faster top speed, neither could keep up with the AT in the mountains.

I agree with most of the comments from the OP,
the screen & seat are great,
the bike is stable to 120mph but scary over this with luggage
My spokes & set button are ok.
Fuel consumption was better than both when comparing fill volumes.
I couldn't get it to break traction on the rear when cornering hard - no matter how hard I tried
The Conti trail attacks suit this bike perfectly (the OE Dunlops were awful)
I didn't get my pegs down but I did get to the edges of the tyres (yes the front also)
My heated grips didn't work (flashing E2 as an error))

I wasn't sure if this bike would work on this type of trip but it does, could it be better, yes I think it could - although not much.

What about 17'' rims with sticky rubber, an arrow titanium exhaust and a remap at Hilltop would turn this into the perfect bike for the mountains. Maybe next year?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great write up Hub, Thanks :grin2:

I clean mine with S Doc 100, comes up like new, what do you use ?

Daffy, I'm having the same tyres fitted tomorrow, what tyre pressures are you using please, thanks, Graham

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great real world assessment Hub Architecture, much better than a moto journalist spitting back five pages of Honda talking points after a 50 mile ride.

I'm assuming **** is a representation for a crude or banned word (or words) on the forum, but mostly I can't tell if it's a positive or negative word. Could you give us a clue... say first letter/last letter (eg P**S, F**K) so your intention is clear? Or pick a boring but not banned word.

Second, for readers not using Imperial gallons: 52 mpg Imperial equals 43 mpg with US gallons and 5.4 liters/100 km. D**m good fuel economy over that distance and riding environments.
The stars are blocked out for being a baad word yes. Lets just use the words excrement and terrible

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great write up Hub, Thanks :grin2:

I clean mine with S Doc 100, comes up like new, what do you use ?

Daffy, I'm having the same tyres fitted tomorrow, what tyre pressures are you using please, thanks, Graham
I am using the std pressures as per the sticker on the chain guard 29 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear if I recall.

We travelled down loaded with panniers, top box and camping gear and then removed it all for a couple of days in the mountains, I am super impressed with the tyres

·
Registered
4 Posts
I swapped 2014 GS 1200LC for AT and after 3000 miles I'm very happy.
Hello,
I'm confused between this two beauties... Impossible to decide for months. I have a 800GS for 5 years, using it in Paris every week and mainly traveling with my wife around Europe and further a LOT.
I'm just scared of the big 1200GS and of "no so confortable" AT, yes I tried both, but I'm still stuck in this choice.

What do you think of your AT compared to 1200GS ?

Help :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
For long distance touring with pillion and luggage I would choose the 1200GS, for everything else I prefer the Africa Twin. For the difference in price you could make the AT perfect for whatever your main use is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my AT/DCT since May and have logged several thousand miles both on and offroad. I agree with many of the observations previously posted however I feel several aspects of the bike need refinement:
1. the stock suspension is good but soft for anyone over 90kg/#200...Hyperpro suspension kit is a highly recommended improvement especially for offroad application.
2. Stock pegs are garbage, I switched to the Pivotpegz and highly recommend larger pegs with more control/grip surface.
3. Batzen screen adjuster is a 10 especially for getting the GPS up to eye-level and tailoring the highway ride experience.
4. Eastern Beaver PAC-8 is perfect and super easy for all the desired applications requiring power.
5. Love the Mitas Dakar E-9 front but the Mitas Dakar E-10 did not last more than 2500 miles (back to K60 Scout rear). E-10 is good traction offroad and predictable on road while they lasted
6. Finally, for anyone sitting on the fence or whether to go manual or DCT, I can tell you the DCT is a 10! I have no complaints either on or offroad and find using the S3/TC1/G setting always has the bike in the right gear offroad and the S3/TC3 setting is perfect on the tarmac.
Hope these observations help answer some of the concerns other AT riders may have or question.
PS...Holan crash, engine guards and pannier racks were perfect once they arrived and were fitted...but that's another story!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience almost entirely echoes the original post including my SET SWITCH being replaced under warranty. I also love the Karoo 3s, they're better than expected off-road and encourage you to ride smoothly on road.
Mike

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hello,
I'm confused between this two beauties... [1200GS vs AT] Impossible to decide for months. I have a 800GS for 5 years, using it in Paris every week and mainly traveling with my wife around Europe and further a LOT. I'm just scared of the big 1200GS and of "no so confortable" AT, yes I tried both, but I'm still stuck in this choice.
What do you think of your AT compared to 1200GS ?
Help :p
I too am on the fence as well between the 1200GS and AT. Time to change up from my 1200RT and DR650.
The RT has been to Baja and Chicken Alaska but is not happy on gravel. I love the heated grips, factory waterproof luggage and long range comfort.
The DR is a blast on gravel and forest service roads but a pig on single track and not something I'd ride to Alaska. Wolfman luggage is OK but fiddley.
I intend to explore more of the gravel roads / FSR's here in BC. I've ridden the 1200GS but I'm leery of the spoked rims guys have bent on stuff my DR bashed over. They sit on the Cylinder head when down so are pretty easy to pick up.
There is no AT to test ride and dealers keep saying most of their 2017's are pre-sold. Hard to commit to something I can't test ride. And I can't lay one down on the Dealer's floor to try and pick it up.

Can one really travel long distance comfort on the AT and next weekend head to Squamish and keep up with guys riding KTM 990's on rough gravel through river beds?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts