Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding for years, dirt in my early years, moved to Goldwings and have a GL1800A and a KLR. Decided to expand the stable (my wife's words, not mine, but at 70 I figure that's ok) and picked up a 2018 Adventure Sports on Saturday. So, a couple of questions for the group. The first is wind management and what you are doing for it? I would like to get a VStream but they do not make it for this model, only the 4-fastener attachment and this has 6 (Solved all the problems on the KLR, and I have actually done a 400 mile day on the beast). So, what is everyone doing. The second question relates to protecting the engine. The crash bar that comes stock only appears to protect the fairing, but nothing for the cases. Do you know what is compatible with the existing? Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't really answer your questions but welcome to the forum. I do have a VStream but its on my regular AT not the Adventure Sports model.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wasup VFMoore,

I am loving the protection setup I bought.

https://bboffroad.com.au/bash-plate-honda-crf1000l-dakar.html

https://usshop.outbackmotortek.com/product/honda-africa-twin-crf-1000l-crash-bars/

https://usshop.outbackmotortek.com/product/upper-crash-bars-honda-africa-twin-1000/

That's what I have for the Engine.

Windprotection i have the SWEGOTECH wind deflector for the forks. They work good.

The protection I got is amazing.

I dropped my bike at least 15 times while offroading, and the bike is in perfect condition. Absolutely no damage whatsoever to the engine nor the bike.

Cheers!

Ride Safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to the happy world of the Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports...

You're a bit luckier than those of us who purchased our ATAS models months ago. I got mine in late July and back then, the aftermarket was still in catch-up mode with the 2018 ATAS. But now there are lots of options available for the ATAS--lower crash bars, uppers, panniers, hand-guards, etc.

Check out the Parts and Accessories sub-forum. The first two or three pages have lots of great info on crash bars, windscreens, etc.

I wrote a few reviews myself--on my Givi Tall windscreen, H&B engine bars, etc.

But here is the latest pic of my bike all a-tanto for now (the 70mm screws finally came in so I could install the Hepco & Becker hand-guards with my Touratech 20mm bridge riser).

And my setup is described in my signature line below.

Good luck and happy riding, Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am not much younger than you and traded my 17 Africa Twin for an 18 Africa Twin Adventure Sport. Hepco Becker makes lower engine guards that fit with the stock skid plate and the stock upper guards for the Adventure Sport. I just received mine today and will mount this weekend.

The upgrades on the Adventure Sport were worth trading for me. Also decided to try the DCT transmission - really like it even though I am used to a gearbox.

Would suggest investing in a centerstand for chain and wheel maintenance and strong hand-guards t.o prevent body damage in the event of the bike going over (check out the Highway Dirt Bike clamps and guards - they are some of the best guards I have seen).

·
Registered
104 Posts
And as for your screen the standard Africa twin screen will bolt straight on using 4 of the six fixings.
I use a Batzen adjustable screen riser with the standard Atas screen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 for the Outback Motortek Crash Bars & engine Guards

Just installed them and made a post on the other AT forum here... https://africatwin.org/forum/threads/outback-motortek-crash-bars-2018-africa-twin.1854/#post-10025

Can't recommend the bars enough. Company and product.

Also installed BarkBusters hand guards. Those with the crash bars are enough to keep the bike off of the ground for me. Watch out for the BarkBusters install though. Mine was dangerous without modification. Thread here: https://africatwin.org/forum/threads/barkbusters-storm-guards-2018-africa-twin.1855/#post-10103

Finally the screen. At 6'2" I'm finding the screen useless. Totally unrideable. So I have bought the Batzen screen bracket as mentioned above. Arrived today - haven't even opend the box yet.

Making a thread here: https://africatwin.org/forum/threads/batzen-adjustable-screen-bracket-2018-frica-twin.1860/

Hopefully will get some posts up on this forum soon too :)

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I forgot to mention, the Givi Tall Windscreen (D1144ST) has just four screw holes too. The OEM screen uses 6 screws. But the Givi does away with the middle two and it works just fine. (Maybe that's the case with the VStream as well)?

And the Givi screen solved all my wind issues. I was getting crazy buffeting and strange high-frequency vibrations on my glasses (that was so bad at times, it was like looking through carnival glasses—very disconcerting). I noticed it on my first ride and the Givi screen was my first necessary mod.

I'm 6'3'' and the Givi is downright perfect for me--it works so very well. Riding at speed is a joy—some easy flowing wind up high, but the normal, enjoyable type of wind. No buffeting at all. The Givi is solid all the way up—no big hole in the middle like the OEM (which may benefit that screen for certain riders in certain conditions, but not for me). It's about 2 1/2 inches taller and nearly 4 inches wider at the top. And I have been riding exclusively with a Bell Custom 500 with a retro visor installed at all times—if any helmet reveals issues, it's an open-faced helmet with a visor. I can do 80+ MPH and I have zero wind issues; it’s just plain wonderful. (I'm in the market for a nice modular helmet now that the cold weather has arrived). And with nearly 1000 miles on the bike, I have never once—not once—been hit with a bug in the face or upper body. (And that's saying something for Virginia, in the late summer esp. — I can't tell you how many times I was stung by a bees, caught in my collar, on my naked bikes in the past).

But I also like the Givi because it looks so dạmned nice on the bike. With its smoked-out bottom and longer length, it’s actually prettier than the OEM but blends right in.

I fell in love with the stock look of the ATAS from the beginning and all my modifications have been in keeping with that—my Hepco & Becker engine guards are so subtle, you almost don't see them, and yet they are sturdy as hẹll and will do as good a job as any lower bars in a fall. For the uppers, I've stayed with the OEMs but added the H&B bar bags for further cushioning in a fall (and the OEM uppers are sturdier with less movement in them after fastening through the H&B lowers). And I just added the H&B handguards—again, subtle, hardly noticeable, but robust as hẹll. I like the OEM skid plate too; it’s not bad, but I might get an even sturdier one if I can find one that fits my criteria of being subtle and hardly noticeable. (Having said that, if I was going to rock it off-road, I’d be all over that massive bash plate gvmumbral has—that’s a skid plate and lower engine protection wrapped in one colossal piece—I can’t imagine better overall lower protection).

The only things that pop on my bike are the bar bags and the panniers and I can have them off in a jiffy. In fact, I like the look of the bike with just the addition of the Touratech rack at the back.

I think the OEM uppers get a bit of a bad rap—they aren’t nearly as stout as OMs or some other brands, but they are plenty stout enough, esp. with the addition of the bar bags to help further mitigate/ soften any fall over or even moderate slides. And although that “Mad Max” look can be pretty cool, it’s just not for me. The bike just looks cleaner, nicer—to my eye—without large crash bars. And being in my mid-50s, I'm all about slow and easy riding on fire trails or moderate paths with the occasional complication or obstacle to get my heart rate up a bit. My hard riding days are over.

Here are the links to my reviews if you're interested:

GIVI Sport Touring screen (D1144ST)
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...givi-sport-touring-screen-d1144st-review.html
2018 ATAS with Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards and Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...ine-guards-touratech-zega-mundo-panniers.html
Review: Touratech Bridged Handlebar Risers - 20mm
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...-touratech-bridged-handlebar-risers-20mm.html
First Impression/ Review: Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...o-becker-tank-guard-soft-bags-oem-uppers.html
Hepco & Becker Handguards on ATAS with 20mm Risers.
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...hepco-becker-handguards-atas-20mm-risers.html

But there are lots of other options too. Have fun exploring and good luck, Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
You say that Givi screen is only 2 1/2 inches taller than the stock screen? Looks a lot more.

... is the ATAS screen taller than the standard AT screen to start with? .. or is just the width playing with my eye balls?

·
Registered
284 Posts
From what I read, the 2018 ATAS has a 3 inch taller screen than the 2018 AT Standard.

And I measured the Givi Sport Touring Screen against the ATAS OEM Screen as:

• 2 3/8 in. taller at the top.
  • Nearly 4 in. wider, overall, near the top.
  • About 3 in. wider overall in the middle.
  • About 2 in. wider overall where it meets the fairing.
  • And about 3 in. wider overall near the bottom.

But I can still easily see over and around the Givi screen.

I think Givi flat out hit a home run in the design of this screen. The angle/ cant (it slants back more than the OEM), the width, the height, the side tapering, thickness, the way it fits snuggly and perfectly into the opening in the fairing, etc. cause the wind to flow up, over and around the rider. The screen couldn't fit better—bespoke to the nth degree. Perfect: they couldn't have done a better job.

It looks for all the world like a stock screen and Honda should offer it (or one exactly like it) as an option for actual touring. The OEM screen appears more off-road oriented—fits with the dirt DNA in the bike, but is a curse for anyone over 6 ft. tall on the highway.

And beyond the fact that the Givi screen functions perfectly for a taller rider, it looks even *better* than the stock screen (which looks pretty nice itself). But the Givi screen looks cool as shite.

I should add, I ride with the seat in the high position—it feels best to me and I can flat foot both sides, no problem—and still the screen functions perfectly for me at highway speeds.

And you can't beat the cost... I paid just over $100 for mine—that's less than many clamp on visors or deflectors. And (to each his own but) I think it looks a whole lot better than a clamp on. I like the clean, streamlined look, not a lot of jagged lines.

I guess it's obvious, but I can't say enough good things about this screen. It's possible that it might not work as well for other tall riders, but I just can't imagine why it wouldn't.

NOTE: To be fair, I should also add that I do have a Swegotech Forkshield installed as well. But it's the Givi screen that solved my particular problems—Night and Day difference. The difference with the Forkshield is more subtle. But I think the Forkshield is a no-brainer and probably helps... certainly can't hurt.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts