Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRF 1000L ATAS 2019 Tricolore
30 Posts
Hi
congrats to a great bike!

Said it before, consider a new sidestand if you are mounting standing on the footpeg. And if you are going on gravel probobley you would like wider pegs if you are going to stand up and ride.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts
Hi and welcome

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
758 Posts
Sport mode 2 or user mode set to P1 B2 T3. I hate having to reset the traction control every time the bike is turned on. T 6 is way to sensitive, a slight bump in the road or a gravel hill and it cuts all power to the engine.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
758 Posts
You would want the one for the fuel pump itself. But it won't be an easy install unless you are mechanically inclined. The recall mentioned earlier is for the welds on the tank (internal) not being cleaned properly. So the other tank sock wouldn't stop junk from getting to the pump as the junk is already in the tank. I would let the dealer be responsible for any problem, not you.

I had the dealer install mine while they were in there.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Today I purchased a 2018 Adventure with about 2000 miles. I will have lots of questions. I need to learn as much as possible before heading to Alaska next year.
I am open to all the information that is provided.
Spencer Chapin
Spencer,
Congrats on the new purchase. I have an '18 AT/AS/DCT and just love that bike to pieces! It's such a pleasure to ride. Now, what think you NEED vs what you WANT maybe a bit different. I'd have to agree on the suggestion of the aftermarket side stand though. That side stand that come stock is a bit on the weak side. Yes, it works and for the most part, it will survive. But, many of us that utilize the left foot peg to mount and dismount our A/T's, just don't like the additional stress put on such a weak designed side stand.

So, we opted for the Camel Toe version. Waaaaaaaaaaay better and considerably more stout. This is a choice thing. You make the choice based on how you feel when you see it and mess around with it. Now, I added the McCruise Cruise control to mine and l love it to death. It acts just like a regular automotive cruise with Acc, Res, On, Off, set and all that. And it will increment up or down, 1-2 mph each time you push either RES or SET. That is a neat feature for micro adjusting your speed, if and when needed.

I also added a very reasonably priced Tire Pressure Monitor System. I was linked to it by another member on here and, it's been on there for about a year, and it works flawlessly. It gives pressure and temp and wakes up when you move the handlebars ever so slightly. Again, just a suggestion here. It's nice to know what your tire pressure is at a glance.

This is not needed but, it sure is a blessing to have. I installed and hard wired a brand-new Garmin Zumo XT. It's activated by the ignition system. It's a bit on the expensive side at around $500+ but to me, well worth it for many various and important (to me) reasons.

Of course, I also have a phone mount for obvious reasons. Of all of what I have mentioned, the only real part that I felt I needed was the side stand. All the rest is just great to have to make life more fun and pleasurable while out and about.

The only other thing I wish my '18 AT/AS/DCT had, that the '20's came with is, self-cancelling turn signals. I try and remember that I used them at a turn but, with this ole feeble mind, I forget every so often. There is a company out there called ST2 that makes a module that does the work of self-canceling. It's not all that expensive but, it is involved in the installation. Again, your choice. Good luck and enjoy that fine machine.
Scott

·
Registered
Honda CRF 1000L ATAS 2019 Tricolore
30 Posts
Spencer,
Congrats on the new purchase. I have an '18 AT/AS/DCT and just love that bike to pieces! It's such a pleasure to ride. Now, what think you NEED vs what you WANT maybe a bit different. I'd have to agree on the suggestion of the aftermarket side stand though. That side stand that come stock is a bit on the weak side. Yes, it works and for the most part, it will survive. But, many of us that utilize the left foot peg to mount and dismount our A/T's, just don't like the additional stress put on such a weak designed side stand.

So, we opted for the Camel Toe version. Waaaaaaaaaaay better and considerably more stout. This is a choice thing. You make the choice based on how you feel when you see it and mess around with it. Now, I added the McCruise Cruise control to mine and l love it to death. It acts just like a regular automotive cruise with Acc, Res, On, Off, set and all that. And it will increment up or down, 1-2 mph each time you push either RES or SET. That is a neat feature for micro adjusting your speed, if and when needed.

I also added a very reasonably priced Tire Pressure Monitor System. I was linked to it by another member on here and, it's been on there for about a year, and it works flawlessly. It gives pressure and temp and wakes up when you move the handlebars ever so slightly. Again, just a suggestion here. It's nice to know what your tire pressure is at a glance.

This is not needed but, it sure is a blessing to have. I installed and hard wired a brand-new Garmin Zumo XT. It's activated by the ignition system. It's a bit on the expensive side at around $500+ but to me, well worth it for many various and important (to me) reasons.

Of course, I also have a phone mount for obvious reasons. Of all of what I have mentioned, the only real part that I felt I needed was the side stand. All the rest is just great to have to make life more fun and pleasurable while out and about.

The only other thing I wish my '18 AT/AS/DCT had, that the '20's came with is, self-cancelling turn signals. I try and remember that I used them at a turn but, with this ole feeble mind, I forget every so often. There is a company out there called ST2 that makes a module that does the work of self-canceling. It's not all that expensive but, it is involved in the installation. Again, your choice. Good luck and enjoy that fine machine.
Scott
Hi
The self cancelling turn signal actully came 2019. I´ve got it on my ATAS (manual) and iI love it! If you ar a tall guy You would probobly lik to have lowerd footpegs as well. Mine are lowerd 30 mm and it´s just perfect when I am standing (They are also bigger) I´m 190 cm ( about 6´3)
Tire Wheel Helmet Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
758 Posts
Looking forward to ride reports from CO. Been riding my smaller bike there for years now, beautiful area

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Scott thank you
I plan on doing most of what you suggested. The bike has had both recalls done.
I also had a GYL Exclusive that I traded in on a 2018 Goldwing DCT.
Spence
I envy you immensely Sir. I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to acquire a DCT Wing. But, unless I dump both my A/T and my GLE Exlcusive, there's just no way to afford it, in my present financial arrangement. Hope you're happy with it.
Hi
The self cancelling turn signal actully came 2019. I´ve got it on my ATAS (manual) and iI love it! If you ar a tall guy You would probobly lik to have lowerd footpegs as well. Mine are lowerd 30 mm and it´s just perfect when I am standing (They are also bigger) I´m 190 cm ( about 6´3) View attachment 68226
Iride4u,
I see you're from someplace OUTSIDE the U.S. In that case, yes, the self canceling turn signals were introduced on I think, the '18 AT in Europe and other countries. It's been discussed a few times on here but, no one really seems to know why Honda offered self canceling turn signals in countries outside the U.S. way before they let the '20's have them.
Scott

·
Registered
820 Posts
I see you're from someplace OUTSIDE the U.S. In that case, yes, the self canceling turn signals were introduced on I think, the '18 AT in Europe and other countries. It's been discussed a few times on here but, no one really seems to know why Honda offered self canceling turn signals in countries outside the U.S. way before they let the '20's have them.
Scott
I have a 2019 Africa Twin and can confirm the Canadian models did not get self cancelling signals. that may be a good thing. I took a test ride on a Pan America with self cancelling signal lights and did not like it. The signal lights kept getting cancelled far too soon for the traffic conditions encountered during the ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I envy you immensely Sir. I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to acquire a DCT Wing. But, unless I dump both my A/T and my GLE Exlcusive, there's just no way to afford it, in my present financial arrangement. Hope you're happy with it.

Iride4u,
Scott
I am from Colorado. Currently I can't get out of the neighborhood due to snow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.