Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got some Kenda 784 Big Blocks mostly because they were not expensive and I have had good experiences with Kenda 270s but for the first 100 miles I was very disappointed with their performance and was thinking I had made a big mistake. The bike was unstable and the front end wandered around especially when cornering. After they scuffed in things improved but only a little and the bike was still handling badly. I realized the new rear tire was taller than the stock tire it replaced so I adjusted the rear sag down by reducing the spring preload 3 clicks (from 19 to 16) and that made all the difference. The bike now handles as good as ever and the tires work great on both paved and unpaved roads. The front tire gives good feedback and feels confident in corners and the tires do not make a lot of noise on the pavement. I'm really pleased at how this turned out and I really like how the tires perform now. Just a simple suspension adjustment made all the difference in how the tires work with the bike. I've only got about 300 miles on them right now and can't say how fast they will wear but I'll post more as the miles roll up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?? As you know all tires are subject to how much right wrist is applied. But Kenda 784 big blocks are awesome ? ??????

I did a 50 mile dirt road ride weaving through 4 counties in the Texas Panhandle yesterday. It was zero pavement and mostly all broken rocks, soft red dirt and deep yellow sand but I got through it okay. The AT was very controllable in the sand as long as I was standing up but if I sat down the front would start wandering. The Kendas could get 700lbs of rider and bike moving quickly in the sand. In the rocky parts and soft dirt the tires also performed well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a very cold winter with little riding so the tires have only 1,800 miles on them. The rear is wearing faster than the front which is in great shape. I'm going to guess the rear will need replacing around 4,000 miles but the front will be good for twice that.

A word on the torque control, It definitely has a positive effect on tire wear on the pavement. Definitely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts