Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ’17 AT... I ride the heck out of it, a lot of dirt. I mount from peg over, with kick stand down. The kick stand is now creaking, seem to be giving out slowly. Lean is further,. I tightened everything up. But it makes sounds, when I’m mounting like it’s going to break.
Anybody else have this happen.
I’m putting a Camel Toe after market stand on, but don’t feel should have to....?
Thx

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
Yeah, I put the ADV Camel side stand on almost immediately based on the bending I saw and confirmation from other Forum members. No regrets, and the price is reasonable for what you get.

Honda probably tried to save weight here, but like anything, maybe while compromising durability. Anyway, I don't think about it or look down at it anymore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yup, I put the Camel Toe on because of the visible bending of the OEM stand. Camel makes great products, you won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m 300lb and do the same sort of **** you do with my 2016 AT including the lean over spiny turn in the parking lot and I’ve never experienced a weakened side stand!
Have you had any rock/Boulder damage to it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've been wondering, there have been seemingly dozens of people worried about the stand breaking and many who have pre-emptively replaced the stock part, but who knows of an actual broken one, or bent it so it was unusable?

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
At least the ADV Camel side stand has an integrated large toe pad. No need to buy and attach a geeky clip-on. :geek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, went with the Camel ADV Camel Toe since that's how I mount my ATAS with the panniers on. I didn't want to find out if the stock one would eventually break and liked the integrated larger footprint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mount my AT the same way, kick stand down, left foot on peg and hop over bike. Also noticed the kick stand flexing. Think I am going to look into this camel toe solution as it doesn't inspire confidence.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They don't seem to sell one for the 1100, nor have I experienced any flex. I assume it was updated, but does anyone know for sure?

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
They don't seem to sell one for the 1100, nor have I experienced any flex. I assume it was updated, but does anyone know for sure?
If it doesn't flex when you mount using the left rider's foot peg, then maybe you are already good to go. I suppose you could "jump up-n-down" on the left foot peg while on the side stand. The OEM stand for the CRF1000 flexes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I received the below email from Camel on the 9th.
I just order one myself.
Hello!

We are pleased to let you know that Camel Toe Side Stand - Africa Twin - Standard length (non-ADV Sport model) is now back in stock at Camel ADV Products .

Click the button below to get yours before they're out of stock again!

Happy shopping!
— Camel ADV Products

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Original poster here...
Well..I ordered and received my Camel Toe stand. I got the Adventure one which is about 1 inch longer. I like it so far.. bigger contact, stronger and I end in dirt situations where the tad longer one helps. And yes, my OEM stand was bent and did not give me confidence standing on it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Original poster here...
Well..I ordered and received my Camel Toe stand. I got the Adventure one which is about 1 inch longer. I like it so far.. bigger contact, stronger and I end in dirt situations where the tad longer one helps. And yes, my OEM stand was bent and did not give me confidence standing on it.
Garnett,
Well Sir, there's a couple things wrong with the OEM stand from Honda. First, as you've seen and felt, it's WEAK in construction. Honda did what they did, to create it and, it works. But, it is a weak product. It's good enough to get the bike through warranty and maybe a bit beyond. But, for those of us that would simply like something a bit more stout, we all ordered and installed the Camel Toe version. I have never regretted spending the $120 or so for that stand, not one bit.

But, there's something else wrong with the Honda kick stand mounting. I took a very careful set of measurements with the machined components in that stand and so did a friend of mine, who's done years and years worth of machining. We both concluded that, there's considerably too much clearance in the pivoting sections of that stand. A few thousandths of extra (un needed in our opinion) clearance is what they provided. And a few thousandths equates to a pretty fair amount of EXTRA movement in the stand mounting point. That, coupled with a weak design, accounts for the total movement in that stand system.

The top heavy weight of an AT/AS, and the suspension un-loading, when the stand is asked for support, makes for unsettling situations, for some of us. I corrected both. I installed the Camel Toe stand AND, I had my buddy machine up a tighter clearance bushing for the main pivot. That stand is now SERIOUSLY more stable than it was from the factory.

I too mount the bike by climbing on the foot peg while on the stand. I'm very trusting of what I have now vs when it was original. Some, maybe most, don't really mind what they have and, that's fine. I wanted something better, at least for me.
Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts