Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm old school, and have always turned my bike off using the key. But I got to thinking why not use the kill switch more often because if I don't it could seize up and when I needed to use it in an emergency it wouldn't work! is there any reason not to use it all the time.

I think in the old days the circuit use to break down if the kill switch was used too much, but I'm sure modern bikes aren't so brittle these days!

Anyway what do you all think?

Dibbs

·
Registered
105 Posts
is there any reason not to use it all the time.

Dibbs
If you are going to remove the key there is no point in using the kill switch.

If you're going to leave the key in there is always the danger of

1. Draining the battery by not powering everything off, as your electrics remain live.

2. You are inviting someone to take you pride and joy as they are able to flick the kill switch and disappear>:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I seem to recall some folks having an issue with the bike shutting down immediately after starting due to micro-arcing in the switch itself. The fix, surprisingly, was to start shutting the bike off with the kill switch. It was on ADVrider forum but I just tried and can't find the thread. It took me a while to get used to it, but I use the kill switch most of the time now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I seem to recall some folks having an issue with the bike shutting down immediately after starting due to micro-arcing in the switch itself. The fix, surprisingly, was to start shutting the bike off with the kill switch. It was on ADVrider forum but I just tried and can't find the thread. It took me a while to get used to it, but I use the kill switch most of the time now.
I believe this might be the quote you were looking for...

On the starting issue it seems to be traced back to the start kill switch. If you kill the bike consistently with the kill switch not the ignition your problem will go away there's a revised part number for the switch block. Mine used to be really bad about doing that same thing starting and then dying. Started just killing it with the Killswitch and I don't have the problem anymore. I well make them replace the switch before warranty runs out though. On the spoke issue Honda told me that they got new spokes with thicker zinc coating and they will replace the set with them. They did not say anything about not offroading it it's an adventure bike for crying out loud. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought using the kill switch when trail riding would be good if i stopped to take a photo or have a pee! As i think doing this will not deactivate the traction control and abs which needs to be re set again if using the key to switch off!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old school here too ... the key . My Honda vtx1800 manual says to kill it with the key and use the switch for emergency purposes , so that's what I do .I think if you lube it well with lithium grease contacts won't corrode and you will never have any problems with it .

·
Registered
225 Posts
Since 8 years on all new bikes, I've always used the side stand killswitch and none of the bikes had any problems whatsoever !

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
But why? Other than the strange issue with the early kill switches being prone to shorting if not used much I can't for the life of me see why you would want to kill the engine with either the side stand or the kill switch
Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Killing the engine with the kill switch has probably led to more dead batteries than any other cause. I use it only for emergency kill. That's why it's RED.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have always used the kill switch on pretty well all the bikes I have owned and never had any problems with flat batteries.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I initially posted this question I suppose to see if the ABS & traction control would not need to be re set after using the kill switch. I read somewhere I think that this was the case but cant find it now so will give it a try today and let you know! However if the kill switch was used then I would always turn off the key afterwards and remove!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well I initially posted this question I suppose to see if the ABS & traction control would not need to be re set after using the kill switch. I read somewhere I think that this was the case but cant find it now so will give it a try today and let you know! However if the kill switch was used then I would always turn off the key afterwards and remove!
Ok. There is some logic then. But wouldn't it reset when you turned the key. I guess that's what you are asking
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Possibly Mike, but I was wondering if say I stopped to take a photo or help someone pick up their bike etc then jumped back on and rode off I wouldn't have to go through the checklist of abs and TC all over again! I know it only takes a minute but I also wonder of the bike stalls would you have to re set all the abs and TC stuff! I was going to try this out today but its pissing down at the moment here so still cant check these things out lol.... (fair ish weather biker lol...)

·
Registered
56 Posts
You got it Dibbs, that's what it does.

Keeps the ABS and traction control settings intact.

You could turn it on and off like that all day, unless you needed to walk away for something.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You got it Dibbs, that's what it does.

Keeps the ABS and traction control settings intact.

You could turn it on and off like that all day, unless you needed to walk away for something.
Thanks gman, that was what I hoped it would do!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought using the kill switch when trail riding would be good if i stopped to take a photo or have a pee! As i think doing this will not deactivate the traction control and abs which needs to be re set again if using the key to switch off!
As I do many trail rides with friends, we sometimes have to wait just a few minutes for the rear riders to catch up, so I often use just the Kill Switch.
It's conveniant not having to reset the ABS each time, although the Traction Control will reset, but that not a problem as you can do that on the go.
I done this about 1000 times ;) and so far no problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts