Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few punctures, of which the last one left me in a dangerous location / position, I am looking at bringing in a set of Kineo tubeless rims for my AT. I like these because the spokes are outside of the rim and the only rubber o'ring is where the valve seats.

This post is about finding out if there are others in South Africa who will be interested in a set as well? If there are, we should be able to negotiate a discount for a 'bulk' order as well as a saving on the shipping.

If you are interested, lets communicate and see what we can come up with.....

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi JohnG, I have a pair of them, I like the idea and the look and the fact of tubeless, but one thing I do not like is the very very small cush drive on the rear sprocket, you feel the 270 crank pulses a lot more and the hole bike vibrates a lot more. I went back to oem rim on the back and left the front on. I am going to email Kineo and see if I can get a oem hub fitted to there rim. I do have a set of JB-POWER Magtan magnesium on my cb1100a with six small cush drive insert and it feels good but it is smooth 4 cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello, I like the looks of your chain, may I ask what brand?
Thanks
Min
Hi JohnG, I have a pair of them, I like the idea and the look and the fact of tubeless, but one thing I do not like is the very very small cush drive on the rear sprocket, you feel the 270 crank pulses a lot more and the hole bike vibrates a lot more. I went back to oem rim on the back and left the front on. I am going to email Kineo and see if I can get a oem hub fitted to there rim. I do have a set of JB-POWER Magtan magnesium on my cb1100a with six small cush drive insert and it feels good but it is smooth 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rusty,
Thank you, that is really valuable feedback.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A update on Kineo rims, I emailed them and they do made a OEM style hub by special order if you do order rims. These rims are strong, great looking and tubeless with only one hole in them for the valve stem. I did order one to refit my rear rim. Will post pic's when done. I can not wait for spring to get here.

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Great looking wheels. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost?
Is that last photo Gray Creek Pass/Forest Road?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A update on Kineo rims, I emailed them and they do made a OEM style hub by special order if you do order rims. These rims are strong, great looking and tubeless with only one hole in them for the valve stem. I did order one to refit my rear rim. Will post pic's when done. I can not wait for spring to get here.
Hi Rusty1,

Thank for the update. I can't wait to hear if this update resolves the vibration issue for you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great looking wheels. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost?
Is that last photo Gray Creek Pass/Forest Road?
Hi the cost is about 3350.00 Canadian, The last pic is at the summit going between Sullivan lake WA and Priest Lake Idaho, some real great riding in Idaho, Washington they take good care of there FSR, not like Canada, Gated, ditched, not maintained. I do spend most of me days off riding in WA,ID,OR,MO,CA, back roads that go some wear.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks for sharing the price of that combo. Hefty investment but will certainly pay for themselves over the life of the bike.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry I am a bit confused. You say the kineo rear hub is not that good. But can you use the oem hub and the kineo rim connected by the kineo spokes?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry I am a bit confused. You say the kineo rear hub is not that good. But can you use the oem hub and the kineo rim connected by the kineo spokes?
That is highly unlikely.

but anyway...

You're confused.. I can add to that by saying that both the UK importer and Kineo themselves were also confused, when I made a point of asking about some of the concerns and comments from this forum. I wanted answers and got them.

I ordered a pair of kineo wheels as after much inner debate I concluded that these were the best long term solution for me.. they came at a cost. but I was lucky and that was mostly absorbed by the end of year discount I got on the bike in November.

Wheels took just under 10 weeks to arrive.

I am very pleased with the result. Front and rear. Bike is now wearing Conti Trail Attack 3s and has no tubes. And I have no complaints.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
How are the TA3’s working out ?

Love the TA2’s....3’s would presumably be the next logical step.
Too early to talk about longevity. The other tyres Ive been most used to were the Pilot Road 4 Trail, which i had on my R1100GS. So far the comparison is very good in these "on and off" wet conditions we've had recently. Nice and grippy from the first moment. No "ooerr" moments at all.

I'm assuming they will last well as they're dual compound.

Im taking a group to the Eifel/Ardennes later in the year so that should be a good test of how they deal with the Motorway, the godawful roads that are far too common in eastern Belgium and the super smooth conditions that are normal in Luxembourg and the Eifel. See how that works out ready for next years big trip to the Tyrol and Julian Alps.

Im just happy there are decent tubeless tyres available in these sizes. And if the '3' had not been available I would happily have gone for the '2' instead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also asked Kineo about the vibration and there answer is:
“since one year ago, the rear KINEO wheel for Africa Twin is equipped with a new cushion drive system which has been developed to replace the previous one.
We've increased the dimensions of this new cushion drive in order to make it more suitable to soften the typical vibrations of the big twin cylinder engines that are installed on most of the bikes equipped with KINEO wheels.
Many manufactures have done the same switching from Euro3 homologated version to the Euro4 version of their bikes.”
So I think apart from my bank balance i feel safe to order it. I hope the vibration stopped with this revision...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I hope the vibration stopped with this revision...
The answer I got in December from the dealer and also from Kineo was essentially: what vibration?

The dealer has sold 18 sets of wheels since Kineo first produced wheels for the CRF1000L and not a single complaint over all that time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The answer I got in December from the dealer and also from Kineo was essentially: what vibration?

The dealer has sold 18 sets of wheels since Kineo first produced wheels for the CRF1000L and not a single complaint over all that time.
That makes sense. Kin d of. The complaint on the forum was in mid 2017. Kineo replied to me that they redesigned it one and a half years ago. So nomore complaint...but they could have admitted there was an inital imperfectness.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That makes sense. Kin d of. The complaint on the forum was in mid 2017. Kineo replied to me that they redesigned it one and a half years ago. So nomore complaint...but they could have admitted there was an inital imperfectness.
Actually, not much in this thread makes any sense to me.

Suffice to say I find no problems whatsoever with the wheels.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts