Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says most of it, I currently ride a 2003 Kawasaki KLR650 and am looking to upgrade to something with more power and road capability. I don't honestly go off road much, but i like knowing i have the option to if i needed/wanted to. AT looks like the way to go to me, but it's winter here so I'm mainly just researching for the moment while I wait for the local dealer to get back to me on ordering an AT. Need to sell the KLR too... which by the way is the only bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like it would be a good upgrade for you to me. The KLR's are solid motorcycle, tried and true. While the Africa Twin is an all new bike it looks to fill that same niche but in modern form (fingers crossed). You would gain a great deal in power and road manners while sacrificing next to nothing off road. Depending on where and how you ride off road you will probably benifit there as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aye, the KLR's been good to me, but that old carbureted single cylinder just does not have much power.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Keith-

I think you will like the AT. Much more roadworthy than the KLR due to the power, smoother motor and more sophisticated suspension. The AT is about 70 lbs heavier than the KLR, but it carries the weight low. The weather protection on the AT is much better.

The KLR has a reputation for being anvil reliable once you have fixed a few items (doohickey), but I think you will find the Honda won't let you down either. Certainly a higher cost of ownership, but worth it IMHO.

Good luck in your quest!

Ride Safe-
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
keith, so i've had my AT dct for a few weeks and about 440 miles. some highway, some back roads, some off road. great on everything but best on curvy secondary roads. the thing i like most about the AT is the playfulness of it. it will be so far superior to your klr you'll think you died and went to motorcycle heaven. i'm not exaggerating.

if you want more power (say three times more) and better road going (another triple multiple) i'd say you'll be thrilled with an AT. you'll even like the thudding almost single like power pulses of the 270 degree crank AT engine. extremely controllable. i say it's got about as much power as you can use on most roads.

now to come up with the money ... another story. tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear another happy DCT owner, I'm starting to become seriously tempted to pick it...

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had a 2010 KLR and can honestly say there was no love lost when I sold it. Then I jumped on my Varadero which was a significant upgrade in every way (including weight, haha).

I think you'll find from specs alone that modern suspension, electronics, seat and riding position are much better than the KLR (1980s bike with modern plastics). :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keith,

After 17yrs and two KLR's (00 and 08) I am enjoying the AT very much. Like you I needed more power for the hwy sections of ADV.
Yes much heavier. No off pavement mileage yet with AT. 3k miles pavement. Did many D/S, BDR and adv rides on the KLR and it always got me there and back. Good memories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts