Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new here and struggling to type this with 1 arm. Unfortunately I totaled my 05' V-Strom last month when a car came to an abrupt complete stop on a single lane highway in front of our group of 5 riders. I, and my bike, suffered the most damage. Bike went upside down into a ditch. I suffered a broken shoulder blade, clavicle, ribs, and vertebrae. Recovery is coming right along. Meanwhile, I'm looking ahead to my next bike. I've ridden an 03' KLR for years now and have had great adventures with it. I blew the motor up commuting with it and snagged a great deal on the V-Strom. I got the KLR fixed again, but got too used to the Strom's power and smoothness(compared to the KLR) so the Strom became my primary ride. I told myself I'd never settle for a road bike with less power than the Strom that I'd come to expect. In researching bikes, I haven't fallen in love with any. That is until I saw the 2019 ATAS in silver. I started researching them and find most owners just love them. I really think it would make a perfect replacement do-everything-bike. I may even consider selling my KLR since I have an XR400 for real dirt riding. I'm hoping to hear lots of feedback from you all to honestly tell me if you think it'd be a good fit for me. Also, I'm leaning toward the DCT but have never rode one. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got a 2018 ATAS DCT, and I am totally in love with it. In my opinion, it is the best do-it-all bike there is.

Cheers dude, and have a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Try the DCT. I have a manual and if I had a chance for another new bike I'd definitely go for the DCT. Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've heard it takes so getting used to so I'm afraid to do a test ride and immediately dislike it.
Just get either one, Ive got the ATAS manual with the quickshifter, I love it . feels plenty powerful enough, Bum ache after a couple of hours in the saddle though but you cant have everything i guess but great bike all the same..

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've heard it takes so getting used to so I'm afraid to do a test ride and immediately dislike it.
10 minutes. Thats how long it took me. just 10 minutes. what took slightly longer was getting used to not having a clutch lever.. I reached for it the first time I rode the bike, without thinking. and once again the next day. Both times I laughed out loud. I find myself using the front brake a little more.. but not much more than usual. This isnt even close to a big deal. and the rear brake for better control at very slow speeds.

And being ready to use the - Button, the downshift as and when it's (rarely) necessary.

its largely based on anecdotal evidence.. but the DCT is proving to be very reliable over the longer term. This 3rd generation box + the ride by wire throttle means upshifts are smooth as silk. seamless. Only down shifts are noticeable and not in a bad way.

My habit.. and one Im very deliberately employing from the get-go so that over time it becomes automatic. done without thinking, is clicking the box into neutral when at a standstill for more than a few seconds. at traffic lights. And obviously being very aware of the need to use the 'hand brake' when parking on any kind of an incline. Also.. never.. ever. being tempted to 'rev' the bike at a standstill unless it is in neutral.

Its very strange at first. weird even. but that feeling passes very quickly. Choosing the DCT was I reckon one of my better decisions. For my part, the biggest problem with the bike is that it has tube tyres. But this is something I intend addressing as a matter of urgency. Over the next few weeks or months.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I too have a KLR along with the ATAS, and believe it or not, it is easier to flat-foot the AT. I purchased the manual only because I got such a good deal on it, but i really did want the DCT, and would get that should I have a mishap such as yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts