Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot be the only person who thinks that having to remove seat to get to allen key and then undo rear seat/side panel storage is a slick idea!? Good news: knurled s/s bolts in both M5 and M6 size can be found on interweb.....Mind you, I had to buy 10 of each!! I'll carry them around with me in case I meet other ATers! Only 3 weeks into ownership and loving it. Autumn weather playing ball here in UK too!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, Padgman!

I felt the same way. It’s a convenient little compartment but impossible to open without a 5mm bit, so one of my first purchases was a tool that I could keep on my keychain.

I went with a “Ringtool.” Its not as cheap as your solution but it also has a T25, a Phillips and a flat head screwdriver, and 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10mm hex drivers—so it works on some of the bike’s other bolts/screws.

I slip it under the backside flap in my leather key case (pics below) and snap it shut. The only other keys are my ignition and pannier keys, with pann key secured inside the leather case too. (I can’t stand any sort of rattling or vibrations from my keys while I'm riding—drives me nuts—makes me think something is loose somewhere; and then I fidget with the keys until it's gone. Not safe).

I also have another nylon and rubber zip-up key case I alternate between. Both allow for carrying the tool and my pannier key while just the ignition key sticks out, so everything is nice and quiet.

But I like your idea. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Best, Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just changed mine to an M5 with an allen head since the M5 allen key is already under the seat. $2.50 at the hardware store and one less socket to monkey around with.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The only problem with too easy access is it works for everyone and might even be inviting. I actually keep stuff in there I don't want anyone to know about. And it's fairly unnoticeable with the standard bolts unless you know to look for it.
(Re: the side storage).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried these - they are way too big and stop seat from being secured on it's lower setting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear seat, side panel storage ????? I never even knew there's space to store anything in there.

Anyone with photos with the rear seat/side panels removed, showing the storage space?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rear seat, side panel storage ????? I never even knew there's space to store anything in there.

Anyone with photos with the rear seat/side panels removed, showing the storage space?
Here are a few pics. I didn’t even bother taking a pic of the underside of the back seat, no real storage room there and I’ve never had to open it except to get to rear light wiring once, so I’m ok with the socket bolts there.

Under the front seat, there’s a bit of space. On the seat underside there's a set of clips you can lodge a document pack in. I have all my docs in a big wallet inside a zip bag. And there’s a bit of room for a few more things in the seat-well if they are slim enough.

The side storage lid secures with two 5mm Allen screws. Not a ton of room in there but it’s pretty convenient, esp. if you don’t have panns or other storage. (And it’s bigger than it looks in the pic, the opening is smaller than the inside space—it’s about the shape and size of a quart bottle, maybe(?) - narrow at either end but about 4 in. deep through the main middle area.

It easily fit my little .22 Beretta Bobcat pistol in its holster and some survival items all wrapped in cloth (so it wouldn’t rattle or move around). But I don’t use it for my gun anymore after I got the Hepco & Becker bar bags—I now store a Glock Model 42 with a few extra magazines in the right-side bar bag… it fits perfectly and snuggly down at the bottom of the bag.

I currently use the side storage for tools and a few survival items: a 7 inch long 3/8 in. ratchet with ¼ in. adapter and various hex bits and deep sockets, (in case I have to tighten down anything from my crash bars to handlebars), tire gauge; a multi-tool, matches, compass, etc., all wrapped in a cloth case, so it fits snug. I'm a bit limited on torque by my short ratchet but it works in a pinch—if I'm going off road for a while, I carry more tools in one of my panns. The compartment appears reasonably water resistant with its seal. But whatever you do, you’ll want to place your items in a case, or wrap them, prior to putting them in the compartment; it would be easy to lose something small down at the bottom of the enclosure, making it difficult to retrieve.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Found the capacity of the side storage compartment: 1.3 liters. So, about 1.3 quarts. Big enough for a decent sized tool roll, but limited to things about 8 - 9 inches long if you slide them in just right (and ignore the 1 lb. cargo weight limit).

But, I double-checked and realize I gave short shrift to the rear seat storage capacity. It's actually a few inches deep at the front, tapering down toward the back, and fairly wide too. You could definitely pack a few things in there. And it comes off and slides back on in a jiff.

Knurled knobs in place of the bolts makes a whole lot of sense, there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
problem solved .

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found the capacity of the side storage compartment: 1.3 liters. So, about 1.3 quarts. Big enough for a decent sized tool roll, but limited to things about 8 - 9 inches long if you slide them in just right (and ignore the 1 lb. cargo weight limit).

But, I double-checked and realize I gave short shrift to the rear seat storage capacity. It's actually a few inches deep at the front, tapering down toward the back, and fairly wide too. You could definitely pack a few things in there. And it comes off and slides back on in a jiff.

Knurled knobs in place of the bolts makes a whole lot of sense, there.

Attached pic

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Under seat pic. These are the same bolts as used for attaching cameras to stands etc. Kept in place with a spring washer and plain washer on each. Would have used wavy washers if I'd had any. Room under rear seat for my chain oiler and controller hopefully - will try later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried these - they are way too big and stop seat from being secured on it's lower setting.

Ah ! thats why I'm having problems getting the seat to fit on the lower setting. Thought it was me just being awkward !

:smile2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts