Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016, manual transmission

Idle is fine, riding around is fine, but when I get on the throttle hard to pass or speed up on the highway, the engine lags. It is almost as if the traction control is limiting the engine, but I tested and it does it even if I have traction control turned off.

I was off the bike for close to 6 months, could the injectors be gummed up and this is the symptom? It starts right up on the first bump and idles smooth.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts
Run some Seafoam or some Lukas injector cleaner through it.. Either way it wouldn’t hurt..

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
743 Posts
I'm thinking old gas, low octane. Drain some and do as other said, I like lucas fuel treatment....

Reactions: AT-Dragon

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,162 Posts
BTW 6mo is not a big deal in modem fuel, as far as going “stale” but that doesn’t mean your injectors ain’t a bit dirty just from time and use..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,162 Posts
@rustynut2
Yes that’s a generalization 3-6 months. But it’s not like at the end of that time it’s BAM no good useless. LOL even milk goes past its date.
some gas companies add cleaners and other additives that help stabilize the gas. Not to mention fuel injectors are waaaayyyy better at handling old gas then the old float bowl carburetor.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
743 Posts
Agree with that statement, other factors may be involved. If everyone is saying add seafoam then everyone is saying bad gas, yourself included, lol.

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
2016, manual transmission

Idle is fine, riding around is fine, but when I get on the throttle hard to pass or speed up on the highway, the engine lags. It is almost as if the traction control is limiting the engine, but I tested and it does it even if I have traction control turned off.

I was off the bike for close to 6 months, could the injectors be gummed up and this is the symptom? It starts right up on the first bump and idles smooth.
My 2019 ATAS does that every now and then. I am really not sure why. I was worried that it might be a residual issue due to the ATAS fuel tank. But the dealership inspected it and found no additional signs of residue in the tank, in the fuel filter etc.

It definitely isn't bad gas, at least in my case. It's been happening infrequently for years and when it does happen it will then run fine for the remainder of that tank until it happens again some days, weeks, months later.

Dealership can never replica the issue on a test ride.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
It is pretty hard to experience "bad gas" in the 21st century from North American top tier gas stations - even after winter storage with no fuel preservative.

Another idea might be, @MacNobody, is air box suffocation (or a momentary reversal of the vacuum). This has happened to me on a Honda CB750S and was hard to pin down until one gusty day it really showed its ugly head. The fuel would get real rich fast, and then soon recover. It was actually a very scary situation in a freeway scenario. Glad to be here today writing about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm changing the air filters and oil tomorrow anyway.

I filled up a few days ago, so the gas that is in there now is not the gas that was in the tank throughout the winter and spring. I put some Seafoam in the tank and rode about 50 miles today, will keep an eye on it over time.

It is pretty scary to experience when on the freeway, but I don't spend a lot of time out there anyway.

Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
Another theory to consider is for whatever reason, upon demand the engine is on the verge of flooding with fuel. Not saying this is the actual problem, but it could happen when the ECU isn't doling fuel out properly on sudden demand.

Otherwise, it sounds like the TC is intervening, but you said it is disabled when it happens too. Maybe the TC isn't actually off, even though the feedback indicates it is (dunno).

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
Another theory to consider is for whatever reason, upon demand the engine is on the verge of flooding with fuel. Not saying this is the actual problem, but it could happen when the ECU isn't doling fuel out properly on sudden demand.

Otherwise, it sounds like the TC is intervening, but you said it is disabled when it happens too. Maybe the TC isn't actually off, even though the feedback indicates it is (dunno).
When it happens with mine you can pretty much count "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi" and then it will suddenly take off.

I have have a few other random, infrequent, but annoying issues as well. Rough idle when cold (sputters and feels like it is going to stall), will suddenly surge and pull after being brought to a complete stop, won't exceed a certain speed (say 73mph). None of these happen regularly or frequently and the dealer can never reproduce them. It's kind of annoying and at times dangerous, but luckily rare.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When it happens with mine you can pretty much count "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi" and then it will suddenly take off.

I have have a few other random, infrequent, but annoying issues as well. Rough idle when cold (sputters and feels like it is going to stall), will suddenly surge and pull after being brought to a complete stop, won't exceed a certain speed (say 73mph). None of these happen regularly or frequently and the dealer can never reproduce them. It's kind of annoying and at times dangerous, but luckily rare.

Mine doesn't rough idle at all, but when I'm about 71/72 mph an really rip on the throttle to pass it acts like it wants to stall. When I start to let off the throttle, it surges forward a bit then calms down. I'm going to try to ride a lot more tomorrow and Sunday to try and get that Seafoam through there in case the injectors are gummed up and pay attention to any other symptoms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts