Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking at changing my handguards for something bigger, for wind protection more than for tree bashing etc. I feel the Honda ones are too small, also angled wrong and adjusting the right hand one upward will place the front brake rather high. I 've seen Power Bronze ones but only 1 image online. Anyone got them, or offer any other cheapish alternatives? Just looking to keep more wind off in the mornings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Honda guards are only for wind and break easily.
I second the Bark Buster Storms. Already saved me from damaging clutch lever.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Barkbuster Blizzard if its just "for wind protection more than for tree bashing etc". Use forum search tool for links to posts on these.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Barkbuster Storm and they are great. Combined with heated grips of course.
right is seems these are the bad boys then. I still need to fit my Koso heated grips when they arrive.

I think I read somewhere that the grips need trimming with the BB handguards. True? Cant remember where I saw it, or was I just getting my heated grips mixed up. Any pointers?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the bark buster storm hand guards but I just zip tied the stock plastic parts on instead of mounting the big huge ones that came with the kit. About 20 drops so far and they’re still intact! I took them off in the summmer time cause my hands were just too hot sweating and my gloves were hard to take off and on because of that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the stock handguards blocked the wind better than the Bark Buster Storm w/no heated grips. The BB are the real deal though, no grip trimming required. There are some extra steps for the DCT in the emergency brake lever area. BB are not the best fit on my AT, still tougher than OE plastics by a long shot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
right is seems these are the bad boys then. I still need to fit my Koso heated grips when they arrive.

I think I read somewhere that the grips need trimming with the BB handguards. True? Cant remember where I saw it, or was I just getting my heated grips mixed up. Any pointers?
I had to trim my Oxford Adventure grips, but only because they are particularly long. I think the BB set up actually ADDS clearance.
Cheers to warm hands! I was out in 3degC with light flurries yesterday and was grinning the whole time. :grin2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OKay, so finally got the BB fitted after 2 attempts. Beware, there is a left and right hand guard as well as a left and right hand extension/fitting arm. And for those with DCT, be careful fitting the extra metal guard as it can catch on the micro switch for the DCT brake and pull the little push rod out of the switch, leaving you with a permanent parking light on, even when the brake is definitely not engaged. Oh, and the extension arms go under the handelbar if anyone is in any doubt! But they are much bigger and solid. Worth the money I'd say.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right back to my handguard issues (can't find where I posted it) but basically the extra metal clip that stops the left hand parking brake from hitting the handguard, dislodged a small micro switch that moves in and out of the switch housing, turning the dash parking light on/off. Anyhow, I took it in to honda and they replaced the switch FOC and at the same time installed my koso grips. I asked them to rotate the grips so the switch would not impeded the paddle access on thumb side. So they installed it directly inline with the indicator switch. So it has to go back. After using the bike for 1 day, I used the parking brake once. Soon as I released the parking brake, the parking light stayed on again. Told Honda and they said they'd look at it at the same time as they fixed the heated grip. Got a call today to say the barkbuster metal thing is causing the switch pushrod thing to bend and it requires a new switch. I can honestly say I used the hand brake once, so I don't think Honda tested this before I collected. Anyway, seeing as I damaged the first one, and now another one has gone, I am wondering if the metal thing from BB is bent/not in tolerance? Also that I am liable for the new switch that's now on order. So has anyone else had a parking light issue when installing the BB guards?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just put the Barkbuster VPS as well they have an adjustable inner shield you can make higher or lower, The pic i attached is at the highest point.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts