Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace fork seals. I was on a five day trip and on day 3 I noticed oil dripping onto brake calipers and on to tire. The next day I checked the other fork and that was leaking aswell so I basically had both go on one trip. I eventually put the bike o the back up trailer and go lift home.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just been informed by dealer parts on back order. Lady called me and said should be May 25. I asked if was a prank call flipping bullshit that they don't have stock of a fork seal. I have had 9 ktms and never had this kind of service. Don't get me wrong my 1190 had lots off issues but never was made to wait long for parts. Very disappointed as I really liked this bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
90% of the fork seal leaks I've had was after having on trailer and tie-downs cinched down too tight. Rest was dried mud that got under seal lip, usually cleaned out with sliver of thin plastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never put my bike on a trailer but I do a lot of wheelies and sometimes as we all know the at hits or jumps into neutral and then comes done a bit hard. That been said this trip I was on I did not wheelie once. Also this bike should be able to withstand wheelies as it is an offroad bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I understand that the fork bushings, wipers and seals for the AT (Showa 45mm tube) are also used in the Honda CR series forks for MY 1989, 1990. Probably cross reference to other models as well.

A quick search on eBay gets lots of cheap results: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1989+Honda+CR+fork+seals.TRS0&_nkw=1989+Honda+CR+fork+seals&_sacat=0

Honda didn't make those fork seals, or the forks... Don't throw out the baby with the bath water...

Rob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer now says parts will be here 14 February. I called Dealer principle and he said he will make a plan to get earlier. Anyone else had leaking fork seals ??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your probably not in United States but RockyMountainATV has oem seal in stock.
SEAL SET, FR. FORK

Part# 51490-MJP-G51
Price: $17.67
$14.14

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Mate with dct at just told me both his seals also were leaking and he cleaned and seems ok now. Dealer also said their demo leaked. Seems to be a problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Holly **** men, that's not Honda quality any more.
Showa quality? Honda didn't make the seals or the forks. The issue is generally dirt, mud, bugs getting onto the fork slider, then into the seals, then the dirt creates a place where the seal doesn't seal anymore and oil falls out of the USD forks. The cleaning tools folks are talking about do solve most seal leaks on new bikes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts